New Macross Animation Announced, to be animated by Sunrise

seti88

10 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Cant imagine how the valks will continue to evolve further....does kawamori-san still have any ideas, or will he even be involved in designing...he isnt getting younger...

As long as he has inspiration, he'll be able to come up with something.

As for what that inspiration is, up until now he has been basing his designs (wholly or in part) on aircraft.  So, whatever aircraft has been in the news recently is most likely going to inform the next design, and/or how Valkyries are "used" in the next series (Ie: "dancing" Valkyries at the beginning of Delta to justify the use of manned aircraft in a world where unmanned aircraft are replacing the manned ones).

Cautiously optimistic. Since it is Sunrise, hopefully there will be a refocus back to the Mecha. Mecha has played a distant 3rd fiddle to the idols and love triangles long enough.

Shoji Kawamori for the VFs and Kazutaka Miyatake for non VFs. Yoko Kanno for music. Kawamori should take a break from directing. 

Main concern is the possible “Gundamification” of the VFs though.

The impression I get from Kawamori's interviews over the years, is that there will always be a new focus between the mecha, idols & love triangles for every new Macross series, independent of the animation studio. Since Delta was heavy on idols, will it be on love triangles this time?

The most I'll expect on the change from Satelight to Sunrise is the change of animation style.  

1 hour ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Something more adult oriented this time please? For once?

🤔..

macross is now more for the next gen..that’s the circle of life...am ok with it ..

maybe we shall get back the old nostalgic storyline feelings again come 50th anniversary..

Edited by seti88

as someone commented in reddit, Macross seems to produce a major story/animation every decade which adopts whatever is prevalent or popular with the music/entertainment industry. The original Macross, we have a Showa era idol, in the 90s, we have a rock band with Firebomber, 2000s Frontier has the diva and solo idols prevalent during that period, and 2010s, we have Walkure, an idol group. So for this decade, wondering what would it be...

1 hour ago, Actar said:

OMG. Will we get gorgeous 2D Valks on screen again?

majority of the time for sunrise shows, the mechs are split between low detail and barely shaded 3D with stiff animation, or malformed 2D napkin doodles. fight scenes often have no coherent sense of direction, motion, positioning, or much of an logic either. they certainly can animate detailed physics like gundam unicorn, but they won't do it... even the current gundam witch from mercury opens with some garishly CG shots with no antialiasing and strange lighting, despite it overall looking already much higher effort than usual. imo they generally are no better than satellite at best, but is worse on average. i would look at kyoukai senki as the baseline of modern quality they find acceptable to produce 🤢, even if that wasn't theot the main studio proper

the hope is that im dead wrong, but gotta be cautiously cautious on this one, rather than optimistic in any way.

59 minutes ago, pafy6285 said:

as someone commented in reddit, Macross seems to produce a major story/animation every decade which adopts whatever is prevalent or popular with the music/entertainment industry. The original Macross, we have a Showa era idol, in the 90s, we have a rock band with Firebomber, 2000s Frontier has the diva and solo idols prevalent during that period, and 2010s, we have Walkure, an idol group. So for this decade, wondering what would it be...

if that is the iron rule, the next logical progression would probably be a vtuber/vsinger. expect lots of minecraft 🤪 episodes i guess...

More Deculture coming.? Sounds great. Excited to see what's next. Now we have about 3 years to speculate :lol:

9 hours ago, sketchley said:

As for what that inspiration is, up until now he has been basing his designs (wholly or in part) on aircraft.  So, whatever aircraft has been in the news recently is most likely going to inform the next design, and/or how Valkyries are "used" in the next series (Ie: "dancing" Valkyries at the beginning of Delta to justify the use of manned aircraft in a world where unmanned aircraft are replacing the manned ones).

Ah yes, so something SR-72 Darkstar-ish.? Maybe that's what the Sv-303 was modeled after.

20 minutes ago, Bolt said:

More Deculture coming.? Sounds great. Excited to see what's next. Now we have about 3 years to speculate :lol:

Not sure we have that long to speculate...

The last two times (Frontier and Delta) they announced the existence of a new Macross series project in Spring/Summer, revealed the title in Autumn, and then rolled out the Episode 0.XX version of the first episode in December.  

20 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Ah yes, so something SR-72 Darkstar-ish.? Maybe that's what the Sv-303 was modeled after.

I'd assume the Sv-303 was probably modeled on the McDonnel Douglas X-36 and Northrop Grumman X-47B based on structural commonality and the like.

1 hour ago, PointBlankSniper said:

if that is the iron rule, the next logical progression would probably be a vtuber/vsinger.

So... Sharon Apple?

We're in an odd place where life is imitating art and Macross has become prophetic. Plus gave us a sci-fi futuristic virtual idol, and now VTuber is a recognized profession. Frontier showed AI drones flying with a human commander as a "force multiplier", and the Air Force has stated they're currently developing exactly that. 

5 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

V-tubers and TikTok influencers?

God, I really hope not.

6 hours ago, Old_Nash_II said:

Macross in the Gundam house????

89c.gif.103c2df1c16e1918bb81758ed33da67d.gif

NO MORE SCISSORING!!

more purposeful and thought out action scenes please!! else just sub out the gundams and put in the valks and re-use 😄 which maybe they might?🤪...macross an imitation gundam show...😆

The other thing..i hope macross gets upgraded sound effects too! 

Edited by seti88

8 hours ago, JB0 said:

So... Sharon Apple?

We're in an odd place where life is imitating art and Macross has become prophetic. Plus gave us a sci-fi futuristic virtual idol, and now VTuber is a recognized profession. Frontier showed AI drones flying with a human commander as a "force multiplier", and the Air Force has stated they're currently developing exactly that. 

admittedly, i havent watched plus outside of tons of clips and digests, so she wasn't on my mind, nor do i have a grasp of how alike the modern profession she was depicted to be. but from the look of things, i guess that the gimmick has already been done.

ngl, zettai live also gave a pretty accurate analogy of how AI neural networks/machine learning and prompt engineering worked and behaved, before stable diffusion and the like was let loose on the public to blow all our minds.

2 hours ago, seti88 said:

NO MORE SCISSORING!!

more purposeful and thought out action scenes please!! else just sub out the gundams and put in the valks and re-use

i'm fairly certain sunrise is actually more guilty of scissoring and the like than satellite...

purposefully thought out action scenes are also not the norm as i've pointed towards kyoukai senki just above. while that may be the rock bottom of recent years, the progression in that direction was there since after the original build fighters. from the subsequent build fighter season, the rest of the build series, and even IBO, all the fights, as well as the story, were unimpactful or made of absolutely incoherent nonsense. aside from the random flagship OVAs, they didn't seem to put effort in anything, it's only the current WfM that has gone back to putting some effort in animation. and even that was marred by opening the first ep of both seasons with heinous CG as i've pointed out

as for subbing in mechs to reuse scenes, that was like the entirety of gundam seed destiny. anyone that remembers it probably has ptsd

my point is, this isn't at all better than asking for these improvements from sattelite instead lol

until there is visual confirmation that they are burning trainloads of budget on this project like it's jet fuel, we should probably keep our expectations in check lol

I hope the show cuts down on the number of idols to 1-2 and introduces a new style of Valkyrie that isn't based off the yf-24 or yf-30 styles.

Gib valkyries that don't have tons of back-kibble, much like teh old-school valkyries :p

I'll mostly just be happy to have new Macross in whatever form.  it might not be what I personally want, but a lving franchise is better than nostalgia for a dead one.

If I'm wishing for stuff, though, I'd like a series with lower stakes this time around.  Something like Macross the Ride or Macross Plus where it's more of a perssonal story than a galaxy ending threat.  Looking forward to it either way, though.

Ditch the singing teenage girl teams and give me something more like Macross Plus with some new-old school design valks from the Advanced Valkyrie project...like the freaking vf-3000 already. Its only been since 1985 since it debuted. 

The valks in the new series are so far divorced from the original designs, they don't seem like valkyries to me-or at least the original intention of what a valkyrie was...to fight giants one on one if necessary.
I'd like a return to a simpler series, but I'm old and well outside the new target audiences. I only have my wallet to vote with, and I spend it on the old design stuff (DX VF-1/Hasegawa)

Maybe throw old farts like me an OVA 4 part special or something to keep me interested in the new stuff, or this new Macross series turns into another 'not for me' set, and I cling to my original VF-1s and sit in the corner complaining.   😛

image.jpeg.addfb3d7064a7870202a3a9a57f632d8.jpeg

Even better than a -3000, a -3000B.

Let's see an old relic still in use.  If the USAF is going to use B-52's through 2040+ (When M+ happens!) then there should be at least a few big old bomber valks still around in the Frontier/Delta era.  

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

The valks in the new series are so far divorced from the original designs, they don't seem like valkyries to me-or at least the original intention of what a valkyrie was...to fight giants one on one if necessary.

Times change. People change. The valks of old reflect their function, but that's no longer the case so things change. While I would love to see the old valks in use, I'm not going to take offense to new stuff.

I'd like a return to a simpler series, but I'm old and well outside the new target audiences. I only have my wallet to vote with, and I spend it on the old design stuff (DX VF-1/Hasegawa)
Maybe throw old farts like me an OVA 4 part special or something to keep me interested in the new stuff, or this new Macross series turns into another 'not for me' set, and I cling to my original VF-1s and sit in the corner complaining.   😛

I have long since given up that "modern" Macross shows are for me or most anime is for my viewing audience range. If it was, I'd probably be b*tching about it incessantly like some people do. Even stuff for "older" audiences is likely out of my target audience group now. I want to see Macross grow and not be held back by nostalgia like that Americanized related-franchise. Gundam has moved that way; focusing on what is relevant to audiences today and it has worked. Macross, to stay relevant, has to do the same. Yes, it may mean I won't be watching, but it should be for and reflect the tastes of modern audiences, not for grumpy old people like me us. Yes, even if it means we may get vtubers.

15 hours ago, seti88 said:

NO MORE SCISSORING!!

The yuri doujinshi fandom will be terribly disappointed?

I'd joke about Sunrise taking that as a challenge and arm a mecha in the new series with actual scissors... but I remembered they did that quite literally in Iron-Blooded Orphans with the Gusion Rebake Fullcity.

Joking aside, I'm down for whatever.  All I want is a compelling story with interesting characters.  Macross Delta's main weakness was that so much of its cast was underdeveloped and underutilized.  If they can avoid that pitfall, they should do a fine job.

I'm taking it as read that we'll get a soundtrack with some certified bangers and some gorgeous Valkyrie designs.  Those go without saying.

now that i've done my pooping on the sunrise parade, i'd like to get in on the wishful posting too

with the show seemingly coming rather soon, I hope bandai does not forget the ongoing unfinished DX lineup in favor of the next shiny new collection that they would also eventually not complete... hopefully there aren't so many color variants of the same valk for unimportant team members to drag out release schedules into overlapping with the next new thing... like fate of the vivasat. kind of hoping they will bring it back for this series, to make sense of it not being merchandized yet. also, more nightmares would be nice, so maybe i could finally get one. admittedly though, nightmares as main grunts again is kind of boring

as for plot, hopefully they follow up with all the lady M, epsilon, heimdall and even Alto teasing. all this open endedness about entities kind of cheapens the investment in the franchise continuity. some eerie deep space first encounter vibes and space monsters like 7 and frontier would be nice too. the recton movies needs to be dropped too. if there's any, they should be sequels

i don't care much for the idol schtick, but presumbly music will come of it. vtuber themed or not, if they play this aspect right, i forsee that it will ironically be vtubers that blow the series up in the mainstream. karaoke streams are the bread and butter a lot of them. the show having a whole setlist of its own will be like weaponizing music to endlessly brainwash the masses with free marketing while the show is still airing and relevant, just like in the show lmao

I am very excited about the prospect of New Macross Animation!  It has been 7 years since the last series and 2 years since the last movie release from that series.  The thing that I would like is for there to be more mecha! Of Course!, but give information about those mecha.  I don't know if I am in the minority, but I would like full mechanical briefs on the mecha!  I am still waiting for a conclusive breakdown of the mecha from the last movie, the VF-31AX Kairos Plus, SV-303, Super Ghost Boosters/drones.  Also, I know this was a part of Variable Fighter Master File, but if it is cannon, give information on what the plans were for the VF-31X!  What sort of performance and stats would we see by adding 2 more thermonuclear reaction engines to the VF-31!

Also, since it is going to be tied to Bandai, Dont be stingy on the releases of the DX Chogokin/Hi-Metal R releases for the series!  I like the physical representations of the valks!

Twich

5 hours ago, Duymon said:

introducing Macross Builders! Brave middle school kids customize their own valkyries and fight virtual battles... 

*cringe*

Man, don't make me remember about that