Takatoku Toys 1/100 Macross VF-1 Collection

jvmacross

Takatoku Toys 1/100 Macross VF-1 Collection....

These are the only 1/100 SDFM TV VF-1 PT toys released during the original SDF-1 era by Takatoku Toys....

Note that although pictured in the back of the box, a 1/100 VF-1J Milia was never released and neither was a 1/100 Super VF-1J....I think if Takatoku would not have went out of business, I am sure we would have seen them produce both the Milia and Super VF-1, as well as a VF-1D for both the 1/100 and 1/55 line....

The only other 1/100 VF-1 released using this mold was by Bandai to capitalize on the acquisition of Takatoku's molds (both 1/55 and 1/100) and release some merch tied to the release of the Macross film, DYRL...unfortunately, Bandai did next to nothing with the 1/100 molds, releasing only Hikaru's movie version VF-1A....even today, the only re-releases based on the old Takatoku molds have been of 1/55 VF-1's....a nice retro line using these 1/100 molds would be cool...assuming the molds still exist....

Of course, anyone who lived through the original release of Robotech in 1985 will probably have tales of encountering and perhaps purchasing many a 1/100 KO at their local flea markets or other local shopping venues...I personally recall seeing KO VF-1S and VF-1J 1/100, which actually had more diecast content that the original Takatoku Toys releases!

The original Takatoku Toys 1/100 versions have seemingly had a resurgence in interest and have for several years now, climbed in value...at times selling for as much or more than their 1/55 counterparts.....I do not have any production data, but I do not think, based on their frequency of listings, etc...that the 1/100's saw anywhere near the production numbers that the 1/55 versions seemed to have had...if you have the Takatoku 1/55 toys, I recommend getting at least one of these 1/100 for comparison and display purposes...they are pretty well constructed, but in no way as rugged as the legendary 1/55 VF-1....however, the 1/100 is basically a "mini" version of the 1/55 VF-1 toy....including the awesome boxart!

large.20221231_195403.jpg.8618afdd32b552

large.20221231_195514.jpg.802538ddfb2e2e

large.20221231_195433.jpg.cc8edb358eaa31

large.20221231_195538.jpg.6ae36f2ab7f123

large.20221231_195612.jpg.e863c69b6aa50b

large.20221231_195629.jpg.2507defed6bffd

Edited by jvmacross

I have heard this before....is there any remarks made about this in articles originating from Japanese toy mags?

I probably have intentionally avoided any samples that were not complete, so can't confirm if that's how they came or if gunpods were "borrowed" from other 1/100 "donor" toys...but guessing that wouldn't happen unless taken from a "parts" toy....

But now that you mention the gunpods...back in the day, I found it kind of odd that the KOs came with, what I later learned, a Sasuraiger Batrain gun...lol

Maybe the KO guy in HK or Taiwan got a hold of a  gunpod-less VF-1J Max...lol

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I have heard this before....is there any remarks made about this in articles originating from Japanese toy mags?

I probably have intentionally avoided any samples that were not complete, so can't confirm if that's how they came or if gunpods were "borrowed" from other 1/100 "donor" toys...but guessing that wouldn't happen unless taken from a "parts" toy....

But now that you mention the gunpods...back in the day, I found it kind of odd that the KOs came with, what I later learned, a Sasuraiger Batrain gun...lol

Maybe the KO guy in HK or Taiwan got a hold of a  gunpod-less VF-1J Max...lol

It was probably due to what was available to whomever received the molds. While many KOs have the Sasuraiger weapon there are other with the correct VF-1 gunpod.

Aside from a few gunpods missing from the VF-1J Max, there was also many JM VF-1J Milia with missing stickers sheets. Missing parts could have been due to Takatoku closing it’s doors or Bandai not producing enough for unaccounted and unanticipated inventory from the incumbent manufacturer.

I believe this information was found in the old threads.

3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

And in an article in Toy Fair from 84, no gunpod on the 1/100
Guess they didn't have one scaled at the time?

Stupid question...does the 1/55 gunpod fit in the hand slot on the 1/100?

image.png.d48310e73b919da57f148a1c4824351e.png

The gunpod handle of the 1/55 is far too big for the 1/100. They can’t share the weapon.

11 minutes ago, Shawn said:

From a catalog in 1985 or 86, it is mentioned to NOT expect a gunpod in these
It is so weird.

image.png.c6dccc24d3518c81a68852028d3129f6.png

Well, there you have it......and apparently it was an issue with more than the 1/100 VF-1J Max.......the Japanese mag also presents some "proof" of this problem with some of the Takatoku Toys 1/100 VF-1's...it's not hard proof, but why mount the gun on the 1/55 and not the 1/100?

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Yeah...figured as much, but just wanted to ask. I'm the Modeling guy...so wasn't 100% sure :)

So that means the only 'official' 1/100 Gunpod (non-KO) is the 1/100 Bandai DYRL VF-1A right?

Are you intentionally trying to start a "run" on available stock of Bandai 1/100 DYRL VF-1A's? 

:rolleyes:

I did not want to turn this into a 1/100 discussion....but I think the dark canopy version was a variant that was produced in Taiwan for European consumption....or maybe just for the Italian market...I forget...I think boxed versions would have that "Transformabli" sticker attached to them...maybe there is a mention of it in that Italian TT book?

Not to further derail the thread....but I think Takatoku may have produced several of their toys towards their end in Taiwan for export....not just their Macross line...I mentioned before on another thread that it is probably how the whole KO thing got quickly out of hand once Takatoku went BK...

I know I still have at least one other 1/100 Takatoku VF-1J, so now I'll need to locate it to see if it has the dark brown or light brown canopy....

I'm thinking the dark brown came after the light brown.......the dark brown is what was used for many of the KOs and also with the semi-legit Matsushiro....assuming there weren't any light brown canopy Matsushiro variants as well!  LOL

large.2046752502_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

18 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I did not want to turn this into a 1/100 discussion....but I think the dark canopy version was a variant that was produced in Taiwan for European consumption....or maybe just for the Italian market...I forget...I think boxed versions would have that "Transformabli" sticker attached to them...maybe there is a mention of it in that Italian TT book?

Not to further derail the thread....but I think Takatoku may have produced several of their toys towards their end in Taiwan for export....not just their Macross line...I mentioned before on another thread that it is probably how the whole KO thing got quickly out of hand once Takatoku went BK...

According to Tony Yao, versions that have the "Transformabli" sticker are Takatoku boxes. Under the sticker they are printed with “Made in Taiwan”.

Note: the embossing patterns on both of these is very different. And the "Transformabli" box is slightly darker green.

13 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I know I still have at least one other 1/100 Takatoku VF-1J, so now I'll need to locate it to see if it has the dark brown or light brown canopy....

I'm thinking the dark brown came after the light brown.......the dark brown is what was used for many of the KOs and also with the semi-legit Matsushiro....assuming there weren't any light brown canopy Matsushiro variants as well!  LOL

large.2046752502_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

These remnant TT in Matsushiro packaging have all been dark brown canopies from what I have seen and owned. Possible left overs of the second wave of the original TT run.

image.png

Wow, that gunpod pic shows there IS a big difference, thanks for the compare!
Here is the mention of the variant cockpit color from the Italian TT book
image.png.84545b5e7971e98234090dc1ec7d3418.png

In their VF-1A pic, they have a gunpod in the box.
Depending how you read this, it is the 4th in the group they are showing, or the 4th in the release schedule from Taka
Maybe they started making some gunpods in the later releases and it was hit and miss whether you got one or not? (nothing like another rumor)

image.png.39fed046918309778a21f0802d2dd04e.png

23 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

According to Tony Yao, versions that have the "Transformabli" sticker are Takatoku boxes. Under the sticker they are printed with “Made in Taiwan”.

Note: the embossing patterns on both of these is very different. And the "Transformabli" box is slightly darker green.

Yeah, they are legit Takatoku...but not exactly sure of the intent...was this done to try and increase sales by expanding outside Japan...in some attempt to help TT's bottom line?

11 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

These remnant TT in Matsushiro packaging have all been dark brown canopies from what I have seen and owned. Possible left overs of the second wave of the original TT run.

image.png

I always like how you sneak in your customs into many of your pics....you definitely took the "Super Real...Diecast/Plastic Scale Model & High Technology" to heart!

Edited by jvmacross

14 minutes ago, Shawn said:

In their VF-1A pic, they have a gunpod in the box.
Depending how you read this, it is the 4th in the group they are showing, or the 4th in the release schedule from Taka
Maybe they started making some gunpods in the later releases and it was hit and miss whether you got one or not? (nothing like another rumor)

image.png.39fed046918309778a21f0802d2dd04e.png

Is there any mention of this type of VF-1A head?

image.png.cd7516ceda54b5e224e4b21f9b5aea7d.png

image.png.cd294e87bbd5cfa651b8cc07ad02df25.png

the mold does not match the Kanzen Henkei nor any 1A in model kit form that I can recall.

There is also white visions of these VFs released.

22 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Here is info on another similar Takatoku "Made in Taiwan" that likely was another "non-Japanese" market export....

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/38997-takatoku-outsourced-to-taiwan/#comment-1056282

This version is the same box used for this version on the right “I Trasformibli”, according to Tony Y. I have never peaked under the sticker, but I guess I have to validate his claim.

image.jpeg.d71ec5511b1400497c32caa787233d5a.jpeg
TT V3 vs “I Trasformibli“

Box textures are very different. Zoom in and you’ll see.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

18 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

While many KOs have the Sasuraiger weapon there are other with the correct VF-1 gunpod.

Do you have an example of the packaging for a KO that actually came with a correct gundpod?

The only KOs that reached my neck of the woods (Chicago) during that time all came with the Sasuraiger gun...in fact the plastic packaging was actually molded to accommodate the shape of the VF-1 battroid form and the shape of the Sasuraiger gun....there must have been multiple KO shops churning these out in the mid-80's...based on my own experience...the "Robotic Jet" versions were harder to come by and I think I only saw them for a few weeks in 1985 or 1986...personally, it was my favorite due to being a "VF-1S"....I no longer have it and can't recall what type of gun it had, but I want to say it was a Sasuraiger because I think I would have kept the "gunpod" for my KO VF-1J (which I still have) that came with a Sasuraiger gun...Also, never saw KO VF-1A's at any of the places I used to look for these KOs...

Thanks!

Makes sense now why I never saw one like it near me....

I really like that "Strike Hikaru" paint app......it's a shame Bandai did not release the rest of the variants....I'm guessing you probably painted some 1/100 with Kakizaki and Max colors....

Don't think I have ever seen one for sale on auction or elsewhere....would like to get my hands on one if it ever does...although I'm thinking all you would need is a donor Bandai DYRL VF-1A and a donor VF-1S head to make one...lol

These 1/100 Strike Valkyrie version pop up from time to time. They end going for near or higher than a mint TT version. Oh how times have changed.

Also, you could just use this version to any DYRL VF-1A types.

image.jpeg.e66e2907279a1fa4fbc724fa862abeba.jpegCheck out that wild head. It not like the Bandai VF-1A Hikaru.

image.jpeg.7f80cfa4685da3e9213b173ad0bb146f.jpeg