Bandai HG 1/100 YF-21

Convectuoso

4 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

IMG-20230509-WA0029.jpg.7a783b169f35969ece4bfcd216156c9a.jpg

I'll be getting at least two, to customize Max and Miria's VF-22s

I have a weird feeling that they will do their best to milk the mold. Although those will probably just be p Bandai releases

Ooh, this is unexpected but definitely appreciated. I hope it benefits a bit more from this parts-forming design than the YF-19 did, proportionally. With the sudden swerve into modern designs, I was sure they would abandon any more "analog" designs in favor of the 3D designs; I'm happy to be wrong.

20 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Ooh, this is unexpected but definitely appreciated. I hope it benefits a bit more from this parts-forming design than the YF-19 did, proportionally. With the sudden swerve into modern designs, I was sure they would abandon any more "analog" designs in favor of the 3D designs; I'm happy to be wrong.

I honestly think the old school as you say “Analog” designs benefit more from this quick change approach. The 3D one’s already were designed for full transformation. I’m just glad the line is growing and hope to see a lot of great Macross designs. Hope they do non Valkyries as well eventually 

Hopefully the HG comes as close to that Battroid silhouette as possible. 

6 hours ago, Big s said:

I have a weird feeling that they will do their best to milk the mold. Although those will probably just be p Bandai releases

Agree. Although I could see Gamlin's 22S going retail to coincide with a Basara VF-19 Kai when they get around to it.

50 minutes ago, Big s said:

I honestly think the old school as you say “Analog” designs benefit more from this quick change approach. The 3D one’s already were designed for full transformation. I’m just glad the line is growing and hope to see a lot of great Macross designs. Hope they do non Valkyries as well eventually 

I do, too, just remarking that parts-forming still couldn't make the YF-19 look perfect in all three modes. It still had to prioritize one mode over the others just like the toys have to do - in this case, it emphasized battroid. It still remains the case that the only way to make an "accurate" YF-19 is to make three separate YF-19s, each in one of the three modes.

My hope is that since the YF-21 basically just covers up its limbs for fighter mode, it'll basically only swap the nose cone or so from mode to mode.

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Will happily buy a couple of these.  Maybe I'll have the YF-19 I ordered by the time it comes out. :p 

I’m surprised they still haven’t filled your order. The ones I ordered from Bbts are already on their way along with decal sheets to the house. I know hlj was having issues getting enough to fill the demand.

Hopefully it won’t be as difficult to get the 21, but then again the popularity might be what’s gonna get more products the green light 

It's interesting to see Bandai going all in on these, as opposed to doing these as HMR's. I'm glad the YF-21 is getting some love. They've had us strung out on Omega  1 so bad, these are probably gonna fly off the shelf. 

Frankly, if they're serious about down-scaling the Yamato and Arcadia designs to HMR, I would much rather have those than these parts-swappers.  They aren't bad little projects, but if Bandai is capable of shrinking the 1/60 Fire Valk to HMR scale, that makes the compromises in the YF-19 kit just that much more disappointing.

I'll still be curious how this turns out, and happily build a couple, but my expectations aren't too high.

• 3 weeks later...

oh my goodness, this just makes me want to rush out and buy all of these kits to satisfy my fixation on making Gundams and collecting Macross jets!  The best of both worlds!

Twich

• 1 month later...

I'm siked about the YF-21. And since it's a partsformer there's no reason for it to not look good in all 3 modes considering the legs and arms are covered up in fighter mode. You'd only need one set of legs and arms for Battroid and Gerwalk so they should be beefy like the line art. 

10 minutes ago, badboy00z said:

I'm siked about the YF-21. And since it's a partsformer there's no reason for it to not look good in all 3 modes considering the legs and arms are covered up in fighter mode. You'd only need one set of legs and arms for Battroid and Gerwalk so they should be beefy like the line art. 

I think the battroid will look great, and probably the gerwalk as well, but the fighter depends on how they do the parts for swapping. I’m definitely curious to see this one more than the rest. I really like the YF-19 model so far for the battroid, but the fighter could’ve used some work although I still like it

On 7/6/2023 at 1:56 AM, Big s said:

I think the battroid will look great, and probably the gerwalk as well, but the fighter depends on how they do the parts for swapping. I’m definitely curious to see this one more than the rest. I really like the YF-19 model so far for the battroid, but the fighter could’ve used some work although I still like it

In my opinion the legs doesn't have to be used in fighter mode since it's covered up by the belly plates. That frees up the space inside for some beefy arms. Transforming could be as easy as popping off the belly plates, swing the arms out, attach the legs and then swap the nose cone for a Battroid accurate one. Then attach the belly plates on the thighs. There should be 2 sets of belly plates since the Battroid ones are drawn to be more of a skewed parallelogram instead of a rectangle. 

As for the 19, I think the feet are too big. They should have gave us a set of smaller feet that is also more opened up for the jet exhaust.

10 hours ago, badboy00z said:

As for the 19, I think the feet are too big. They should have gave us a set of smaller feet that is also more opened up for the jet exhaust.

They're both too big, and the heels are entirely the wrong shape.  They molded them at some bizarre angle, and they don't close.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

They're both too big, and the heels are entirely the wrong shape.  They molded them at some bizarre angle, and they don't close.

Bandai tends to model their stuff perfectly from awkward screenshots. They don’t bug me much in battroid or gerwalk modes, but in fighter they’re too big for sure. They could’ve easily had two pats for smaller fighter feet and left out the closing gimmick on the regular ones and that probably would’ve made things less awkward 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Once again, it seems they've prioritized Battroid mode over the others. But dare I say that is a FINE-looking Battroid, and maybe it's just because I'm not as familiar with the design as with the YF-19, but the Fighter mode doesn't look half-bad either. Only Gerwalk looks somewhat odd, and YF-21's Gerwalk has always looked odd, so that's nothing new.

It's implemented almost exactly like I thought it'd be, too: instead of trying to force the arms and legs to conform to the Fighter mode, the partsforming just replaces the entire fuselage altogether, and it is infinitely better for it.

Hot damn, here we have a 5000 yen model kit that's about to put the 25,000 yen DX Chogokin to shame. I tell ya, this is honestly making me reconsider whether to buy the DX or not. Three of these - heck, FOUR of these for all four modes, and I'd still have 5000 yen left over for a nice stand to display them all.

...my only misgiving is how bad the limiter-release mode looks. Would it really have been so much to give us some mechanical detail-looking caps to plug up those garish joint sockets?

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Hot damn, here we have a 5000 yen model kit that's about to put the 25,000 yen DX Chogokin to shame. I tell ya, this is honestly making me reconsider whether to buy the DX or not. Three of these - heck, FOUR of these for all four modes, and I'd still have 5000 yen left over for a nice stand to display them all.

To be fair... is a proportionally accurate transforming YF-21 even physically possible? The model looks amazing, yes, but it's no perfect transformer.

6 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

I don't need another 1/100 YF-21 since I have the perfect variable Studio Half Eye one...

IMG_20230529_171625.jpg.a88402cdccae99ae347ae3660997fde6.jpgIMG_20230529_161326.jpg.ad07765ab96a5b812f268cd94c98ed62.jpg

However, I may still get this one to customize as a VF-22 or to have a more poseable YF-21

Wow, that's a blast from the far past. And highly collectable now.

I used to have the SHE YF-21 and YF-19 back in the day, no idea what happened to them.

They were great for their time (pre-Yamato), but to be honest look a bit dated now. 

8 hours ago, Actar said:

FB_IMG_1695690486356.jpg.f7a969d400340bb3af65f9d10b1dd801.jpg

I'm gonna be getting this even though I don't collect model kits, just becuse it's the YF-21. Release the DX Chogokin, you cowards!!! (^.^')

Whoa FUSELAGE TILT!

Now someone can make a stop motion animation to the tune of beyonce's irreplaceable ...to the left to the left...ahem.🤪

And on bandai being cowards....insert *bandai does things as its meant to be or something like that* pic here...

Edited by seti88