Macross Cosplay

Commander McBride

I could never understand the appeal of having a commission done. Particularly on something simple like this. It lacks the whole "I made this" pride to it. Granted, my friend did the actual machine sewing, so it's no 100% hand made by me, but doing the design work and having full control is much better than relaying entirely on someone else. I've done that once, and it's not fun. Last thing you want is to spend good money to find that you could've done it better yourself for less. Though I suppose if you just want it done, it's an option.

Trust me, if you can find a cheap jacket, adding some red material is nothing too hard. The most trouble we've had is shortening the sleeves. Barring some style difference caused by the jacket being bought on a whim, it's pretty dead on.

Though that's just me I guess. ^_^

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I'm being lazy and buying the Cospa shirt.

Just hope Japanese XL will fit me... will it?

I'm 195cm (about 6 foot, 2 inches) and while I'm not fat - or at least...I don't think I'm fat...that is - I have a fast metabolism, so I tend to bloat after meals but then quickly regain a good waste in hours... still... will XL fit me?

nice work on the patches and respect to you guys for working on your own shirt.

Pete

I'm about 6ft and Cospa's M sizes fit me pretty well. I might be skinnier than you, but I'm guessing unless you're really big around a XL will probably be okay.

Gentlemen, I present The Jacket

Before

post-1202-1222433817_thumb.jpg post-1202-1222434040_thumb.jpg

After

post-1202-1222433978_thumb.jpgpost-1202-1222434021_thumb.jpgpost-1202-1222433842_thumb.jpgpost-1202-1222433866_thumb.jpgpost-1202-1222433956_thumb.jpg

Note that these were taken before final hand stitching. Better front photos to come, hopefully. These were taken at about 5 in the morning at my friend's house.

My GOD! Who beat Sheryl with the ugly stick?!??! Please!! Adella only!!

Man, if you're going to be that bias, maybe I won't post my pics from Yaoi-con... :rolleyes:

I suppose, my ex gf told me that in other countries they're a little less strick on cosplay regulations so you can show off a bit more depending on the character. If the character calls for something sexy and revealing it's okay based on your age or something.

However hear in the states, if you show off a bit to much then the brigade comes by and says "here's a towel" or duct tape.

Which makes sense seeing how many female anime fans are under the age of 18 and there are minors in the area. But seeing how we all learn what sex is when we're in elementary school, it shouldn't be that huge of a deal....or whatever that's just my opinion on the sexy revealing cosplay matter.

I haven't heard back from Cosplay1.com for my quote yet, I'm a bit dissapointed by that, but if I don't hear back from them on my payday then I'm doing other things with my big fat paycheck.

Yeah, I know that at DragonCon, here in Atlanta, there seems to be a separation between evening festivities and daytime festivities. The daylight hours seem to be less risque and a bit more family friendly. It's been know to get less family friendly at night, but there are no hard and fast rules it seems. DragonCon is primarily for adults, IMO. You tend to see much more revealing costumes(worn by adults). Heck, there are some women wearing nothing more than a skimpy G-string, pasties, and body paint. :o Not, that I'm complaining. :p But, I would never take my daughter to DragonCon.

In contrast to Anime Weekend Atlanta which is another heavy cosplay event. This con is dominated by teens and pre-teens. Subsequently, it is highly restrictive with respect to costume rules and regulations. I tend not to attend AWA so much because I can feel downright awkward cruising the con with all the "kids'.

I'm not dissing this cosplay people, the effort they put into this is outstanding, but seriously, can't the guys grow a beard!? or put some fake beard at least?? I mean, such a hard work for the hair, clothing, contact lenses whatever instead of just painting youserlf a silly beard

Major points for the hair!

Anyway, personally I think the "Ranka" cosplayers are faulted only in one category: age.

I mean they seem way too old! :) Or at the very least find a fairly short girl!

Another point, find someone's baby sister to be Klan's "miclone" form. And take pics of her runing around yelling at people!

That would be humorous!!! :)

Edited by Star Dragon

Here's a quick pic from the Aki Matsuri in SF's Japantown the other day off my cell. My weid hand position had to do with hurrying my damn friend up as he was keeping us all waiting, so he apparently caught me mid movement. I officially registered as Ozma due to beard and presence of another Alto. That, and high ponytails are a bitch to get nice... I'll post the Yaoicon pics whenever my friend actually sends them to me (which could be anywhere from soon to sometime next decade). I do have a crap RAZR pic though if need be. The fact that the pics survived at all is a miracle as the card formatted itself no sooner than right after they were transferred.

post-1202-1223357961_thumb.jpg

And let's not be silly about height and whatnot. My friend just had an acquantance kick both me and him from a cosplay group simply due to height. It's a bull reason. i can see the amusement in it, but it's not that big a deal. At least it shouldn't be. If we can have female Altos, Michel's and Ozmas, we can have tall Rankas and Klans. ^_^

I like macross alot, matter of fact, I have been a fan since I say dyrl, before the berlin wall ever went down, and I even got a tattoo (which I have appointment in a month and a half to get it redone and to add some stuff. BUT I find it very weird and creepy when I see people forcing them selves to look like a fictional character that he/she does not look nothing like. Ex. star trek nerds, NARUTO, ROBOTECH (yes I said it), and so many animes and sci fi shows. Macross is different then all these new animes and fads I see kids doing now a days. I like Macross Plus, will you see me coloring my skin grey or silver, dieing my hair green, and throwing on a orange jump suit and white gloves.........NO...I wont ........unless I was smoking some really good stuff lol (kidding). Macross has some class except macross 7 :lol: . Macross is more mature and requires taste its not like all these animes I see teenagers and nerdy kids watching. Its hot when I see busty jap girls dressing up as sheryl . But lets be honest say one day your walking down Little Tokyo with some friends from work and you see some overweight young ADULTS jumping around in orange jump suits with make up as whiskers, and paper like knifes, like they took some serous drugs that my neighbor did during his tour in VEITNAM. It kills the imagination for me when I see some one dressing up as my all time favorite character that he just slaughtered the image of. Lets preserve macross and not hour it out. -Just my two cents

Edited by deadghost

Wow. Thanks for taking the stereotypical approach and bashing cosplayers with nothing but ignorance and mislogic. First of all, no one does this outside of conventions and festivals where it's become a rather accepted and appreciated part of the event. And even if they do (not everyone's the same after all) and can assure you that they're not jumping up and down like addicts the way you depicted. Your LT analogy is a gross misrepresentation. Secondly, very few "force themselves" to look like a character. Rarely do I see someone drastically alter their regular appearance for a costume. The most drastic I've seen is a guy shave his head for Psycho Mantis. Big whoop. There's even a ton of people that constently only cosplay characters of their body type, which is kind of sad to someone like me, who believes cosplay is a part of fandom. Though some just like to join in and be in costume as well, the costume not mattering as much as just being a part of things. So just like everything else, cosplay attracts people for different reasons. Wigs and makeup can be taken off. So no one's forcing themselves to do anything.

Where's the harm in it? How is someone killing a character for you just because they're not anorexic or GAR enough as a FICTIONAL character? "Oh NOES Sheryl has a pot belly and Ozma's too short" If one could only cosplay as characters one resembled, there'd be a lot of characters left out as few people look anything like idealized character designs. It's pretty much a physical impossibility nine times out of ten. I've seen some so-so costumes of favorite characters, but they don't make me care less for them, and it can be even nice to see that other people like them (like how I'm amazed at the number of Rankas when she gets so much flak here). Not to mention how satisfying it can be when people recognize your obscure costume (some people won't even do characters they think won't be acknowledged).

How can you not get why someone would cosplay if you've gone so far as to get a tattoo? How is making and wearing a jacket from a show you enjoy any less odd than permanently marking your body with it? I also love how you disapprove of cosplay, yet actively say you find some people that do it hot. Now that is creepy. ^_^;;That's like the photographers that obviously are taking pictures of the cute girls with the costume as an excuse. Cosplaying Macross damages it? How? Do you have any idea how many people decide to watch something because of an awesome costume or skit they saw? Yes, there are some poorly done costumes, and yes people generally aren't as attractive as the characters they dress as, but what right have you to say it's something only a druggie would do, or that it's any creepier than having someone ink Minmay or a Valkyrie onto your arm. (for the record, I have nothing against tattoos, and appreciate them like cosplay, just making a point). It a fun activity that harms no one and celebrates something you enjoy that takes some courage to do. It can build confidence and allow you to meet new, like minded people while showing off your fandom and skills. What's so wrong about it? Do you really want to be like the elitists that bash some cosplayers just because they aren't as skilled or are overweight? They're sadly out there, and proof or the courage needed to actually do this.

Also, if you think Macross is so different from other anime, you're largely mistaken. MF itself appeals to the Bleach and Naruto crowd just as much as it does the "mature" crowd. Get off your delusional high horse please.

Keep your petty change. ^_^ Sorry if I'm being rude, everyone's entitled to an opinion, but your logic is vastly flawed. <_< You don't think much of cosplay, that's fine. I have no problem with you not liking it. I DO have a problem with you saying it's harmful, creepy and parallel to substance abuse. That's just messed up. Particularly when it's no weirder than forever having Minmay or whomever stare lifelessly from wherever you pasted her face. I can take off my makeup after all. ^_^ Besides, if you don't like it, why are you even in this thread? Don't click on a cosplay thread and I guarantee you we creepy cosplayers won't be an issue for you. There are plenty of sites where you can find your "hot, busty jap(anese) girls", without the weird costumes.. :rolleyes:

Hikuro, could you post pictures of the real patches when you get them? I'm curious as to how they look.

I'm debating redoing the sleeves on my own jacket. At least loosening them up a bit, as they're mildly restrictive as is (the left moreso).

Has anyone noticed this utter beauty??? Who is she!? I must marry her! :)

fb5z5.jpg

And here she is singing at the Mall! :

17bhg8.jpg

The dress and boots are just perfect! In fact, I would love to get my girlfriend a pair of such boots for Christmas...

Anyways, I'll go back and read the previous posts because I only Mercurial's Morph's post just above, but I agree with Merc Morph: Cosplay is fun! It's great fun!

Heck - I can't understand people who have something against cosplay... it's like being against Halloween or something...

Besides; we allow people we idolize/admire to influence how we dress, how we look, how we think - artists are always inspiring us in every facet of our life - Cosplay is a great opportunity for us to interpret our favorite characters in our own way and give them that special something just from us.

It's just theater - street theater really... and there are lots of "normal" folks way creepier than cosplayers :)

Anyways - hope this Ranka hasn't been posted, if she has, forgiveness - but I wanted to share and say how wonderful she looks!

Pete

Well written Mercurial Morpheus. I admit I get a chuckle when I see a bad costume or someone that has seriously picked the wrong character to cosplay. However, I would never come down on them, and I actually admire their effort because it is far more than I would ever do. I think it takes real guts to cosplay when you know you look nothing like the character and you can bet that people will poke fun at you for it.

Edited by sharky

I like monsters and stuff a lot, matter of fact, I have been a fan of witches and mummies, ghosts and pirates, the sexy catgirl, and whoever this year's cool movie character was since I first saw them, way before the Hindenburg burst into an inferno of hydrogen gas (I have now legitimized my position). BUT I find it very weird and creepy when I see people forcing themselves to look like a fictional character that he/she does not look anything like. Every October 31st I see this! Classic movie monsters and folktales are different than all these new creatures and fads (new monsters, you know who I'm talking about: Cloverfield! Smoke monster from Lost! The Relic, Mimic, Species!) I see kids doing now a days. I like Frankenstein, but will you see me assembling my body out of remains of corpses and nuts and bolts? NO! Unless I'm shot up in the line of duty and have to be reconstruced as the ultimate in law enforcement technology and robotics, then forced to grapple with the essential question of where my humanity has gone. It's hot when I see (insert letcherous and potentially misogynistic description here) (insert potential racial epithet, disgused as abbreviation here) girls dressing up as Bride of Frankenstein. But let's be honest, say one day you're walking down your neighborhood on Halloween and you see all these PEOPLE jumping up and down in crazy costumes like they're on some kind of sugar high from free CANDY or something. It kills the imagination for me when I see somebody dressing up as my favorite character. Let's preserve classic literature and/or films, and not...

oh what am I saying. Dressing up is fun, we've almost all done it a few times, be it for halloween or a convention or a film or a wedding or date or a party or whatever. I won't poop on your hobbies, don't poop on mine, and don't poop on people who Cosplay either. Actually, if your hobby is kidnapping or burning crosses or something, I might poop on your hobby.

Edited by chillyche

I'm not dissing this cosplay people, the effort they put into this is outstanding, but seriously, can't the guys grow a beard!? or put some fake beard at least?? I mean, such a hard work for the hair, clothing, contact lenses whatever instead of just painting youserlf a silly beard

If they're as asian as I'm native american, then, no, no they can't grow the beard. LOL :)

I'm Asian too (Filipino) and my beard grows back like untrimmed bush in like... less than 2 days after shaving :p Beard growth isn't tied to ethnicity ya know... :rolleyes:

Actually, it is. Hair is very much influenced by ethnic background. Though it also depends on person genetics. Genetics through and through. Some races just grow facial hair better than others. Though I have a friend with Italian and Portugal blood that couldn't grow a beard to save his life. ^_^