Macross Cosplay

Commander McBride

You're simply describing girl-gawking. No different from checking out a redhead passing you in the street. ^_^ Nothing wrong with that, but if you don't care about the costume, might as well stick to the redhead. If that's all we want, why bother making it a costume thread? Make a "Photos of hot girls" thread instead, less pretentious. ;) Give credit where credit is due, especially if the thread is about costumes. An amazing costume is an amazing costume. :p Besides, most of these girls are the exception, not the rule, and a lot of them are helped along by "creative" camera work and photoshop. The camera lies like a dog. Ho-hum. End of discussion. Let's not start again please. (though I hear the real viciousness is in some of the hobbyists themselves. So many elitists according to my friends. Everything from skill to personal beauty to "I claim that character because i do it better/did it first" is judged. I thought this was suppose to be fun?) Ahh, politics. Cosplay politics are among the most fearsome indeed. <_<

Reminds me of Gillian Anderson's quip upon being informed of cosplay: "Is that a fetish?" ^_^

Back to cosplay photos, please. Here's that last one after a quick auto-level in the GIMP

post-1202-1247685953_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

LOL, reminds me of when I worked down in Anaheim and I was driving a coworker home and she saw a bunch of cosplayers out in front of the convention center and she just starts ripping into them... ridiculing why they would dress up like cartoon characters.

This coming from a woman who spends nearly all her free time making costumes for her Renaissance Fair guild.

LOL, that's awesome. But then, I've heard stories about how "costumers" tend to hate "cosplayers". Some cosplayers even use the other term to distance themselves from the elitism that sometimes happens. Though what's in a label? It's the exact same thing in the end - people making Halloween costumes for something other than Halloween, with photos and comments the candy. I'm grateful that I've never seen elitism in person. I've been ignored sure, but never really met a primadonna.

Maybe I just have lower/kinder standards coming from my own just above entry level skill and years of experience. All I care about is if they put the effort in and give a damn usually. It's pretty easy to tell. Though attitude goes a long way.

You're simply describing girl-gawking. No different from checking out a redhead passing you in the street. ^_^ Nothing wrong with that, but if you don't care about the costume, might as well stick to the redhead. If that's all we want, why bother making it a costume thread? Make a "Photos of hot girls" thread instead, less pretentious. ;) Give credit where credit is due, especially if the thread is about costumes. An amazing costume is an amazing costume.

Since you have shared your dollar it is only reasonable others have an opportunity to share their ten cents.

There is nothing wrong with people preferring average to attractive people over fat and unhealthy people cosplaying. Even casual anime fangirls candidly comment that some girls should "cover it up". Sure it is a personal choice whether someone cosplays, but not all do it for recognition or public approval. Now I do agree there are some excellent cosplayers that are not the most attractive or in the best of health. However, even you must acknowledge there are a hell of a lot more cosplayers who are better off covering it up than not. As for the pictures showing people coplaying in this thread, IMO these depict normal to attractive people which is why I would wager their specific pictures were posted and appreciated by most. :)

I concur an amazing costume is an amazing costume. But, wouldn't you agree cosplay involves a great deal MORE than just a good looking costume? Cosplaying is more than just superior costume designs, fabric, cutting, accessories, make up, anime/manga accuracy, and physical attractiveness of the performer. Merely focusing on any one aspect of cosplaying ignores the SUM of those parts in the cosplay presentation. If any kind of kudos or credit should be given, shouldn't it be when a successful "overall presentation" is achieved?

If that is the case is it really any wonder why many fans appreciate/vote favorably for normal and attractive cosplayers? :)

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Come on gang lets all stare at the frumpy girl with the hairlip in that really well sewed size 24 costume.

Makes total sense. What we're we thinking about only staring at cute Asian chicks in Macross costumes. How silly of us.

Fortress, that's fairly what I'm arguing. The whole, and the sum of it. Of course things should stay in good taste, I simply don't believe one must stick to whatever their body style dictates. It's a case by case thing as with anything. I have no problem with that. It's the "only hot girls in cosplay do it for me" argument. That's not focusing on the whole either. Then it's just a fetish thread. ^_^ So I suppose it's whatever motive brings you to look at this stuff. So yeah, moving on.

"What we're we thinking about only staring at cute Asian chicks in Macross costumes."

You know, my first comment in this thread actually was along the lines of, "I'd post images of me as Max, but I'm not a cute, Asian girl." :p

Captain Wilder.

post-2222-1247762083_thumb.jpg post-2222-1247762095_thumb.jpg post-2222-1247762110_thumb.jpg

post-2222-1247762126_thumb.jpg post-2222-1247762144_thumb.jpg post-2222-1247762157_thumb.jpg post-2222-1247762190_thumb.jpg

Looks like he has the proper body-type, a well styled wig and beard, good clothes and details on the gloves, even the facial scar and skin texture that makes him a scruffy veteran. Also the photography & photoshop work is well executed.

Edited by polidread

Captain Wilder.

DAMN! He's fine! I'd be all over tha-- oh wait....

Yup, too skinny. She'd make a better Ranka.

I dunno. She seems just right to me :) Mainly the face and eyes that do it. If she's too skinny, we could beef her up with grilled hippo cow :) Besides, I'm not sure if she's too skinny - maybe it's the camera angle that does it?

I still like her lots :)

Pete

huh, that michael is pretty good. Even has the character's facial expression.

Nah, it would've been better if he exposed his teeth in a flashy grin.

I'd follow that man to the end of the Earth...

*Stands on desk* Oh Captain! My Captain!

Edited by shiroikaze

Any invasion of Sheryl's & Ranka's!! Too bad no one took pics of the VF-1 Pilots in the background..... Those are VF-1 Flight suits/coveralls right?

Indeed, there was someone there on saturday wearing a DYRL flightsuit. I remember when those pictures were taken, I'd just come back from gtting a Gurren Laggann art book signed by two of it's directors and went to the lobby and found a ton of Macross cosplayers! It was awesome to see so many of them in one place, and not just from Frontier, but DYRL and M7 too! It was brilliant, marred only by the fact that I DIDN"T HAVE A CAMERA!!! AAAAARGH! Also there was one of the best Ozma's I'd ever seen as well as a Luca and a Brera. Basara even brought along some Fire Bomber on a stereo.

Another fun fact: one of the guys in the Anime Expo Idol contest sang "Get Free" for his entry, and half-time at the Masquerade was the winner of last year's AX Idol who sang 'Ai Oboete Imasuka' with accompaniment from two local school orchestras. If anyone else was there, I was the one going ape-sh*t and making a tit of myself. Good times...

Captain Wilder.

post-2222-1247762083_thumb.jpg post-2222-1247762095_thumb.jpg post-2222-1247762110_thumb.jpg

post-2222-1247762126_thumb.jpg post-2222-1247762144_thumb.jpg post-2222-1247762157_thumb.jpg post-2222-1247762190_thumb.jpg

Looks like he has the proper body-type, a well styled wig and beard, good clothes and details on the gloves, even the facial scar and skin texture that makes him a scruffy veteran. Also the photography & photoshop work is well executed.

Awesome to see more pics of him. He's actually gotten me to consider making my own.

i wonder why no one else is raving about Captain Wilder...

Could be because he was posted several pages ago, though only one pic.

Because wilder has a lack of TnA is my guess.

That too, perhaps. ^_^ There's been a few times when I get the feeling cosplay's a bit more of a girl's hobby. Makes sense given all the female characters in anime to cater to male audiences.

The Michael plushie's a great touch.

Indeed, there was someone there on saturday wearing a DYRL flightsuit. I remember when those pictures were taken, I'd just come back from gtting a Gurren Laggann art book signed by two of it's directors and went to the lobby and found a ton of Macross cosplayers! It was awesome to see so many of them in one place, and not just from Frontier, but DYRL and M7 too! It was brilliant, marred only by the fact that I DIDN"T HAVE A CAMERA!!! AAAAARGH! Also there was one of the best Ozma's I'd ever seen as well as a Luca and a Brera. Basara even brought along some Fire Bomber on a stereo.

Another fun fact: one of the guys in the Anime Expo Idol contest sang "Get Free" for his entry, and half-time at the Masquerade was the winner of last year's AX Idol who sang 'Ai Oboete Imasuka' with accompaniment from two local school orchestras. If anyone else was there, I was the one going ape-sh*t and making a tit of myself. Good times...

...Why did I choose to miss AX this year :(