Is the Octos Diesel powered?

twich

I was watching the 3rd Macross Zero OVA and when Nora corners Shin, it sounds like the vehicle (which I assume to be the Octos) is running a diesel engine.

Now, to look at this, it would make sense...the first subs that were used were these diesel/electric numbers, so it might use that technology, and a lot of larger boat use diesels as there engines (surface attack mode) The only things that stumps me is a diesel engine capable of producing enough electricity to power the mech and also power that high power laser cannon that we see bombard the beach.

Now, I had just assumed that like other "destroids" for lack of a better term...the unit would be nuclear powered...but listening closely, it sounds like the Octos is diesel powered. Now, what does that make the U.N. Spacy destroid? Is this nuclear powered? Or does it have an alternate power source?

What are your thoughts...if there are stats or perhaps an information source that settles the score as to what the power source is...I would appreciate anyone pointing it out.

Thanks,

Larry

It could have a separate power source for any beam weaponry, and use the diesel/fuel engine to power the normal stuff.

Maybe not all of them had the beam cannon as well.

If it's powered by internal combustion, then it may have big batteries/capacitors (like a diesel sub) for use underwater and for powering weapons.

But I'd have to think that regardless of what you heard, the most likely engine in something like that would be either gas turbine + batteries, or hydrogen fuel cell.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what is the general consensus? I would like to hear if maybe Nanashi or Egan Loo might be able to shed some light on this. I am really curious to find out exactly what powers these beasts.

Thanks

Larry T.

Well, what is the general consensus? I would like to hear if maybe Nanashi or Egan Loo might be able to shed some light on this. I am really curious to find out exactly what powers these beasts.

Thanks

Larry T.

The Octos is a variable combat system... to view images of it you can go here:

http://nanashi.macrossmecha.info/resrc/cat/vari/octos.html

Well, official (:p), that information has not been disclosed (to my knowledge), and if we fan want to speculate on the topic.... I would add to this, saying that I doubt the bad guys would have or even need a nuclear reactor for the Octos. I would say that it most likely uses a dual/multi-system method. It does sound like it uses a diesel engine over the ground and perhaps a gas-powered turbine was used for its fast surface movement on the water that we saw.

That is guess work of course. Maybe the next episode will reveal more....