Robotech Question

BFG-1 Gigan

I dunno if they will ever finish sentinels...

There was an attempt at a CG robotech (robotech 3000) a couple of years back that most fans hated... featured non transforming mech designs... don't remember when in the timeline it was supposed to have taken place.. I wanna say during Sentinels but I think I'm wrong.

Currently there is a traditional animation series in the works: robotech 2004 but I dunno anything else about it but I think it's taking place around new generation time since it's supposed to feature alphas.

oh and... I hope Maek adopts macross plus into robotech because that would be super k3wl!

...please don't hurt me...

Robotech is an offshoot of Macross, just like Charles Manson is an offshoot of Jesus.  :rolleyes:

I wouldn't really take it that far.

It's really due to Robotech that Macross has a large fanbase in the states, granted it wasn't in it's original form, but it's influance was one of the major ones way back then. Also it was kinda inventive on how they edited and cut and pasted the three shows togther...I mean it's certainly not a hack job like Fox's Escaflowne or Cardcaptors...

Edited by BFG-1 Gigan

it's an offshoot, it also is basicly another version of Super Dimention Fortress, Southern Cross, and Mospeeda.

:blink: ...say what!?

Thats like saying "super space wars" is an offshoot or another version of Star wars episode 4, Star Trek 3: the Search for Spock, and Battle Beyond the Stars because "super space wars" uses footage from all three of those unrelated movies to tell a new story...

In short Robotech is NOT an offshoot or even another version of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeda...

As for your original question...supposedly another robotech TV series is in the works, that and there was a recently released line of comic books...your best bet for Robotech information is on the official web site, not here...this site is dedicated to Macross not Robotech...

I mean it's certainly not a hack job like Fox's Escaflowne or Cardcaptors...

uhh.. uhh... dude your kinda walkin a fine line with that kind of talk around here.

personally i saw robotech myself and enjoyed it enough...

but this IS MACROSSworld, and most people here are purists.

robotech is not macross, it has nothing to do with macross other than the the animation and some names. thats the stance most people have on it here.

if you like robotech you can always try www.robotech.com too, here it is mostly a macross fanbase.

Robotech is an offshoot of Macross, just like Charles Manson is an offshoot of Jesus.  :rolleyes:

It's really due to Robotech that Macross has a large fanbase in the states, granted it wasn't in it's original form, but it's influance was one of the major ones way back then. Also it was kinda inventive on how they edited and cut and pasted the three shows togther...I mean it's certainly not a hack job like Fox's Escaflowne or Cardcaptors...

Hmm. You must have seen a differnet Robotech than I did... The Robotech I saw had bad and obvious music, and severly changed characters over SDF-Macross... Not that its bad, but WAY different.

You mentioned you haven't seen SDF-Macross... You really need to see it. The characters are completely different, especially Minmay, Focker, and Misa.

Carcaptors & Fox's Escaflowne were nowhere near as messed up as Macross was in the conversion to "robotech," seriously.

As for those who say robotech isn't the same as Macross, Southern Cross, & Mospeada, I'd like for you to explain to me how it can exist without them. When you take all that's original about robotech, and set it by itself, you have nothing except a bad dub track, some bad music, and not enough remains of a story to make a lick of sense.

Carcaptors & Fox's Escaflowne were nowhere near as messed up as Macross was in the conversion to "robotech," seriously.

As for those who say robotech isn't the same as Macross, Southern Cross, & Mospeada, I'd like for you to explain to me how it can exist without them. When you take all that's original about robotech, and set it by itself, you have nothing except a bad dub track, some bad music, and not enough remains of a story to make a lick of sense.

Well for one example Mospeeda didn't do to well in japan in it's initial launch. Robotech was also basicly an "introduction" to many, things weren't the same way back when with the internet and fileshare, and DVDs, you really had to know where to look to get decent anime in some areas. granted Robotech was made for kids, but it kinda sprouted it's own little culture with all the books and all. Granted it couldn't have existed without Macross, but even though how altered Robotech was, it did introduce people to Macross...

Also Cardcaptos also skipped the first three episodes and tried to make Lei the main character, Escaflowne combined two episodes into one and never finished it's run.

Edited by BFG-1 Gigan

Well for one example Mospeeda didn't do to well in japan in it's initial launch.

Considering that the main focus of robotech merchandise has always been Macross, the main memory robotech fans have is Macross, etc, I'd easily say it didn't do so hot over here either.

Robotech was also basicly an "introduction" to many, things weren't the same way back when with the internet and fileshare, and DVDs, you really had to know where to look to get decent anime in some areas. granted Robotech was made for kids, but it kinda sprouted it's own little culture with all the books and all. Granted it couldn't have existed without Macross, but even though how altered Robotech was, it did introduce people to Macross...

You know what would have also introduced people to Macross? RELEASING MACROSS!!!! You however fail to distinguish how robotech is its own thing, when fundamentally, it's just a mesh.

Also Cardcaptos also skipped the first three episodes and tried to make Lei the main character, Escaflowne combined two episodes into one and never finished it's run.

Robotech has aliented itself from all Macross sequels (far more than 3 episodes), trashed the soundtrack, trashed the anti-war story, trashed any real technilogical continuity in favor of "protoculture," etc.

Robotech has also failed to survive on anything "originally" made for it. This includes robotech "the movie," robotech II the sentinels, & robotech 3000. And considering HG has been saying the new robotech series has been in pre-production for over 3 years now....

It's really due to Robotech that Macross has a large fanbase in the states, granted it wasn't in it's original form, but it's influance was one of the major ones way back then.

Debatable.

Also it was kinda inventive on how they edited and cut and pasted the three shows togther...I mean it's certainly not a hack job like Fox's Escaflowne or Cardcaptors...

Uhhh, no.

Cardcaptors and Escaflowne at least kept the hack job to ONE series.

Robotech is like ...

LEt's make a new series called Magitech. It starts with Vision of Escaflowne. Only there is no parallel universe crap. The entire story takes place on Earth(because they renamed Gaia), in the rain forests of Brazil. Then flows into Carcaptors because Henrietta(Hitomi got renamed) was Sarah's(Sakura got renamed) mother. It takes place in LA because Henrietta moved there for the school system. We don't see Henrieta because she's away on a business trip to New York, so Sarah's uncle takes care of her.

And then Yu-Gi-Oh is a sequel to Carcaptors, and is about Bill, the third mystic knight(never mind that none of the series HAVE mystic knights, Magitech does) that's trying to recapture the Poker deck of the Gods because it accidentaly got lost again after Sarah retrieved the cards(because the gods told her to like they used to tell her mother to do stuff).

If that happend Robotech would be as bad as Cardcaptors or Escaflowne.

I am one of the "first generation" of anime fans...I was into anime long before Robotech aired on TV...Robotech only really introduced me to Southern Cross as by 1985 I already had seen much of and had quite a bit of knowledge about both Macross and Mospeda (as well as other series like Orguss, Dougram, and Xambungle)...heck, back when Robotech first aired I remember scrambleing around the snail mail anime clubs looking for L-Gaim and the then new Zeta Gundam series (not to mention the forever elusive Galvion)...

So you have to forgive me if I don't share your enthusiasm for Robotech as that twisted knot of a show is still something us long time anime fans are trying to set the record strait on :rolleyes:

Yare yare....

I smell troll bait all over this. MODS!!!!!!

I mean it's certainly not a hack job like Fox's Escaflowne or Cardcaptors...

Okay, correction time. Fox's Escaflowne was the dubbed/edited for US audience version. It was not hacked. It only eliminated episode 1 from the series. Other than that, Escaflowne was the same series that was showed in Japan. Card Captors was mildly hacked compared to Robotech. Card Captors wanted to emphasis a male presense, hence Shao Lin as the central character, not Sakura. But in all respects, Card Captors wasn't hacked, that bad compared to Robotech. And for a fact, Kodansha (producers of CCS) agreed that editing it for the US audience was fine. In light of that, Pioneer released the original version of CCS for the fans of the show. So both sides were happy. But in all, neither one was mixed in with other series and pasted together. Both were their own series.

Well it's Kidna hard tot track down the Macross Animego DVDs, I don't really do the Fileshare thing, so it's whatever I can get in stores or online.

Obviously you need to try harder.

Edited by azrael

Okay, correction time. Fox's Escaflowne was the dubbed/edited for US audience version. It was not hacked. It only eliminated episode 1 from the series.

OT a bit, but I'm curious, why was episode # 1 cut? I don't recall there being any 'questionable' content.

Graham

Okay, correction time. Fox's Escaflowne was the dubbed/edited for US audience version. It was not hacked. It only eliminated episode 1 from the series.

OT a bit, but I'm curious, why was episode # 1 cut? I don't recall there being any 'questionable' content.

Graham

They combined two episode sinto one

They wanted to arract the boys so they got rid of the girley stuff...

go easy on the guy, he's just "IGNANT"

robotech and macross are NOT the same thing, just remember that fact and you'll be ok.

really its not a good idea to come to an established forum like MacrossWorld.com and start saying "this is better than that" etc. try readin around the boards for a few days. there are VOLUMES of information on macross, and the diffrences between it and robotech on this site.

robotech vs macross is a common and pointless topic on these boards and i'm not sure if you'll survive that pissin contest with croud it attracts.

if you want to know about robotech, just ask

if you want to knoww about the diffrences or macross alone, try the newbie thread.

if you want to debate wich is better, i seriously suggest you take it elsewhere.

Edited by KingNor

Graham

Possibly the main reason - as I think BFG-1 has said - is that the first episode of Escaflowne is a little misleading as to the direction it will take at first, and full of that lovey-dovey romantic stuff and boring conversation that little boys hate, because as we all know no-one else over the age of six watches cartoons... :rolleyes:

Also, IIRC, Van ends up absolutely covered in blood from the dragon he fights, though I believe other violent scenes were kept in so...

Well i just figured that the two series are kinda related, figured that there would be fans of both here

Kinda like how Diaclone is to Transformers sorta...

Speaking as a fan of both... they are not "related" per se, about as related as my dining room table, made of oak, is to an Oak tree...

Around here there are a wide difference of opinion between RT and Macross. Its a very fine line to walk when you talk about both in the same context. RT fans that are not fans of Macross don't last, Macross fans that are not RT fans usualy ignore the RT fans... until they spat off about Robotech and Macross in context thats biased (usualy when its toward the RT side ;) )

(anyone keeping track, has he received more flames than I yet? Or am I still the "flame master"?)

Just out of curosity, this is a question on the Escaflowne series, I bought the original DVD set that came together with the black escaflowne figure from Bandai USA. Would Episode 1 from that set be the edited one or the original Japanese TV version ?

Just out of curosity, this is a question on the Escaflowne series, I bought the original DVD set that came together with the black escaflowne figure from Bandai USA. Would Episode 1 from that set be the edited one or the original Japanese TV version ?

I dunno, never seen the edited episode...in the original Japanese episode everything happens on Earth with Hitomi and Van arriveing in Gaia at the very end...one minute they are in the track stadium, Van shows up chaseing the dragon...Hitomi and friends flee to some sort of shrine, Van kills the dragon takeing it's heart...Hitomi and Van get transported to Gaia...when they arrive it's night...Hitomi is alone and stumbles upon that old hermit dude (what was his name?) who becomes interested in her pendiant, Van shows up to fight him off and the episode ends sorta on a cliff hanger as it seems the two of them are surrounded by monsters that come out from the nearby woods (as episode 2 starts it turns out those "monsters" are the friendly wolf/dog people (I can't recall what they were named) who end up takeing Hitomi and Van back to his castle)

At the risk of hijacking the thread to debate something else, Fox's Cardcaptors was unwatchable. You can argue that RT was the more hacked because it combined the three series, but it was still watchable (I know you will say it isn't :p).

Fox had changed the characters just as much in CC as anything Macek did. The general plot remained the same, (but then so did the Macross portion of RT) but with the removeal of the various love triangles much of the color was lost in the series reducing it to the level of any other action oriented saturday morning cartoon (which is what Fox wanted).

/2 cents.

That said, this guy really needs to get ahold of the Animego DVDs.

I dunno, never seen the edited episode...in the original Japanese episode everything happens on Earth with Hitomi and Van arriveing in Gaia at the very end...one minute they are in the track stadium, Van shows up chaseing the dragon...Hitomi and friends flee to some sort of shrine, Van kills the dragon takeing it's heart...Hitomi and Van get transported to Gaia...when they arrive it's night...Hitomi is alone and stumbles upon that old hermit dude (what was his name?) who becomes interested in her pendiant, Van shows up to fight him off and the episode ends sorta on a cliff hanger as it seems the two of them are surrounded by monsters that come out from the nearby woods (as episode 2 starts it turns out those "monsters" are the friendly wolf/dog people (I can't recall what they were named) who end up takeing Hitomi and Van back to his castle)

oh darn...!.i think mine is the edited version, i do not remember the hermit in the first episode. The hermit only appear around episode 2 or 3 when Hitomi first meet Allen.

oh darn...!.i think mine is the edited version, i do not remember the hermit in the first episode. The hermit only appear around episode 2 or 3 when Hitomi first meet Allen.

I have the DVDs, and I bought them before the box set, however, I don't think they would would make another DVD version for the boxset.

The first eps. takes place on Earth, and is more about Hitomi's everyday life (school, track practice, talking about her crush with her best friend - more or less in that order).

The key here, is that Van only appears right at the end of the eps. when Hitomi is running.

oh darn...!.i think mine is the edited version, i do not remember the hermit in the first episode. The hermit only appear around episode 2 or 3 when Hitomi first meet Allen

I just watched it again...the hermit guy isn't in the first episode (damn my failing memory for bringing it up :p ) guess I got it confused with hitomi meeting Allen...most of the first episode deals with Hitomi's life on earth...her crush on the track team captain, her friends, etc...Van only shows up at the end to kill the dragon.