Containers for Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 boxes

levzloi

Very cool storage pics from everyone.  I have piles of empty toy packaging in different areas.  One of my closets still has unopened doubles of toys that weren't placed in containers or boxes so I'm making use of the boxes I have.

08CF992B-41BE-43A7-A910-2D5958383618.jpeg.38294fa91bd0557a731918cf6d6ad5a0.jpeg

F38A8DE9-8610-4ACF-BDB9-B1D70237D660.jpeg.a2e2d2c20f86bdce7d3e8a028de04a03.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the Ikea Samla boxes (the biggest ones) and I can’t recommend them. 

When you stack them with heavier items in them their lids can break or get malformed from the pressure possibly damaging the items inside. I stacked them 4 boxes high and had that happen.

Secondly, they are narrower at the bottom (so you can stack them with a smaller footprint in the store/warehouse) which makes it harder to play box Tetris with cuboids such a toy boxes.

I often find myself having boxes that would theoretically in the container but can’t because of that or boxes unsupported by anything below them being squished between the walls of the container and another box.

I can relate with @Scyla. Although I'm not using Ikea Samlas, certain other plastic boxes do have lids that deforms rather easily with weight when stacked.

Sometimes managing the boxes is as involving as managing the actual toy displays. It's astonishing how much spaces at home can diminish VERY quickly with a toy collection lol..

On 12/4/2022 at 5:41 PM, sh9000 said:

.... One of my closets still has unopened doubles of toys that weren't placed in containers or boxes so I'm making use of the boxes I have.

^ @sh9000 - Please LMK if you decide to sell some of your duplicate toys ... like the VF-17. I am PayPal ready and have positive feedback. :)

Edited by ValkAddict

• 3 weeks later...

These storage pics are incredible.  Are you guys able to display any of these?  Seems like too many to really be able to display effectively unless you have them all over the house/apartment 😄.  Which I'd be all for doing but doesn't seem like a good idea

21 hours ago, jenius said:

I put a code on each tote and have a spreadsheet that links the code to the toys in it. I'm in the process of putting a bunch of storage in my basement though so soon they'll go from totes to cabinets.

That is a great system. I have done similar with other items. Once they are tagged I place a marker on them to remind me that it’s been catalogued.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

I wish I was that organized.. all of mine are essentially grouped by.. "category?" I guess you can call it that.  They're scattered across a few rooms, and only stacked one-deep in closets most of the time, so I know exactly what's in every pot.

I've definitely gone deep into the Tetris method, finding combinations of boxes that form even groupings.  The assorted Bandai exclusive super pack boxes make great little spacers to complete a row. :lol: 

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I wish I was that organized.. all of mine are essentially grouped by.. "category?" I guess you can call it that.  They're scattered across a few rooms, and only stacked one-deep in closets most of the time, so I know exactly what's in every pot.

I've definitely gone deep into the Tetris method, finding combinations of boxes that form even groupings.  The assorted Bandai exclusive super pack boxes make great little spacers to complete a row. :lol: 

I love reading that other collectors do some of the same things that I do.  Makes me feel like I'm not alone in my freaky toy collecting.

I have recently started to catalogue all my items as well. 

I found a few of the toy boxes have developed these brown stains on their cardboard packaging, akin to paper foxing. Not that surprising as most of my items came used (Mandarake being a huge source), so we can never be sure of their storage conditions previously. Worried that it might spread to adjacent toy boxes in its plastic container or larger carton box storage, I started to wrap every single toy box in OPP plastic bags as an attempt to control any spread that may occur when the toy boxes are left sitting un-accessed for long periods of time.

While taking every item out for wrapping and putting them back, I took the opportunity to catalogue them using the code-on-container and spreadsheet system.

I keep pics of my collections on Toyark, this forum, and my portable hard drive.  Some containers have labels with just the type of toy like Macross 1/55, 1/60, HMR, etc.  The latest boxes that I've been filling up have descriptions of all contents inside like Yamato 1/60 VF-1J Max and Milia, VF-X, VE-1, VF-17S, etc.