The GTC Legacy Project

Shawn

A MASSIVE THANK YOU Shawn for sharing this cool find with us! It's the holy grail of anime model kits! It's flashbacks like an old episode of "Kung Fu"!

I was buying from Ron back in the 80's! I remember how tickled I was just to find him and that he had everything in stock!. It was tough to get Macross back then. The internet was still a sci-fi idea!

On another note, it's sad Ron's not doing so hot. I had wondered what happened to him? Someplace I still have an early catalog from him!

If there was a "like" button for this thread, I'd hit it! - MT

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

A MASSIVE THANK YOU Shawn for sharing this cool find with us! It's the holy grail of anime model kits! It's flashbacks like an old episode of "Kung Fu"!

I was buying from Ron back in the 80's! I remember how tickled I was just to find him and that he had everything in stock!. It was tough to get Macross back then. The internet was still a sci-fi idea!

On another note, it's sad Ron's not doing so hot. I had wondered what happened to him? Someplace I still have an early catalog from him!

If there was a "like" button for this thread, I'd hit it! - MT

Right? You may want to stock up then, while you still have time!

If anyone has any of the older or newer catalogs I'd love to see them.

I think I have a 93 and 94? I've got to do some more digging over the holidays.

One goal is to try to reach out to Ron as see if he has any stories to tell about his business over the decades, I'm sure he has quite a few.

Anthony said he is going to shoot off some more pics and perhaps a video in the next couple days so we'll have another update soon,
His team has unboxed and inventoried approx 7000 kits so far...they have a long long way to go! (original estimate was about 100k in the GTC inventory)

Can't even imagine it.

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Do any of the members here know where we could spread the word for the other series kits?

Like Gundam or Ideon or Yamato? I'm sure those fans would be as excited as we are seeing the Macross kits.

Starship Modeler and Replica Prop Forums would be good venues for that.

Is it ok to contact them directly for purchase of individual kits instead of waiting for them to come up on ebay?  Or should I just buy what comes up and wait for them to list the ones I want one at a time?  I'd rather combine shipping for a large order, but I understand that this could take some time to sort through.  

SOOOOooooo.....is THIS the reason why as a kid in the 80s in TX I was driving my parents crazy about going out and hunting down Robotech(I didn't know what Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeada was) model kits at every dark, dank hobby shop around town?  They were practically non-existent.  They were ALL being horded half way around the world and kept in storage somewhere? 

8 hours ago, derex3592 said:

SOOOOooooo.....is THIS the reason why as a kid in the 80s in TX I was driving my parents crazy about going out and hunting down Robotech(I didn't know what Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeada was) model kits at every dark, dank hobby shop around town?  They were practically non-existent.  They were ALL being horded half way around the world and kept in storage somewhere? 

Oh, we had these where I lived. just could never afford them (and still can't!).

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=Q6683CJCZHFVS

Edited by pengbuzz

I had at least half a dozen of the revell models . Macross and Dougram mix. But I didn't know what they were from , until i started buying Japanese animation books from the swap meet. I even had a few chunky monkey's , at that time. That was all before Code name Robotech first aired and then , the series, on TV. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got super lucky with this, however, they have been a little shady with my orders. Charging double shipping and I had to win a case against them. they said they combined an order but in reality they did not. After reading negative reviews, it’s seems when they don’t  want to sell something for the price it sold at, they wait a while and then refund with no explanation then a few weeks later it is reposted at a higher price.  I hope that does not happen with this purchase.  I am not very trusting of their company right now.  They seem a little shady. But this is my opinion. 

E3C6E303-FF37-4655-B7A5-E2CF89DAA677.png

Edited by Vintage Macross

15 hours ago, Vintage Macross said:

Got super lucky with this, however, they have been a little shady with my orders. Charging double shipping and I had to win a case against them. they said they combined an order but in reality they did not. After reading negative reviews, it’s seems when they don’t  want to sell something for the price it sold at, they wait a while and then refund with no explanation then a few weeks later it is reposted at a higher price.  I hope that does not happen with this purchase.  I am not very trusting of their company right now.  They seem a little shady. But this is my opinion. 

E3C6E303-FF37-4655-B7A5-E2CF89DAA677.png

Wow. Great price.

I just stumbled across the GTC legacy project page and I can not tell you the happy memories this story has brought back! I remember ordering model kits GTC around 83-85 and calling Ron through out that time and asking a just about every question under Gods green earth about the kits that I was interested in. I remember first finding the GTC ad in the back of a StarLog magazine and ordering my first catalog and just pouring over all the cool Japanese model kits. I also remember waiting and waiting for my orders and when they show up it was like Christmas, I also remember my friends always asking where was I getting these cool model kits from?? 

Thank you for for this and a big thanks to the guys from Wise Guys Hobbies for providing these kits to the public again. Also its sad to hear that Ron Downing has fallen ill, but I'm sure that it must bring a smile to his face knowing the joy that his business brought to so many of us here in the US.

Thank you Mr. Ron Downing!!