SDF-1 DYRL 3D Build

bzwacks

Hello All, I'm a newbie to the forums, but a long time lurker. I have been printing 3D stuff for a while, but have been gearing that hobby towards my Macross obsession for about the last year. This is my latest build project  ( and the biggest as well ). I will use this thread to post updates as often as I can ( which may not be super often, but I'll try ). This is based on the Yamato 1/3000 toy with modifications for size and engineering. It is being modeled in Cinema4D and printed with PLA on Ender and Prusa printers. I haven't figured out scale yet, but I'll place other macross toys next to the images to give a sense of scale. I started the project about 3 weeks ago. I started with a 3D mesh from another modeler, but that was for loose reference. It is now 95% scratch modeled, with only a portion of the torso being left over from that original mesh. 

This is the current state of the 3D mesh. The arms and joints are still being worked out.

SDF-1a.jpg

I'm ignorant when it comes to 3D printing but it seems like some things are being upscaled that don't need to be and might cost you a lot of time and resources. Like, up around the knee, it looks like the plastic there is like an inch thick. At this scale, I fear you'll end up with a toy so massive and heavy, you won't be able to move it! 

42 minutes ago, jenius said:

I'm ignorant when it comes to 3D printing but it seems like some things are being upscaled that don't need to be and might cost you a lot of time and resources. Like, up around the knee, it looks like the plastic there is like an inch thick. At this scale, I fear you'll end up with a toy so massive and heavy, you won't be able to move it! 

I'm guessing that they're using one of the standard hollow printing methods, where it looks solid from the outside, but has something like a 15% infill with a grid pattern to give the pieces strength but keep them very light and not waste a bunch of printing time and material. I see that all the time with large starship builds and use the method a lot myself. Slicing software handles that for you automatically, but you have to set the infill density and the pattern to use.

Something like this. I created a simple cylinder in my slicing program and then generated print instructions so that there would be a solid outer shell and a 15% infill grid pattern. What you're seeing is a peek inside the end result, part of the way through the print. You can basically "play" the print like a simulator and watch what it will do. That translucent grey thing is the virtual print head.

image.png.1acbf8f9d6fb51d7ea94e941f28cf404.png

Edited by Anasazi37

8 hours ago, jenius said:

Ah, I see! Lol, you still might end up needing a forklift to move it!

Or at the very least, a trusted friend so you can each carry one side. It's going to be BIG. I'd be tempted to print this myself if the files are made available for purchase. It would be in line behind some large starship kits like the Aliens Dropship, Aliens Sulaco, Last Starfighter Gunstar, and Babylon 5 Omega Class Destroyer, but would be a fun project. The Omega Class, when printed, is more than a meter long and the central section rotates! I'm glad that folks like @bzwacks are putting their creations out there for us to admire.

74356888_10157802478482164_6933302788956880896_n.jpg Free STL file 1m long Babylon 5 Omega Class Destroyer・3D printing design to download

The infill for the legs is around 20%. They need to be a little sturdier to bear the weight of the upper portions. Most parts are shell construction, so it reduces the overall weight. The one leg weighs 1lb 9oz. So, I will gander that the overall weight of the entire SDF-1 will clock in around 10-14lbs. Not too shabby. The upper guns are also shell constructions, so that reduces weight a lot. Screws and springs will add back a little weight, but it shouldn't be too bad.  

This bad boy ( 1/60 MKII Destroid Monster ) clocked in around 20lbs, but it also has counter weights in it's rear torso to balance out the length of the barrels. That's a 1/60 Yamato VF-1 Armor for scale.image.jpeg.12665374e1a42a6979fa3108a8ccf386.jpeg

3 hours ago, bzwacks said:

The infill for the legs is around 20%. They need to be a little sturdier to bear the weight of the upper portions. Most parts are shell construction, so it reduces the overall weight. The one leg weighs 1lb 9oz. So, I will gander that the overall weight of the entire SDF-1 will clock in around 10-14lbs. Not too shabby. The upper guns are also shell constructions, so that reduces weight a lot. Screws and springs will add back a little weight, but it shouldn't be too bad.  

This bad boy ( 1/60 MKII Destroid Monster ) clocked in around 20lbs, but it also has counter weights in it's rear torso to balance out the length of the barrels. That's a 1/60 Yamato VF-1 Armor for scale.image.jpeg.12665374e1a42a6979fa3108a8ccf386.jpeg

Is that a custom Monster design? Trying to decide if I should actually try to build the 1/72 Mike Salzo resin cast Monster that I've been hanging onto for 20 years or print this one. That is, assuming the files are available...somewhere....

That is a scratch build referencing line art from http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/destroid-monster.htm. Below is a mid progress render to get the basic parts modeled. After that, each component was given it's own file and detail / grebble was added. Then I cut up the pieces into manageable chunk that could work with my printers.sBefore I could make it available, I would have to weed out all of the useless stuff and gather everything together. I will try to get to that one day...it will take a decent amount of effort to curate everything.

image.jpeg.06520da8cabb8192930535e4cf0f5e6d.jpeg

19 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Trying to decide if I should actually try to build the 1/72 Mike Salzo resin cast Monster that I've been hanging onto

I'm in the same boat buddy. I think this is the year I'm gonna build it !

20 minutes ago, bzwacks said:

That is a scratch build referencing line art from http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/destroid-monster.htm. Below is a mid progress render to get the basic parts modeled. After that, each component was given it's own file and detail / grebble was added. Then I cut up the pieces into manageable chunk that could work with my printers.sBefore I could make it available, I would have to weed out all of the useless stuff and gather everything together. I will try to get to that one day...it will take a decent amount of effort to curate everything.

image.jpeg.06520da8cabb8192930535e4cf0f5e6d.jpeg

Good job! I imagine a few peeps here would love a monster at that scale 👍🏼

Small, but important update for the SDF-1. I finished the main frame. It was printed with 4 layers of walling and 70% infill. It's VERY sturdy and will be the backbone of the over all build. Nothing special to look at, but it everything will be bolted to it. In the pic, some covers and the tops of the legs are attached to it for tesimage.jpeg.c1e24179858928f186031f738b93943f.jpegt fitting.

Ratchet pin is working in the shoulder joints. The springs exert about 1.4lbs of force. May need to get beefier springs, but I won't know until the arm is built out and see how much downward force the extended assembly will put on the joint.image.jpeg.d3f861a831021b0397bc0d13553f26d4.jpeg

In progress update. The main structure is starting to come together. Most of the fiddly bits ( small cannons, grebble, etc ) will be printed after the main hull is constructed and tested. For now, it's non-tranformable, but it does have joints. I am creating it so, in the future, all I will need to do is change out the main frame, a couple of hinges for the main gun, and it could transform into cruiser mode. One thing at a time for now. image.jpeg.743afd3cfa3686efb524aba8de1726bf.jpeg

Little brother and big brother together. As you can see, there is some misalignment between the front and back...The meshes line up exactly. One part was printed on an Ender and the other on a Prusa...may have had something to do with it.image.png.c43589a8e44e14c502132a0d6bf69512.png