1/72 Wave VF-4 Lightning lll Build Gallery

Goodman Models

Hi All, 

Here's the completed build. It's the CAG bird of the (doubly) fictitious Sundowner squadron based out of the SDF-18. I went to great lengths to make the markings as authentic as possible as I could not find any decal sheets. I must thank Mark Wright for sending me an f-14 sheet, which sadly had deteriorated, but was very helpful in cutting my own masks and as guide for real decal placement! The serial number is the first part of the number and the '15' at the end represents the roll-out year, 2015. 

The weapons are in fact plumb and level to the plane although they look a little off kilter due to the angle is some of the pics, lol. The asymmetrical loadout is out of the Master File. There's also a couple of silvered decals I couldn't quite melt despite poking and soaking several times! Anyone have any other tricks? The kit really did have thick panel lines, but whatcha gonna do. I initially wanted to scratch build the VF-4 gunpod but then I didn't bother; I do enjoy the look of the GU-11 and I added brass barrels to it. The AN/ALQ-184 (Short) ECM Pod is a resin one from Brassin. I made up the pylon for it and the GU-11 from the spares bin. Someday I'll learn how to photoshop out the brass mounting rod, but pretty happy to have this one done as it has been a 'grail' design for me. Thanks for looking. 

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

DSC05728 copy.png

DSC05731.JPG

DSC05733.JPG

DSC05734.JPG

DSC05735.JPG

DSC05736.JPG

DSC05737.JPG

DSC05738.JPG

DSC05739.JPG

DSC05740.JPG

DSC05741.JPG

DSC05742.JPG

DSC05743.JPG

DSC05744.JPG

DSC05745.JPG

You really did a beautiful job @Goodman Models I really love your finish and load out. The paint scheme and decals are awesome. Something I've noticed, looking at VF-4 examples all over, decal markings are minimal. You really brought this bird to life with ample markings! It looks Awesome! My hats off to you :yahoo:

Edited by Bolt

5 hours ago, Goodman Models said:

There's also a couple of silvered decals I couldn't quite melt despite poking and soaking several times! Anyone have any other tricks?

I haven’t had that problem since I started using gloss coat before the application. When I had a slightly dull surface though, I used to either scrap the decal by sanding it down and replacing it. But I did find that mixing the base color with clear and spraying it over the decal sometimes worked pretty well at hiding the silvering. There’s also the difficult method of masking the decal and just spraying the color over it or if you have super steady hands, there the xacto method where you lightly follow the outline of the markings and carefully peel away the bit that’s damaged, but I’ve never really been successful at that one.

Hopefully, you find a method that works for you. Either way they are tiny blemishes on a fantastic build. Great job and can’t wait to see your next project 

15 hours ago, Big s said:

I haven’t had that problem since I started using gloss coat before the application. When I had a slightly dull surface though, I used to either scrap the decal by sanding it down and replacing it. But I did find that mixing the base color with clear and spraying it over the decal sometimes worked pretty well at hiding the silvering. There’s also the difficult method of masking the decal and just spraying the color over it or if you have super steady hands, there the xacto method where you lightly follow the outline of the markings and carefully peel away the bit that’s damaged, but I’ve never really been successful at that one.

Hopefully, you find a method that works for you. Either way they are tiny blemishes on a fantastic build. Great job and can’t wait to see your next project 

Thanks Big S! That's a good idea, I forgot about that - I will spray a bit of base coat + clear over them. I may try soaking the trouble markings one more time!

20 hours ago, Shawn said:

That is a totally bad-ass build! It looks fantastic!
Love the paint scheme, and you packed an amazing amount if detail is such a small kit.

We NEED a 1/48 of this bird.

The color demarcation line reminds me of a shark, love it!

image.png.a6e308666fcfa37fa36c25926cb079f1.png

I almost did Sharks teeth, but then the nose has the non-reflective paint! On the next one maybe, lol.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:28 PM, Bolt said:

You really did a beautiful job @Goodman Models I really love your finish and load out. The paint scheme and decals are awesome. Something I've noticed, looking at VF-4 examples all over, decal markings are minimal. You really brought this bird to life with ample markings! It looks Awesome! My hats off to you :yahoo:

Thanks again Bolt! The markings are based on the placement guide in the VF 4 Master File and some additional information from modern fighters I have in various refs. I had to use a mix of navy, Gundam, kit and other macross sheets to get it right. 

2 hours ago, Goodman Models said:

Thanks again Bolt! The markings are based on the placement guide in the VF 4 Master File and some additional information from modern fighters I have in various refs. I had to use a mix of navy, Gundam, kit and other macross sheets to get it right. 

Yes, it's handy to have various other kits around, as additional decal resources. I'm coming to really learn..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Goodman Models said:

I'm very pleased to announce my valk snagged some Wonderfest awards! It's a stringent judging system, so these are pretty meaningful to me. 

IMG_20230613_230326501.jpg

It looked great before and even better now with those trophies for a well deserved display 

On 6/23/2023 at 5:37 AM, Goodman Models said:

I'm very pleased to announce my valk snagged some Wonderfest awards! It's a stringent judging system, so these are pretty meaningful to me. 

IMG_20230613_230326501.jpg

I think I caught a quick glimpse of your kit on Adam Savages Tested. Their channel seems to mostly focus on the Starwars and short circuit stuff, but they did a few quick passes by the competition table and I’m not sure, but it looked like for a split second it showed the vf-4

A quick update. There was no awards ceremony at this year's WF, and I only had a grading on the VF-4; but since the results have been posted, it turns out that my 1/144 GM Sniper II Test Type was the winner of the 'Best Mecha' Award. So there ya go. It makes more sense, now lol.

2 hours ago, Goodman Models said:

A quick update. There was no awards ceremony at this year's WF, and I only had a grading on the VF-4; but since the results have been posted, it turns out that my 1/144 GM Sniper II Test Type was the winner of the 'Best Mecha' Award. So there ya go. It makes more sense, now lol.

Awesome dude!

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, Goodman Models said:

Sonofabitch. I just realized I have the vertical stabs switched around. 

11 hours ago, Bolt said:

Well shuck.. I'm sure you're the only one who really see's it.

I'm too in love with all the work you put it know or care👍🏼

True dat, didn't see it (still don't).:D