VF11B

Myersjessee

This may be a dumb question, but what do you use to scratch build parts?

bunch of things...some of the pieces are kitbashed (landing gear) but most everything else (gear bay, gear doors, ) are stock styrene...I also used some sculpu...and a lot of putty the rest is just time, a mitre box, and patience. (and no, not a dumb question...one I asked a couple years ago! ) :)

Excellent work jesse!!! So the new tailfin will stay as it is and won't be able to slide back inside the leg unlike the original?

The new tailfin attaches with pegs. I tried to make it collapsable, but there isn't space inside the leg (thus Yamatos problem with the tiny tailfins) I thought about trying to make it telescoping..but honestly that seemed outside the realm of my talents...so I sealed the hole, re-etched the panel lines, and made two small peg holes to attach it...this way I can remove them to transform it.

Excellent work jesse!!! So the new tailfin will stay as it is and won't be able to slide back inside the leg unlike the original?

The new tailfin attaches with pegs. I tried to make it collapsable, but there isn't space inside the leg (thus Yamatos problem with the tiny tailfins) I thought about trying to make it telescoping..but honestly that seemed outside the realm of my talents...so I sealed the hole, re-etched the panel lines, and made two small peg holes to attach it...this way I can remove them to transform it.

That's good! I bet ya you'll also fix the front landing gear too?

While I disklike swapping parts, I wish Yamato did that. Nice work. I can't wait to see more.

Thanks everyone!

Angel Fury...yes..I plan on making the front landing gear door and gear (and bay) more detailed, redoing the cockpit, adding a pilot, making the canards poseable, and Im building solid fuel boosters for it.......its all a bit ambitious, but thats the plan.

(Im having to totally customize the boosters...the Club M ones are too small...so I blew up scans of them, and pictures from the design works and I have been testing out my dremel and router attachment! WISH ME LUCK! :) )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Whoa, just recognized this thread, cool stuff.  Have you considered trying to get rid of those sholder bar things, and replacing them with a less conspicuous hinge?  I'd love to see one w/out it.

Yes...but Im not sure how....thats one I have been puzzling.

The landing gear are a combination of parts from an F-14, Sr71, and F18 kit...the bay and doors are scratch built.

Edited by Myersjessee

sorry...been wrapped up in other projects..I dont multi-task very well...but the poor beasts dread eyes to stare at me even now as I type!  :)  (maybe a couple weeks...I have to finish up some casting work, and my Glaug Pod model.... Then it's onto the nose of the VF11.

Dude, AWESOME work so far.

Langing gear is top notch, and the bigger rear tailfin gives the 11b the glory it should have had. Cant wait to see the completed version.

Don't worry about the time man, you're moving faster than yamato usually does so you're in good shape considering it's a one man job. :lol:

edit: typo

Edited by Nani?!

I thought about that..and the telescoping is easy...its just a scale problem....proper thickness works out to be a little thicker then 40 lb fishing test...so, even if I get the tiny tubes I have to find some way to make them functional..I cant make a real damper at that size....(it may be possible...but what a pain) ..and considering the size, it would need to collapse down and back....seems I think may try to make something that tlescopes, but instead of building in the mechanisim to have it move in the track as well, just put two stops in...one for open, one for closed.

Also..think I solved the main gear door problem! WOOWHOO! Details to come.

I had a thought about what you could use for a scale damper. The little telescopic pins used on wristwatch bands.

I thought about that..and the telescoping is easy...its just a scale problem....proper thickness works out to be a little thicker then 40 lb fishing test...so, even if I get the tiny tubes  I have to find some way to make them functional..I cant make a real damper at that size....(it may be possible...but what a pain) ..and considering the size, it would need to collapse down and back....seems I think may try to make something that tlescopes, but instead of building in the mechanisim to have it move in the track as well, just put two stops in...one for open, one for closed.

Also..think I solved the main gear door problem!  WOOWHOO!  Details to come.

I had a thought about what you could use for a scale damper. The little telescopic pins used on wristwatch bands.

Thats an awesome idea....okay...Im on it. THANKS!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm apparently the last person to realize this thread was here. Had fun picking out what landing gear parts came from what. (F-14 main strut and drag link, F-18 side strut, SR-71 wheel) :)

Very nicely done! I bow to your wisdom!

(The SR71 wheel is suprisingly similar to the line art...but I couldnt find struts from a single plane that matched...thus the hodge-podge. )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Any news on this project? It had a very good beginning, now let\'s see the ending.

387612[/snapback]

Wow, yeah i remember reading about this way back when, waiting for the final result. It's been a long time.

• 6 months later...