Why Macross merchandises (toys) are relatively expensive?

Vintage Fanboy

Hallo guys..

I am a new member and i have one particular questions regarding about Macross merchandises (toys): why they are d*mned expensives?!?

Is it because fans and collectors "cooked them up" to high prices or it has something to do with productions cost or IP royalties or know-how prices to make such high-end merchandises or??

I am not new to Macross,  and for long, i really wanted to collect / at least, own some of their models, but boy.. weewww.. the price is overkill..

Bandai knows you will all pay for any product they throw out there and then pay for it again with the Re issue or different color variant. They know their market quite well. Its the same in the Star Wars, Transformers and Gundam communites. 

The other thing is sometimes the initial pre order price will be low but after release the price will claim due to availability or lack there of.

just my 2 cents.

The 1/60 and 1/48 toys are pretty high end. The details and paint schemes are beautiful. They look good in all 3 modes , maybe with a few exceptions, depending on personal taste. There are some quality control issues with some, but not all. Yes you are paying a premium, and yes the market will bear it. My suggestion is to find the ones you really want and keep your eyes peeled for the deals that come up here and there. The model kits are obviously much cheaper. And they look awesome. But that's a commitment or sits around unbuilt. The good news is that now Macross toys are being offered in a variety of scales. Such as the HMR line. They're cheaper than the larger scales , but look nearly as good and still transform well, pose well, and take up less space. 

Another thing to consider is that the fan base for Macross is likely a lot smaller than for other franchises, like Gundam. Smaller fan base means smaller production runs, generally resulting in higher prices because the cost of design and manufacturing can't be spread out over the sale of a large number of units. I'm only guessing here, but Bandai probably makes at least an order of magnitude or two more Gundam units than Macross units every year. And Arcadia is a small operation that caters to fans, so higher prices come with the territory.

Yep, much as we love it, Macross (especially SDFM) is a niche interest. When the toys are focused, they are often focused on the newer Macross entries rather than what to us would be obvious choices (like doing the last two SDFM HMR destroids). If you have the option of dedicating production space and IP $ on something with more demand versus something with a smaller run, then you need extra $$ to justify swapping over.

It also justifies decisions that to me are odd (like the HMR VF-0S in noncanon Max Jenius livery instead of a different noncanon scheme like stealth or all black. I would expect them to milk the molds for more cash where they can, so noncanon schemes make sense, but I'd love the latter designs, but we're getting the Max instead, even though it makes almost zero sense. The reason? Because people will buy a hero mech, even if noncanon, over a nonstandard scheme,. So I understand the reasoning, even if I hate it. 

I'd love if they milked the VF-1D molds by making a HMR Virgin Road, though.

Edited by vladykins

Niche market + Inflation at every step of production + Lack of Economy of Scale (lower production runs) + Amortization + Desirability to consumers + It's a luxury mostly meant for collectors (nobody needs these things) + Knowing the buyers are willing to fork over the mullah + Retailer Profit Margins + additional factors others are more than welcome to contribute or elaborate = Exorbitant Prices (individual perspective/means dependent)

People have covered most of the reasons, but I'll also add that the hobby never really recovered from COVID, in terms of prices.  Manufacturing in China and international shipping went up quite a bit during and post-COVID, and those are both big cost contributors to this particular hobby.  The USD to JPY conversion is good if you're using USD, but it's still not enough to make up for the increased cost in production.

If you're just getting in, unfortunately you're jumping in at the most expensive time, possibly ever, even adjusted for inflation.  I know I've scaled back my Macross collecting for a variety of reasons, price being a big one.  It's hard to pay the new prices knowing what I used to pay.

5 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

People have covered most of the reasons, but I'll also add that the hobby never really recovered from COVID, in terms of prices.  Manufacturing in China and international shipping went up quite a bit during and post-COVID, and those are both big cost contributors to this particular hobby.  The USD to JPY conversion is good if you're using USD, but it's still not enough to make up for the increased cost in production.

If you're just getting in, unfortunately you're jumping in at the most expensive time, possibly ever, even adjusted for inflation.  I know I've scaled back my Macross collecting for a variety of reasons, price being a big one.  It's hard to pay the new prices knowing what I used to pay.

SO MUCH THIS! 

Yeah, the reasons are covered, but let me commiserate with the OP. I too am not new to Macross, and, stupidly, did not strike when the iron was hot (aka when there were clearances of Yammies and lower-priced DX and Arcadia POs). Now I long for lower-priced used sales of the same damned things from eBayers who don't know/care what they are selling or battered-box grab-it-fast-or-lose it Mandarake posts due to a budget that would have had nabbed me these things new just a few years ago.

No, I do not recommend collecting now. It is not enjoyable when one has missed so much. Still, I am already cursed with the bug.

As other people mentioned, economies of scale means Macross items are more expensive to begin with in order for the manufacturers to make desireable profit at relatively lower quantities. Lower quantities means items are more scarce so aftermarket prices also tend to go up and much higher than a lot of other products because there are only so many to go around for Macross collectors who can also me some of the most fanatic.  

Maybe the OP can narrow down what it is that he/she would be satisfied in collecting...for example, only "Main hero" valks...or only "DYRL", "M+" or "MF" valks...then it becomes easier to "complete" a collection and much less expensive...if it is all or nothing, then this is probably not the right hobby to be in...especially if you did not get started on some of the lines from the beginning...

Probably not popular to say this, but I like knowing that part of my collection, including the toys, have increased in value....at some point we will all need to either sell or plan on having it all tossed into our funeral pyre....

darth-vader-pyre.gif?w=500&h=200&crop=1&

I'd take them with me if I could. Heaven has to allow for Valkyries. I mean...c'mon, they take you to Valhalla after all... 😆

Other than that, you wouldn't pass them on to your kids? (If one has them)

As for me, with a few exceptions that appeal to me aesthetically, I'm not a completest. I skew to VF-1 era designs and STILL can't honestly afford the hobby.

It's far worse if you're not into VF-1's.

Your options are pretty limited when it comes to Plus, Zero, Seven, or Frontier valks.

Hell, the original mothership (TV SDF-1) doesn't have many large scale options available, even after all these years.

Add in the issues you may come across with these older releases, and it can get pretty dicey.  Even something as reliable as the Yamato 1/48's had issues where some releases had crooked skull-and-crossbones on the tailfins.

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Maybe the OP can narrow down what it is that he/she would be satisfied in collecting...for example, only "Main hero" valks...or only "DYRL", "M+" or "MF" valks...then it becomes easier to "complete" a collection and much less expensive...if it is all or nothing, then this is probably not the right hobby to be in...especially if you did not get started on some of the lines from the beginning...

This is a better way of saying what I suggest earlier.  From the perspective of someone who's been collecting Macross for years , and then slimming down that collection, the above statement also really comes into play. 

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Probably not popular to say this, but I like knowing that part of my collection, including the toys, have increased in value....at some point we will all need to either sell or plan on having it all tossed into our funeral pyre....

Yup. I know my son will love some of my collection, but not nearly all of it. Some will go into my funeral pyre. Hopefully the rest will go to an appreciative home before it all turns yellow (and even so!). 
Anyone that wants to continue or begin to collect Macross, and is on a budget, just has to be the patient hunter. I've scored many a good deal on this forum. And a few other places. 

I plan on having my body and my valkyrie collection shot out into the infinite void of space where, after eons in the vacuum of space (which should preserve my body and collection) it will eventually crash land on some backwater planet. The inhabitants of said planet will, hopefully, be inspired by this find to build real transforming valkyries and ships and spread out among the stars, eventually finding their way to the ruins of our world. 😁

Just now, Lolicon said:

I plan on having my body and my valkyrie collection shot out into the infinite void of space where, after eons in the vacuum of space (which should preserve my body and collection) it will eventually crash land on some backwater planet. The inhabitants of said planet will, hopefully, be inspired by this find to build real transforming valkyries and ships and spread out among the stars, eventually finding their way to the ruins of our world. 😁

:lol: Word ! :D

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

darth-vader-pyre.gif?w=500&h=200&crop=1&

My lust to collect valkyries merchandise emerged after i played SRWZ3 and watched Macross Frontier (recently).. And yeah, i had to damit, that i'm too late to begin, and especially, with DX and Arcadia, even for Deltas, they are overkilling already, weewww.. pre-owned items are still unbeliveably in hundreds! T__T .. btw, thank you guys for your inputs, i will try to go for Hi-Metal R, and while Zero is the franchise i love the most.. 🙏🏼

Although Macross toys seem relatively expensive, even more so in today's environment, there are couple of things going for them in long term.

Firstly, the number of valks aren't really that many compared to other IPs, for example the popular transforming mecha IP Transformers. So there's less hair pulling on what lines to collect, what scales with what, which manufacturer one has the best mode etc.

Secondly, the valks tend to have very strict interpretation look & transformation wise, so many of the toys that come out don't get obsolete so quickly. The Yamato v2 VF-1 is coming to 15 years old, but they are still so relevant today. But if you collect say, MP-level Optimus Prime, there will be a new one every couple of years with new engineering, updated interpretation, clever transformation and probably need to clear out 'old' toys more often for space, outdated & the like reasons. 

On both above factors alone, we can build the collection slowly, have fun with the joy of the hunt, and not stress out so often on the announcement of an updated version of an older valk we just spent some time to hunt down. ^_^

7 hours ago, Lolicon said:

The inhabitants of said planet will, hopefully, be inspired by this find to build real transforming valkyries and ships and spread out among the stars, eventually finding their way to the ruins of our world. 😁

and they will paint all their ship landing gears white for some strange reason. 😅

On 3/6/2023 at 4:21 PM, 68whiskey said:

Bandai knows you will all pay for any product they throw out there and then pay for it again with the Re issue or different color variant. They know their market quite well. Its the same in the Star Wars, Transformers and Gundam communites. 

The other thing is sometimes the initial pre order price will be low but after release the price will claim due to availability or lack there of.

just my 2 cents.

I blame Bandai as well. it was Macross collector's heaven before the v.2 Frontier valks and the dawn of preordering madness, limited production runs, TWEs etc. 

1 hour ago, m0n5t3r said:

I blame Bandai as well. it was Macross collector's heaven before the v.2 Frontier valks and the dawn of preordering madness, limited production runs, TWEs etc. 

I actually feel it's never been easier to buy anything Macross-related these days...guess it all depends on how far back you are making the comparison...

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

I actually feel it's never been easier to buy anything Macross-related these days...guess it all depends on how far back you are making the comparison...

Yeah, it is easier to preorder Macross stuff right now... and I was only just replying to the OP's question as to why most Macross toys have become ridiculously expensive.

Edited by m0n5t3r

5 hours ago, Vintage Fanboy said:

.. oh so my gosh.. almost all DX VF-31S are priced above $.400,- and even the pre owned ones are still above $.250,- 😂😅😭

It's unfortunately been that way since the Armored Parts set for it was announced in 2019. Bandai had been hinting that a PO for the set might happen soon, so I took a chance and bought a new 31S on Mandarake for about $250, thinking I would pair it with the armor. The PO was announced a few days later and the 31S price on the secondary market instantly shot up to about $450. The price for the DX VF-1J Hikaru was similarly high for a long time. It only started to come down when the GBP combo set was released. Why pay $450 for just the 1J when you could get it (with some improvements) and GBP armor for $150 less? If Bandai ever reissues the Kairos, still arguably the most highly-priced, recently-produced Macross toy on the secondary market, the value of the original release would likely come back down to a reasonable level.

56 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

It's unfortunately been that way since the Armored Parts set for it was announced in 2019. Bandai had been hinting that a PO for the set might happen soon, so I took a chance and bought a new 31S on Mandarake for about $250, thinking I would pair it with the armor. The PO was announced a few days later and the 31S price on the secondary market instantly shot up to about $450. The price for the DX VF-1J Hikaru was similarly high for a long time. It only started to come down when the GBP combo set was released. Why pay $450 for just the 1J when you could get it (with some improvements) and GBP armor for $150 less? If Bandai ever reissues the Kairos, still arguably the most highly-priced, recently-produced Macross toy on the secondary market, the value of the original release would likely come back down to a reasonable level.

.. after thorough checked, VF-25S/F  Armored Messiah and that VF-31S Armored Siegfries are very very tempted for me, especially when some scenes from Macross Frontier still fresh on my mind.. 😂😭😅 .. but no, had to be restrained 'cause too late for me .. and yeah, i would definitely wait for the next and hanging on luck to put me on a very fortunate moment to ..  🙏🏼