Yamato VF-1 Virgin Road... Did it ever come with a gunpod strap

Jasonc

I recently sold someone one of the Yamato Virgin Road VF-1 toys, and the buyer is saying that another one he owned came with a strap.  I don't ever recall these, or for the most part, any standard Yamato release coming with a gunpod strap. Am I missing anything? Also, did the Virgin Road just come out once, or was there a reissue that was different?

I don't believe any of the V.2 1/60 line came with a strap, I remember someone came out with custom-made ones later to add on.  The 1/48 ones did however, both the Yamato and new Bandai DXs, so maybe he's thinking of one of them?

I can't say for sure about the VR getting a reissue though.  It's a niche enough design that I'm doubting it, I remember prices getting fairly high for it even before Yamato folded.

1 minute ago, nightmareB4macross said:

The V2 did not come with gun straps. Those were custom pieces made and sold here.

I did bring that up to him, but he claims it came with that in a sealed package. However, when I look at his image, it is the same construction, at least the same color as the ones that were sold here. I think it was DarrinG that sold them, and they look extremely similar to them.

This is the picture he sent me...

346113140_3628104037421062_4588456081934960541_n.jpg.8a646f23e727416d67afbf9c037db999.jpg

Obviously he's opened it since, as the pilot is now in the cockpit, so I just wanted to see if I was somehow missing something.

1 hour ago, Jasonc said:

I recently sold someone one of the Yamato Virgin Road VF-1 toys, and the buyer is saying that another one he owned came with a strap.  I don't ever recall these, or for the most part, any standard Yamato release coming with a gunpod strap. Am I missing anything? Also, did the Virgin Road just come out once, or was there a reissue that was different?

Having owned multiples, sealed and open box virgin road valks, I can confirm none of the 1/60’s came with a strap. The buyer is incorrect. 

7 hours ago, Jasonc said:

I just looked at mine and in my box and zero straps. The buyer is incorrect that they came with it- definitely DarrinG's.

I bought a Max VF-1A from eBay a couple of years ago and the guy I bought it from told me that some 1/60 V2s came with a strap. It was included in the box when I got it. Out of 15 Valks it's the only one with the strap.

strap.jpg

2 minutes ago, jenius said:

Also a DarrinG strap. Seems like lots of people stored them with their toys and then told people the toys were new.

Yeah... it was listed as new on eBay. I had some suspicions when the box came and looked like it had been soaked in moisture at some point.

The straps are a very cool add-on but it definitely looks like out in the wild new sellers and buyers have lost track of this add-on’s origin story. That is unfortunate.

56 minutes ago, scand said:

Yeah... it was listed as new on eBay. I had some suspicions when the box came and looked like it had been soaked in moisture at some point.

Man, that stinks I would have had my doubts too. Still, Max’s 1A looks nice in your pic, scand.

At some point Yamato stopped using tape...so it's possible to open the box, leave the VF-1 untouched and toss in a strap as a bonus...or just to store it with the valk...only way to really know if these "untaped box" Yamatos are brand new untouched samples is to open the box and inspect them...of course, that act in itself is enough to consider the VF-1 no longer "new"....can't win...lol

Edited by jvmacross

the  boxes that were taped from the vf-1 1/60 line were starting with small box and then large combo boxes:

• VF-1D virgin road
  • VF-1S low visibility
  • VF-1S No Painting Ver.  
  • VE-1 Elint Seeker
  • VF-1A Max DYRL super combo
  • VF-1A Kaki DYRL super combo
  • GBP armor set
  • GBP armor + grey goggle VF-1J Hikaru
  • GBP armor + smoke effects   
  • VF-1J super Max
  • VF-1J super Miria
  • VF-1S TV Roy with TV super parts w Hikaru pilot
  • VF-1S DYRL super and strike Flash light Roy 
  • VF-1S DYRL super and strike flash light Hikaru

these boxes had no clamshell windows, no tab flaps to close the box, only scotch tape on both top and bottom ends.