Robotech vs Macross Soundtrack/Score

ircnutsy

Not a Macross guru at all... but after seeing the first 3 eps of Macross Zero as well as Macross DYRL... I have to say that the Robotech score/soundtrack, particularly the situational music(not referring to the full vocal songs, which can be corny sometimes for both) are simply amazing and more stirring and adds a LOT to Robotech's appeal... the Macross situational music I found very lacking and subdued... particularly in Macross Zero.

Any comments?

Edited by ircnutsy

The music of RT is stuck into my head. I have never heard the Macross tv soundtrack. Don't want to. RT is just perfect.

I agree to an extent, Ulpio Manuchi (SP?) did an excelent job composing the RT Soundtrack. But as for not listening to the Macross OVA music? I believe that music is what helped to make all these stories what they are... I personally want MORE!

I'd go only half-half for Robotech. I only like two or three of the background music of it. The rest was absolute and utter crap, like Reba West's singing. That's why I don't own the soundtrack.

I'll agree that a few of the proper songs are down-right corny... but the music during the battle sequences or music during tense/dramatic moments... or the music describing the build-up to a battle(the formation of a fleet for example) is just brilliant... a great production effort!

I agree with most of the posters already, the Robotech BGMs are some of the best ever in anime, especially given when they were composed in the early 80s. Especially the starting theme for Robotech, which blows most other themes out of the water.

I also agree that the Reba West songs are horrid, horrid things that should never have been made in the first place, but the BGMs more than make up for those.

Whenever I watch Macross, Southern Cross, or Mospeada, I can't help but wish I were listening to the Robotech music in them.

"Stage-fright (something) the feeling's smashing! This is your time to be a staaaaaaar!"

Yeah, I recorded episodes of robotech on audio cassette when I was a kid holding a tape recorder up to the TV speaker and I could listen to the opening theme and the episodes over and over again, and to this day I still love to hear the music of Robotech, except for those damnable Minmay songs a few of them still make me cringe.

Macross has a very different feel to it. I do enjoy the music of Macross but it took a little getting used to, and I still hear Ulpio Miunichi's compositions in my head when action is about to commence in the Macross series.

Purists, and people who grew up with the original Macross series probably have a little stronger bond to the original soundtrack, but being that I grew up with the bastardized version known as Robotech that music still jumps out and grabs me.

I'd go only half-half for Robotech. I only like two or three of the background music of it. The rest was absolute and utter crap, like Reba West's singing. That's why I don't own the soundtrack.

I pretty much agree with you about the Reba West songs... but Reba West sings in only about 10 songs (out of over 60 songs) on the soundtrack (remember its 2 disks).

IMO The person who made the Robotech soundtrack what it is, was Ulpio Minucci, the composer of the background music. He composed 41 pieces/scores of music for the series (Disk 1). Looking at my playlists, 10 might be an exageration, The Vocal songs (Disk 2) has a bunch of other singers found in the other three parts to the series (Southern Cross, Mospeada, and the ill fated Sentinels).

Even though the songs are really corny and 80's reminisc, "Lonely Soldier Boy" and "Saved by Science", IMHO are a damn good songs.

Reba West songs, if you hear them more than once, can drive a man to kill... I love the Robotech series, but every time Minmei broke into song I had visions of commiting arson and murder. :wacko:

EDIT---

Corrected the spelling of the composer

Edited by Southcross

I pretty much agree with you about the Reba West songs... but Reba West sings in only about 10 songs (out of over 60 songs) on the soundtrack (remember its 2 disks).

IMO The person who made the Robotech soundtrack what it is, was Ulpio Manuchi (sp?), the composer of the background music. He composed 41 pieces/scores of music for the series (Disk 1). Looking at my playlists, 10 might be an exageration, The Vocal songs (Disk 2) has a bunch of other singers found in the other three parts to the series (Southern Cross, Mospeada, and the ill fated Sentinels).

Even though the songs are really corny and 80's reminisc, "Lonely Soldier Boy" and "Saved by Science", IMHO are a damn good songs.

Reba West songs, if you hear them more than once, can drive a man to kill... I love the Robotech series, but every time Minmei broke into song I had visions of commiting arson and murder. :wacko:

There are times I must admit when I could insert some of the BGMs into Macross. Storywise for me, Macross all the way, but with the music I'm on the fence for the original TV series only. Later version of Macross were vastly improved.

The BGM for the Sentinels was absolute rubbish. I couldn't believe they actually changed the ________(insert word here fellas, my vocabulary ain't that great after five Midori Illusions) of the music, but it made the opening theme terrible. It's like HG didn't give a stuff, or, did they actually like it and thought that it was better? If so, they deserve a kickbox to the head. Probably will make them think right again.

As for the original Japanese Macross TV BGMs they were okay, and most weren't that terrible. Gotta remember that the series was done in the 80's though. But I admit, the composer for RT did quite a good job. Hope he didn't write the lyrics for Minmei's songs though. <_< Or did Reba do them herself? :rolleyes:

BTW, I reckon the Macross Zero BGMs were good. :) The best I've heard from Macross already. I wish I could say the same about the songs though. To tell the truth, I have no idea if the songs are good or not, because I can't understand them and doubt that the subs out there are 100% or even >80% accurate. I just can't bring myself to like it. :mellow: *shrugs*

(not referring to the full vocal songs, which can be corny sometimes for both)

Hope I'm not offending anymone, but on a personal opinion the vocal music in Macross was fun if still a little corny, but the songs by Reba seemed like they were written by a grade school kid, and sounded just awful.

EDIT: second last paragraph didn't make sense, I should cut down on the drinking

Edited by kensei

I think Robotech has a slight edge with their opening theme. I don't think it's anything to write home about, but the SDF Macross one is really corny.

On the other hand, as much as I didn't like Minmay's songs in the series and DYRL at first, they really grow on you after a while. I find myself humming the tunes every once in a while now, and have really found the series even more enjoyable now that I like the songs.

I've never like Minmei's song's in Robotech, never have, never will. They just suck.

Macross Zero has the weakest music of just about all the Macross releases. It's really not a good point of comparison for the Macross franchise as a whole, although I think it's better than Robotech.

Robotech music has the nostalgia factor going for it but little else. Much like most of the popular music in the 1980's, it's overplayed, too melodramatic (though the same goes for the music from Do You Remember Love?), and I'm glad it's gone from the mainstream.

As for Macross music, Macross Plus is definitely the best music for Macross. When I first saw Mac+ I was blown away by the soundtrack. It was nothing like Robotech, it was far superior. After I learned the history of Macross/Robotech, I understood why the sounds of Mac+ were so much better.

Compared to Robotech, Macross' BGM tend to be much more atmospheric. Western scores most often try to beat the mood into the audience, hence the HEROIC Robotech music versus the much more subdued Macross score. Case in point the "Reconstruction Blues" ep. Either the opening or closing (can't remember which) has a pan showing the aftermath of the war (the skull in the helmet, wrecked ships, ect) Macross just has ambient environmental sounds while Robotech has the announcer going on and on about what we're looking at, whilst sad strings play. Both are equally effective, but Macross is much more subtle about it. Saying thus, I prefer the Macross osts becuase of the wider range of moods, rather than Robotech's seemingly endless supply of HERO or DANGER cues.

As for Macross music, Macross Plus is definitely the best music for Macross.  When I first saw Mac+ I was blown away by the soundtrack.  It was nothing like Robotech, it was far superior.  After I learned the history of Macross/Robotech, I understood why the sounds of Mac+ were so much better.

Damn right. There isn't a track in all of Macross that I like more than Information High. In terms of music Macross Plus just burys all the others, save for DYRL.

Edited by Druna Skass

Like this topic hasn't come up before.....

in a nut shell: Both soundtracks have some good and bad BGM. The RT Minmei songs suck but the Macross Minmei songs aren't much better(mostly awful).

The Macross opening is rather cheezey but I'll take that over the lame RT opening anyday.

Just to add. Macross Zero's music is really boring and uninteresting. It doesn't add anything to the scene. I don't think anyone would miss it if it wasn't there.

Macross Plus has the best soundtrack.

Edited by dejr8bud

I thought I'd gotten over the Robotech BGM affinity after finishing my Animeigo DVDs of SDF Macross. . .

Now, I picture the show with the original Japanese songs and BGM.

But then. . . darn it, I went to SDFMacross.net and he uses that very haunting Robotech theme as the music for his intro page.

Now I actually miss the Robotech music again.

I was free! Free! :)

H

reba west may have only done a few songs, but they were beaten to death all over robotech so it seemed like 80 percent of the music in the series lol.

i agree, i like the BGM of robotech - but they could have mixed it up a bit more - those themes started sounding REAL familiar after the 18th skirmish...

as for Macross, Minmay rules. the BGM and opening and ending theme songs are ok, better when Ijima sings the end credits solo, much worse when they do a duet - those voices just don't blend!

I think Robotech has a slight edge with their opening theme. I don't think it's anything to write home about, but the SDF Macross one is really corny.

But that's part of the charm.

Macross has a vaguely spoofish air about it, and it really shows in some parts. I LOVE the over-dramatic tone they put on the next episode previews. "Next time On Super Dimensional Fortress Macross... <really cool reverb effect> A DREAM SEQUENCE!!!!!!</really cool reverb effect>

I was free! Free! :)

Not anymore :p

After watching Robotech and loving that opening theme, I turned on the original Macross and was expecting something similar, if not better... and instead get some guy singing as poorly as Reba West, sounding like he was hurting parts of his anatomy when he hit a few notes.

Information High in Macross +, though, is one of the best BGMs/in-show songs ever.

As for Macross music, Macross Plus is definitely the best music for Macross.  When I first saw Mac+ I was blown away by the soundtrack.  It was nothing like Robotech, it was far superior.  After I learned the history of Macross/Robotech, I understood why the sounds of Mac+ were so much better.

Damn right. There isn't a track in all of Macross that I like more than Information High. In terms of music Macross Plus just burys all the others, save for DYRL.

Oh yeah! Information High is an incredible song. I never get tired of listening to that tune.

I think Robotech has a slight edge with their opening theme.  I don't think it's anything to write home about, but the SDF Macross one is really corny.

Macross has a vaguely spoofish air about it, and it really shows in some parts. I LOVE the over-dramatic tone they put on the next episode previews. "Next time On Super Dimensional Fortress Macross... <really cool reverb effect> A DREAM SEQUENCE!!!!!!</really cool reverb effect>

I can't stand the narrator's voice in SDF. I love the cheesy Maaaa-cuuu-rossss though. :p

I think Robotech has a slight edge with their opening theme.  I don't think it's anything to write home about, but the SDF Macross one is really corny.

I can't stand the narrator's voice in SDF.

I tolerate the narrator, largely because the next episode previews make me laugh.

I love the cheesy Maaaa-cuuu-rossss though. :p

ME TOO!

The robotech soundtrack was crap, pure & simple. Way over rehashed synth quality un-original crap.

The Macross soundtrack on the other hand had a great classical & jazz thing going on. As for the opening theme, all anime intro's were male ballad's back then, it's just what was popular. I'd take the Macross theme any day over the superman movie rehash robotech theme.

The RT soundtrack was more heroic, perfect for stupid people who have trouble understanding the fine nature of animated presentation and character development throuch gesture and scielence. :rolleyes:

The main theme song is cool though. <_<

i have to say i like macross's music much much better than pretty much all of robotechs music. the only robotech song i found memorable was the opening. But i like the macross op better, cause it just eludes cheezy early 80's anime goodness.nuff said

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUROOOOSSSSSUUUU!.

I like the Macross music better, but there is very little of the Robotech BGM that I actively hate. And some of the battle music is actually pretty good. Keith is right, though, the opening music sounds derivative of the Superman movie. And I dislike most of the RT songs, though some of them might be good with better singers.

I like all of Minmay's songs in SDF Macross. I even like the male vocal in the opening song and in "Runner", the song that plays in the closing credits. (Best is the duet with both the guy and Mari Iijima.)

I also like all the music for M+ and M0. The bits of M7 stuff I've heard I'm not so crazy about.

Me, personally? I think SDF Macross' music is far and away better than Robotech's.

Quality-wise, and appeal-wise, it's like Comparing DaVinci to Matt Groening. That's my take on things. Lots of people prefere Matt Groening's artwork to DaVinci's. It has a cartoony appeal, and caters to the masses. It's simple and easy to understand. Catchy, even. But could you honestly say that Matt Groening is a better artist than Davinci was? Can you say any of Groening's doodles of the Simpson's or his other works are better than Davinci's famous works?

Then as to what is preferred goes to personal preference, and a lot of that is under the cozy warm light of nostalgia to make it look all the better in comparison.

I'm not such a nostalgic person, though, and I like all sorts of music, including the classical variety. I think real instruments do better at orchestral works than synthesizers, and I can appreciate the much more complex and meaningful orchestrations presented in SDF Macross

And this is only the BGM. As for the vocal music, Macross wins my favour hands down. Reba West's warbling doesn't even compare. I hated it when I was a small child, I hate it all the more now that I'm older.

I've only compared the original SDF Macross to Robotech's Macross Saga, as that's all you can fairly compare, but as for other Macross soundtracks, I've always loved them. I'd say Macross Zero has the weakest OST so far, but even that one has a couple tracks I enjoy (such as The Life Song). Macross II's vocal music was pure J-Pop cheese, but it was catchy. The BGM was incredible, though. From the BGM orchestrator of the Tenchi series, whose bGM I've always admired. Macross Plus had an all around excellent score, though I prefer both Mari Ijima and Humming Bird to Yokko Kano's music. Don't take that the wrong way, though, as it amounts to saying I prefere a wonderful steak dinner to a meal of fine lasagna.

Back to SDF and Robotech, though, I find I simply cannot listen to Robotech's music anymore, as I'm constantly comparing it to the SDF Macross music, and it just doesn't hold a candle. If it was from a different show, not at all related to SDF Macross, I'd probably be able to enjoy it for the simple, 80's synth-cheese that it is, much like how I enjoy Vince DiCola's Transformers arrangements (though even those feature slightly more complex arrangements), but since the Robotech OST is essentially a replacement for the original SDF Macross music, I find myself thinking of the same scenes, and longing for the superior music.

However, since many people can appreciate such things, and let such nostalgia colour their view (I'm guilty of it at times, myself) I can hardly begrudge anyone who preferes the Robotech OST. Still, I can't quite wrap my mind around it when someone claims that the Robotech OST is superior, stating this as fact.