Aim for the Top! Gunbuster OVA Blu-ray release by Discotek Media

Duke Togo

Discotek Media is releasing the full, 6-part Aim for the Top! Gunbuster OVA in April on blu-ray. Will include unspecified special features and a brand new English dub.

It's available for preorder on Amazon and RightStuf.

Edited by Duke Togo

• Duke Togo changed the title to Aim for the Top! Gunbuster OVA Blu-ray release by Discotek Media

Oh wow looking at the casting list, I see my old friends Melissa and Cristina will be playing Kazumi and Takami. They were Misa and Minmay in my old DYRL dub. Infact Melissa doesn't live very far from me. I'm gonna need to poke her at some point. 

I currently have the old Bandai(?) DVD set, but have wanted to upgrade to blu-ray for a long while now.

Like many, I was introduced to Gunbuster via the US Renditions VHS releases and it's been a favorite of mine for decades now. I still recall the flier I got from Books Nippan that listed the upcoming releases of Dangiaoh, Gunbuster, and one other anime that I can't recall. Dangaioh and Gunbuster were must haves because of Kawamori and Mikimoto.

Edited by Duke Togo

3 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

I currently have the old Bandai(?) DVD set, but have wanted to upgrade to blu-ray for a long while now.

Like many, I was introduced to Gunbuster via the US Renditions VHS releases and it's been a favorite of mine for decades now. I still recall the flier I got from Books Nippan that listed the upcoming releases of Dangiaoh, Gunbuster, and one other anime that I can't recall. Dangaioh and Gunster were must haves because oh Kawamori and Mikimoto.

same here, I saw the ad at Books Nippon that was downtown Manhattan. I only was able to get vol. 1 bc i had no money. Those clam shell style cases for VHS made it feel premium^_^  

I still have my US Renditions VHS copies of GUNBUSTER hiding somewhere in storage. Two episodes per tape plus the bonus classroom lessons.

If anyone here grew up in The Valley and remembers Continental Comics on Balboa, that's where I'd go for Macross & Gundam kits. The owner or manager there was super cool and he personally recommended Gunbuster & Bubblegum Crisis to me. 

36 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

So, we were paying, what, $30 per VHS? At two episodes per (am I remembering that right?). Which is $65 in 2023 money. The modern anime industry in the US was built upon our wallets.4

that was a lot of money being in elementary school and being poor with no allowance. oftentimes, i could afford a roundtrip for the NYC public train which was $1.00 each way back then.  i had to save up alot to finally make a big purchase once a year. i always was on the lookout for macross vf-1 variable kits to buy though!  

21 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

I still have my US Renditions VHS copies of GUNBUSTER hiding somewhere in storage. Two episodes per tape plus the bonus classroom lessons.

If anyone here grew up in The Valley and remembers Continental Comics on Balboa, that's where I'd go for Macross & Gundam kits. The owner or manager there was super cool and he personally recommended Gunbuster & Bubblegum Crisis to me. 

that's awesome you still have em^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a chance to scan over the english dub a couple of weeks ago. Overall it wasn't bad. There's a number of A Grade voice talent attached to it, though the scripting did take some odd liberties that are different in the original script. Either case it was good, not the best, but good. As for video quality it seemed fine, but seeing how I had to watch it over an old computer I couldn't say for sure it was top notch. 

If I ever get the funds or come across it in person I'll probably end up buying it. 

The dub sounds non-offensive to my ears. I would always watch with original audio, but the voice cast looks to be pretty decent for the dub.

Can confirm the Chariots of Fire-esque music is missing from all audio tracks. However, it has all of the original science lessons (not sure on the newer ones), different matting options for the episodes done widescreen, and some other bonus content.

Lastly, not sure on picture quality. I'm not overly impressed with it, but that may be due to the original source. Would need someone with the Japanese blu to compare.

Edited by Duke Togo

As a follow up to the above, the new release doesn't have the Japanese 5.1 audio that was newly recorded a decade or so ago for the blu release in Japan. Which I'm actually ok with, as I preferred the original audio. The performances were just not quite the same in the new recording, which made it feel off to me.

I checked out more of the English dub. Yeah, not a fan. It's not terrible, but it's missing some of the attitude and emotion I am used to with the original. Also, as Hikuro pointed out, they've taken some odd liberties with the script that I don't think work as well as the original.