Macross Cosplay

Commander McBride

I think I've seen that before. It's an awful jacket. Even allowing for lighting and bad photography on the colors, the logo is indeed upside down, the whole things too long, and the worst in the red paneling is way too narrow. It doesn't even show up on the back. Premade cosplay on ebay is fairly common, but that's a pitiful effort.

ermm... I wouldn't pay $99 for one and the colors seem off for some reason. It's a great idea but I'm not that desperate to get one. smile.gif

Well you do get more than just the jacket, pants as well and possibly a shirt it seems....a complete set just needs boots too.

I think I've seen that before. It's an awful jacket. Even allowing for lighting and bad photography on the colors, the logo is indeed upside down, the whole things too long, and the worst in the red paneling is way too narrow. It doesn't even show up on the back. Premade cosplay on ebay is fairly common, but that's a pitiful effort.

I sent an email yesterday in regards to the color choice and the upside SMS logo, I didn't hear back to see if those were changed. My guess they either didn't understand what I was telling them, or they think I'm an otaku nut case.

I just got a response, wasn't related to what I asked them about at all...here were my questions.

I saw that you are pretty much the only ones who have done a SMS Jacket from Macross Frontier. However I have two concerns with it before I even feel like buying it that I would like to bring up. 1) The color of the jacket seems off. It should be black and red, not grey and red, has this been corrected? Can it be corrected? Also, the SMS patch on the right breast of the jacket is reversed going SWS, will the one you send me be corrected to the proper SMS styling?

If those issues are corrected I'll buy it.

Their response.

We do comissions, if you would like, please send us pictures and we give qutations, thanks

Hey! wannabe Alto cosplayers, i made a quick step by step for folding his model of paper plane:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Pol...20F/PAPER01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Pol...20F/PAPER02.jpg

i saw on a certain imageboard that people were arguing about how it looked like, so i made this one for them,

and it would be a good idea to share it with you, too !

have fun.

Thank you so much ^_^

I wasn't quite sure what the best place to post this was, but I think I will put something here. For Halloween I made an SMS uniform, and I though I would talk about it a bit, and share some pictures. When I think of "Cosplay" I think of someone making a costume that is trying to look like a walking cartoon, a perfect three-dimensional representation of a two dimensional drawing. I have seen pictures of some other SMS jackets, and they looked like someone trying to be a cartoon, and most of the time I don't think it really "works". For this I wanted to do something different. I wanted to make a "real" jacket that if someone decided to draw a picture of it, it might look like what you see in the anime.

I also had some real world concerns that effected what I was doing. I am not all that great at sewing, so I decided to use an existing jacket and modify it rather that making something from scratch. I also wanted a jacket I could wear as often as possible. Since I live in the mojave desert in California, it would need to as light as it could be, and look good. I decided what I wanted was a light windbreaker, like the pilots in Top Gun were wearing, only with macross style. B))

I bought an "Athletics Works" brand jacket from Walmart that I thought looked similar to the SMS one, and a yard of berry red fabric. I ripped out the batting used for insulation to make it lighter. Then I added an inch of fabric along the front zipper, and two inches along the bottom. The pointed panels under each arm were the hardest to figure out, and took a lot of test fitting to make sure they were wide enough when I was wearing the jacket, and that the front edges were parallel to the front stripes. I could not find a red zipper anywhere in town to replace the black one, and I don’t think I have the skill to do it on my own anyway. I know the jackets waist is supposed to be much higher, 3 or 4 inches at least, but again, that kind of modification is beyond my skill level.

I am a digital artist, and I had already made clean Vector line drawings of the SMS logo and the shoulder patches for my Avatar, so I took them and went to a local shop that does digital sewing machine embroidery, and had them make the two red Macross 25 fleet patches for the shoulders, and went to a Trophy Shop that makes laser engraved name badges, and had them make an SMS badge for me. I decided to have them make the SMS logo in a metallic brushed gold rather than yellow because I thought it looked much classier, and more “real” than yellow. Unfortunately none of the pictures really do it justice, it looks much better in person. <_<

I am quite happy with the final results, I think it looks very nice, and very “real”. Perhaps it is a little too real, I was at a church Halloween party and nobody realized I WAS wearing a costume. :blink: For those who might be curious I paid $15 for the jacket, $5 for the fabric, $10 for the patches, $18 for the SMS badge, $10 for the belt and $15 for the green cargo pants, for a grand total of $73! Not too bad. :lol:

post-8427-1225743912_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1225744547_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1225744648_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1225744677_thumb.jpg

post-8427-1225744156_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1225744227_thumb.jpg post-8427-1225744336_thumb.jpgpost-8427-1225744378_thumb.jpg

Edited by J.T. Silversmith

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/159964/ :D

and - http://www.cosplay.com/costumes/p1_s81550

Just check out Adella, she's is REALLY talented, look at her Aeris - http://www.cosplay.com/costume/12/

and her Sheryl page, with pic i hadn't seen before.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone have any idea why can I never see the pics Dana posts? The site loads, but the pics never appear.

Pics address have links,my photo is less,because shooting other cosplayer~~~~~~~

Local Album is slow,sorry,

I have`t often used the international album, Replacement album in the future.