Custom avatars

Hey mods and admins,

I just thought I'd ask what the new policy is with custom avatars, if such things are even allowed. I see the new "Test" forum will be cleaned out every few weeks, so where would a person upload an avatar if they wished to do so?

By the way, I see we finally got some new emoticons! :ph34r:

Hey... I found something interesting!

There is a way to post an avatar when editing your avatar settings, therefore they don't necessarily need to be posted in a thread to be hosted on MW.

That is Bitchin'! B)

We don't need anymore Avatar threads. We can upload our own avatar to the forums.

My Controls-> Edit Avatar Settings -> or Upload an Avatar

You can either host your avatar offsite or upload to the forums directly.

We don't need anymore Avatar threads. We can upload our own avatar to the forums.

My Controls-> Edit Avatar Settings -> or Upload an Avatar

You can either host your avatar offsite or upload to the forums directly.

Is that what you did? I ask because I don't think it works correctly.

Weird, uploading works for some images but on some I get an error and they were all pretty much the same file size too... Finally had to rely on an off site host just to be able to post my latest avatar.

Works for me. Maybe it depends on the format (gif/jpeg/etc.)? Does it handle animated gifs? Or maybe you need to set the size if the picture's dimensions are too big?

Related question: is there any way to put a tag under the avatar like in the old forum?

Trust me folks it does work. The problem, as I've seen it is that people are uploading pics that are greater than the 64x64 pixel size limit. My little animated gif is 60x60 and it uploaded without problems last night. Anybody who is having problems needs to reduce the size or crop their pics. To test it, I tried uploading a random pic for an avatar which was quite beyond the 64x64 size limit and it did return an error.

If you guys are having problems, check the pixel size of your avatar. If it's beyond the 64x64 size limit, you have to reduce it. You can even crop it. Just keep the pixel size to a maximum of 64x64 or less.

As for the tags....ask Shawn. It will be up to him whether or not he enables it.

I was having problems loading my avatar. (BTW, I'm using this avatar across several IB websites ie Bob Zany and Lebheads)

I noticed something happening with the IB software. I got the same error message here. If you're trying to have an avatar from somewhere on the web, check the adress when sending. It screws up first. Relook at it. you'll notice 2 http://'s there on the adress. Get rid of one, resubmnit. You'll be fine after that.

avatars can be directly uploaded-they do not need to be posted in a thread(in fact I discourage this as the test forum is going to be cleaned out ever other week or two)

64x64 pixel max

gif,jpeg,jpg,swf,png file types

S

avatars can be directly uploaded-they do not need to be posted in a thread(in fact I discourage this as the test forum is going to be cleaned out ever other week or two)

Was this just a size issue... IE we were running out of room?

No one has figured out how to add custom member titles, yet. They are there, as it is listed in the member profile page.

I believe Shawn has to enable it (when he finishes reading the manual mind you). And since he hasn't finished configuring everything....wait.

No one has figured out how to add custom member titles, yet. They are there, as it is listed in the member profile page.

I believe Shawn has to enable it (when he finishes reading the manual mind you). And since he hasn't finished configuring everything....wait.

that is correct.

by default the member title feature is set to change after you reach a certain number of posts (100 or 1000 - something like that). however, it can be immediately enabled by setting that to 0.

that is correct.

by default the member title feature is set to change after you reach a certain number of posts (100 or 1000 - something like that). however, it can be immediately enabled by setting that to 0.

Then I guess this one must be set to 1000. :(

• 4 weeks later...