Macross Cosplay

Commander McBride

Hey SchizophrenicMC, heres at least an idea of an outline on Roy's TV uniform. If I find more I'll list them for you!! B))

Well, thank you, kindly! I now have a chance at this. Now, to find the color pattern... I can't get much from the uniform, as it pertains minimally to the flightsuit. If Hik can point out where the colors go, (Actually, now I think of it, it might be in the OP... I hope so.) I can get started.

Wish it were bigger... Or Scaleable... :p Well, something's better than nothing.

Again, 505th, Thanks.

Not a problem, I found one other picture that might help you too. This one should be much bigger too!! I'm working on a Macross Zero flight uniform right now, so any all pictures are handy!! B))

Everything helps, although I had already started coloring the Grayscale image you gave me with a pic from Robotech.com for color reference... In Paint... Little-known fact: Roy Fokker and Roy Focker wore the exact same type of flight suit. :lol: More color reference! Yay!

If I find any good Shin Kudo, I'll send it your way. B))

Not that I'll likely find anything you don't already have :p

Looking at the helmet in this:post-9357-1232596932_thumb.png picture, it seems I have a bunch of hacking to do to my paintball helmet. It's kinda close to the closed design, but I'm gonna go for open, so... GRAB THE DREMEL! Hooray for soft, dremel-appropriate plastics. :) I'm gonna need 3 cans of spray paint remover(Was already used for a scout trooper cosplay... A LEGO scout trooper cosplay. And paint, hastily applied, remains in its horrid consistency.), 3 cans of spray primer, gray paint, black paint, navy blue, and I'm gonna need plastic, FG, or cardboard for the blue whatchits.

Honestly, I'm glad it was just a $25 helmet. Anyone got any ideas as to how to fill the holes (Plethora of them in the helmet, as it IS a paintball helmet) efficiently and cheaply? I've got all the logistics except that for the helmet.

maybe I should just start making helmets and cosplay props and putting them up on ebay lol.

Um as for a filler maybe get can of filler foam tap the inside and then fill the hole leaving enough for some bondo you can smooth on it. Probably cost about 3 to 5 dollars for the can of expanda foam and then 5 to 10 dollars for the bondo. That should give it a smooth surface to paint.

Like the foam here

074985004803md.jpg

Just fill cover with bondo sand and paint. Not really hard and cheap to boot.

Edited by Darrtallion

maybe I should just start making helmets and cosplay props and putting them up on ebay lol.

Um as for a filler maybe get can of filler foam tap the inside and then fill the hole leaving enough for some bondo you can smooth on it. Probably cost about 3 to 5 dollars for the can of expanda foam and then 5 to 10 dollars for the bondo. That should give it a smooth surface to paint.

Like the foam here

074985004803md.jpg

Just fill cover with bondo sand and paint. Not really hard and cheap to boot.

I just replaced my front door, so I got Great Stuff, but where would I find Bondo? I'm a little new to making cosplay props out of stuff that isn't PVC Pipe, Cardboard, duck tape, and coat hangers. Hehe :unsure:

Wait... Would that really work for a paintball helmet? There's a plethora of tiny holes (For air) in the top and side of the helmet. They run about 1/8 inch wide, 1/6" long, and about 1/16" deep... I don't think that would be effective. I think maybe a single cover over the holes would be best. I'm gonna have to brainstorm more ideas. That would work if it were a bike helmet (Which I'd use, if I could afford the extra $35 to buy one. I already have a trashed PB helmet), but it's for paintball. Thin-ass plastic.

Thanks, anyway.

It's like this: jt-usa-elite-headshield.jpg

As for my hole measures, I was at school, and I was mixing up my helmets. My other ones are full of the small ones I described.

This one is the exact one I'm using as my base. (Although it's about 2/3 painted (Sloppily, at that) white) I need some good spray paint remover. So far, even barbecue fluid and gasoline aren't even working. I dare not use napalm, lest it disolve the plastic as well.

I'm gonna do some stuff to it (Add cardboard/posterboard here and there) to get one closer to this: post-9357-1232664557_thumb.png

IMO, you're better off just making the helmet from scratch than using some base that isn't going to cut it cause you're still going to have to modify it.

The bill would be too small so you'd have to use materials to extend it and thicken it up a little, and having to put plates on it.

You'd have to cut the face guard completely off, ah screw it to much work for me lol that's for damn sure.

IMO, you're better off just making the helmet from scratch than using some base that isn't going to cut it cause you're still going to have to modify it.

The bill would be too small so you'd have to use materials to extend it and thicken it up a little, and having to put plates on it.

You'd have to cut the face guard completely off, ah screw it to much work for me lol that's for damn sure.

No, bull's long enough. I may have to get some cardboard and thicken it, but that's gonna be necessary no matter what, so I can get that ridge on the back of the bill and the front of the navy blue part of the helmet. My main issue with it (And one of the things I love about this one is that the top, the bill, and the mask can be separated) is cutting the bill to the right point. However, as with the rest of it, my dremel should do the job rather nicely.

What I will say is that I like modding stuff more than I like building from scratch. It works for me, as I can't get my hands on the materials to do it from scratch, let alone have skill, time, or money for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, that pic is scary as hell. Anyways, I'm trying to find where to get the jackets from Macross Frontier from. I've got some green cargo pants and the tank top, so if anyone has a link to buy one, or can direct me, I'd much appreciate it. Oh, and I don't wanna make one. I can customize toys, not good at fabric.

Trap or no trap Schizo, My eyes still burn from the ugliness!!!

By the way, how is your flight helmet coming along??

You know how to say It's a Trap backwards? Hare Shne-Schneek!

It's... less than 9000... I'm having trouble getting it together from a lack of time. (And money to gather supplies...)

I want the finish to come out smooth, but it's painted horribly, a product of trying to use it for a last-minute halloween costume. I may have to buy a new one, because everything I've tried to remove the paint (Which turned out to be spray primer) has failed. Gasoline, Alcohol, Naphtha, Acetone... Hell, I even dropped it in a vat of boiling water! <_< I MAY try napalm-B, but that would eat the plastic if I wasn't careful. I may just have to spend the $25 extra. I haven't even started on the flightsuit... DAMN!

Speaking of which, anyone got any ideas as to what would be good for to make the flightsuit? I need to figure out materials. Anyone behind the various DYRL? cosplays got any ideas?