SDF-1 DYRL 3D Build

bzwacks

On 2/20/2023 at 5:01 PM, bzwacks said:

Little brother and big brother together. As you can see, there is some misalignment between the front and back...The meshes line up exactly. One part was printed on an Ender and the other on a Prusa...may have had something to do with it.image.png.c43589a8e44e14c502132a0d6bf69512.png

Ouch, did you calibrate the step size on the printers? I know it can vary a bit in practice, especially for larger prints.

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Ouch, did you calibrate the step size on the printers? I know it can vary a bit in practice, especially for larger prints.

Based on what I'm seeing in that picture, in terms of how the parts were oriented for printing, my best guess is that it comes down to differences in how the gcode for the sliced models was generated by the slicing program and interpreted by the two printers, plus differences in the hardware and programming for those printers.

Edited by Anasazi37

10 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Based on what I'm seeing in that picture, in terms of how the parts were oriented for printing, my best guess is that it comes down to differences in how the gcode for the sliced models was generated by the slicing program and interpreted by the two printers, plus differences in the hardware and programming for those printers.

You may be right. I use PrusaSlicer for both of my 3D Printers. Generally, I don't have misalignments that noticeable between different printers using this method, but this time it was there. My Prusa printers are at my office and my Enders are in my home. Maybe the difference in ambient temperature could have caused something weird?

Test fitting the body parts and seeing how the joints hold up. So far, so good. This is after doing some R&D to get the tension and the ratchet mechanisms dialed in. It's leaning against the wall, because it's off balance with half of it's body missing LOL.image.png.d91431cf61128d04b69c78b8cf564cae.pngimage.jpeg.0cae67a59606e4fe1f5d80f98b71337a.jpeg

1 hour ago, bzwacks said:

You may be right. I use PrusaSlicer for both of my 3D Printers. Generally, I don't have misalignments that noticeable between different printers using this method, but this time it was there. My Prusa printers are at my office and my Enders are in my home. Maybe the difference in ambient temperature could have caused something weird?

Yeah, you normally don't see differences that large if the printers are running at roughly the same specs. And I *love* that you mention your printers in the plural form in both office and home settings.

Two bridges. One is based on the Yamato SDF-1 !/3000 toy and the other is based on the technical drawings of the SDF-1 Bridge. I think I like the technical drawing version better. Now, I have to make the antenna so that they are printable...they are very thin in the drawings, but will have to beef them up for 3d printing.

image.jpeg.8c4467ebdf13aa3c7280cb0b53e48161.jpeg

image.jpeg.aa4025a0cb4c916936fdb9089d73b866.jpeg

3 hours ago, bzwacks said:

Two bridges. One is based on the Yamato SDF-1 !/3000 toy and the other is based on the technical drawings of the SDF-1 Bridge. I think I like the technical drawing version better. Now, I have to make the antenna so that they are printable...they are very thin in the drawings, but will have to beef them up for 3d printing.

image.jpeg.8c4467ebdf13aa3c7280cb0b53e48161.jpeg

image.jpeg.aa4025a0cb4c916936fdb9089d73b866.jpeg

Would you be open to making two versions of the antenna? A resin printer could likely handle the finer detail of the original, but I can definitely see why you'd need to beef it up a bit for PLA printing.

12 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Would you be open to making two versions of the antenna? A resin printer could likely handle the finer detail of the original, but I can definitely see why you'd need to beef it up a bit for PLA printing.

I love the fine detail that Resin printing can get, but unfortunately I don't have a space to set up a resin printer. My office will not allow something that is so smelly to run in a shared space and my girlfriend would kill me if I put something in the house that makes her get headaches...she already complains enough when I do small spray paint runs.

7 hours ago, bzwacks said:

I love the fine detail that Resin printing can get, but unfortunately I don't have a space to set up a resin printer. My office will not allow something that is so smelly to run in a shared space and my girlfriend would kill me if I put something in the house that makes her get headaches...she already complains enough when I do small spray paint runs.

I was thinking a bit more selfishly...you know, in case you decide to make your files available to folks with resin printers.... :D

I completely understand about the smell. I've gone to great lengths to minimize it in my house. Created a tighter seal where the cover meets the base, run two charcoal filter air purifiers inside the enclosure during printing, run a larger purifier in the space I use to clean and cure parts. And still my wife occasionally complains about the smell. I don't blame her.

49 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

I was thinking a bit more selfishly...you know, in case you decide to make your files available to folks with resin printers.... :D

I completely understand about the smell. I've gone to great lengths to minimize it in my house. Created a tighter seal where the cover meets the base, run two charcoal filter air purifiers inside the enclosure during printing, run a larger purifier in the space I use to clean and cure parts. And still my wife occasionally complains about the smell. I don't blame her.

Solution: get Taco Bell for lunch/ dinner right before you print parts.

Trust me: she won't complain about the printer smell  anymore... :D

----------------------------

Help a Peng out for his birthday!:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=Q6683CJCZHFVS

Edited by pengbuzz

On 2/28/2023 at 7:46 PM, pengbuzz said:

Solution: get Taco Bell for lunch/ dinner right before you print parts.

Trust me: she won't complain about the printer smell  anymore... :D

----------------------------

Help a Peng out for his birthday!:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=Q6683CJCZHFVS

Tacos are always an option!

Sometimes it's good to show the mistakes. I'm reprinting the top portions of the main gun. In this test fitting, I noticed they are a little too short, so I lengthened them a little. Even though I did orthographic modeling of the SDF-1, sometimes the compensation for lens curvature isn't totally correct. Not a big deal, because they'll be done printing by this time tomorrow. 

So far the balance is pretty good. In this photo, everything is held together by screws / bolts or tension fittings. I try not to use any glue on items this large. Only greeble will get the glue treatment

.image.jpeg.4cb685bc9fa0ceeb85af64fb3bbbd36c.jpeg

Edited by bzwacks

7 hours ago, bzwacks said:

Sometimes it's good to show the mistakes. I'm reprinting the top portions of the main gun. In this test fitting, I noticed they are a little too short, so I lengthened them a little. Even though I did orthographic modeling of the SDF-1, sometimes the compensation for lens curvature isn't totally correct. Not a big deal, because they'll be done printing by this time tomorrow. 

So far the balance is pretty good. In this photo, everything is held together by screws / bolts or tension fittings. I try not to use any glue on items this large. Only greeble will get the glue treatment

.image.jpeg.4cb685bc9fa0ceeb85af64fb3bbbd36c.jpeg

That is coming together so nicely. As a professional photogrammetrist, I can say with confidence that most camera modeling software is crap. If they'd actually get the math right, the distortion you're talking about shouldn't be an issue--especially if you're tying together a large number of overlapping images of the same object taken from different perspectives to build a 3D representation. With that said, if the top portions of the guns are the only problem areas, that's great news.

4 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

That is coming together so nicely. As a professional photogrammetrist, I can say with confidence that most camera modeling software is crap. If they'd actually get the math right, the distortion you're talking about shouldn't be an issue--especially if you're tying together a large number of overlapping images of the same object taken from different perspectives to build a 3D representation. With that said, if the top portions of the guns are the only problem areas, that's great news.

Very true. I do photogrammetric modeling sometimes and work with a vendor that does it for big movies. The iphone software is OK for certain things, but generally junk. I used a Revopoint MINI Camera for some reference scans of the ARMD, but everything else was just 2D photos that I used as background images in my modeling software for reference. The Revopoint scan ( below ) couldn't capture enough minute detail for it to be useful in a meaningful way. 

image.jpeg.41fdee48fd56b8c4dea4ae5f0fcb9959.jpeg

10 hours ago, bzwacks said:

Very true. I do photogrammetric modeling sometimes and work with a vendor that does it for big movies. The iphone software is OK for certain things, but generally junk. I used a Revopoint MINI Camera for some reference scans of the ARMD, but everything else was just 2D photos that I used as background images in my modeling software for reference. The Revopoint scan ( below ) couldn't capture enough minute detail for it to be useful in a meaningful way. 

image.jpeg.41fdee48fd56b8c4dea4ae5f0fcb9959.jpeg

...and that's why I ended up designing and building my own high resolution laser scanner. You know, for "scientific research" and whatnot. :D

New gun tips. Amazingly enough, it's perfectly balanced...even without legs. The main guns are splaying out a little bit. That's due to the lateral strain on the main frame. I need to either print a new support bar or make one out of metal.image.jpeg.4d4cd31aeee5a3480da1663e802f061e.jpeg

3 hours ago, bzwacks said:

New gun tips. Amazingly enough, it's perfectly balanced...even without legs. The main guns are splaying out a little bit. That's due to the lateral strain on the main frame. I need to either print a new support bar or make one out of metal.image.jpeg.4d4cd31aeee5a3480da1663e802f061e.jpeg

I'd go with a metal one, and an interface between the bar and the booms so the resin doesn't deform from the weight of the booms on bare metal (such as a hard rubber bishing or something).

On 3/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, Bolt said:

Very nice ! Great job👍🏼 Yes, a bracket to help relieve stress and slop makes perfect sense. So could this be disassembled and transformed? 

It can be disassembled. 90% of it is held together with bolts and screws. Greeble and a few details are glued. This one is not transformable yet, but I plan on updating a few parts so I can print a transformable version with minimal fuss. Everything was designed from the outset to be transformable in the future. The best way to make this toy-like, like a Transformer ( with just friction and ratchet joints) would be to get the frame milled from metal and have mechanical metal joints. Not impossible, but will take time. But it's so freaking large, that transforming it would be a team effort LOL.

Edited by bzwacks

16 minutes ago, bzwacks said:

It can be disassembled. 90% of it is held together with bolts and screws. Greeble and a few details are glued. This one is not transformable yet, but I plan on updating a few parts so I can print a transformable version with minimal fuss. Everything was designed from the outset to be transformable in the future. The best way to make this toy-like, like a Transformer ( with just friction and ratchet joints) would be to get the frame milled from metal and have mechanical metal joints. Not impossible, but will take time. But it's so freaking large, that transforming it would be a team effort LOL.

Ah yes, very cool 👍🏼
Personally, I'd be satisfied with making it  transform able, but needing to be disassembled and reassembled. Or even changing out different brackets to do so. Actually making it transform like a Transformer would be some kinda time consuming high end design and  fabrication jobby.B))

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Somebody get a Small Lake and a YF-19...quick!!

That is the perfect picture :)

image.png.4ef07d0d3c9551f11f313ebacadbbacd.png

image.png.172f13d2ce3a93fc8c35f9d932ce62fb.png

My friend, you have the right mindset. I can probably print a pair a main guns that have the ends burnt off. That would be great fun. My only problem is that I need more room to display it in it's lake setting...I need to get a bigger house!