I wonder what happened? He was only a couple years older than me.

I was around 13 when Power Rangers first aired, and it was mostly a novelty that reminded me of Voltron at the time. It was really the Green Ranger story that really sucked me in, and even though I was growing out of it (I was 17 when Turbo aired), I kept watching until they replaced Tommy on Turbo. I'd say the original Mighty Morphin' cast were all pretty memorable to me, but it's fair to say that JDF was probably the only reason I kept watching when they started rotating in a cast of interchangable and forgettable teenagers, and his departure marked the end of my interest in the brand (until the surprisingly good Boom! Comics book).

Rest in peace, Ranger.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

I wonder what happened? He was only a couple years older than me.

I was around 13 when Power Rangers first aired, and it was mostly a novelty that reminded me of Voltron at the time. It was really the Green Ranger story that really sucked me in, and even though I was growing out of it (I was 17 when Turbo aired), I kept watching until they replaced Tommy on Turbo. I'd say the original Mighty Morphin' cast were all pretty memorable to me, but it's fair to say that JDF was probably the only reason I kept watching when they started rotating in a cast of interchangable and forgettable teenagers, and his departure marked the end of my interest in the brand (until the surprisingly good Boom! Comics book).

Rest in peace, Ranger.

From what TMZ reports, it was suicide:

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/20/power-rangers-jason-david-frank-dead-dies-tommy-oliver-green-white/

22 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Well that's just a damn shame.  I won't pretend to know what he might have been going through, but I'll share that after my daughter was born I had a breakdown of sorts and wound up on medication for awhile.  Thankfully I was able to get the help I needed, and it's heartbreaking that Jason wasn't so fortunate.  When what you're feeling is both irrational and uncontrollable it can be so difficult to even believe that you can be helped.  Friends, if you or someone you know is suffering from depression maybe take a minute to reach out.  Sometimes just knowing that you're not actually alone can make all the difference.

That's a shame.  I worked with a girl who attended his Martial Arts school in California, she liked to tell people her Martial Arts instructor was the Green Ranger.  I didn't know what he was up to so I looked up a few videos he made the past few years and, sadly, it was as I feared.  I told her he came off as having a sort of dark or disturbed undercurrent to everything he did and if she knew someone in contact with him they needed to sit him down to talk.  She laughed me off.  🙁

I don't know about dark undercurrents in his videos, but his stepdaughter committed suicide last year, and his wife filed for divorce this past August. It seems clear he was hurting, but hindsight is 20/20. It's tragic that no one closer to him was able to get through to him.

Edited by mikeszekely

On 11/20/2022 at 5:21 PM, mikeszekely said:

I don't know about dark undercurrents in his videos, but his stepdaughter committed suicide last year, and his wife filed for divorce this past August. It seems clear he was hurting, but hindsight is 20/20. It's tragic that no one closer to him was able to get through to him.

This comment will be harsh (and quite critical of my fellow 'Muricans very specifically) but i need to get this off my chest:

Spoiler

BE Grateful that he chose to just take his own life. At the end of the day, it was his choice to use the Self Check-Out Line... because too many crazy, evil, irrational (Take you pick) Americans instead chose to take more than a few toons with them (The latest on my mind, all the poor souls in Colorado Springs from the LGBT+ Community). Like so many celebrities who have made that choice in the past decade alone, at least they died with some vague sense of honor, compared to others who chose infamy through domestic violence... If you are insulted by this line of thought, i apologize sincerely. As I said, harsh and still filled with sorrow (that the distinction has be made at all, when discussing suicide and prevention...)

It's funny: As a Veteran, whenever I make a call to the VA or respond to a call from the VA, the first thing I hear is questions about and the phone number to call, about Suicide Prevention...

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

This comment will be harsh (and quite critical of my fellow 'Muricans very specifically) but i need to get this off my chest:

Hide contents

BE Grateful that he chose to just take his own life. At the end of the day, it was his choice to use the Self Check-Out Line... because too many crazy, evil, irrational (Take you pick) Americans instead chose to take more than a few toons with them (The latest on my mind, all the poor souls in Colorado Springs from the LGBT+ Community). Like so many celebrities who have made that choice in the past decade alone, at least they died with some vague sense of honor, compared to others who chose infamy through domestic violence... If you are insulted by this line of thought, i apologize sincerely. As I said, harsh and still filled with sorrow (that the distinction has be made at all, when discussing suicide and prevention...)

It's funny: As a Veteran, whenever I make a call to the VA or respond to a call from the VA, the first thing I hear is questions about and the phone number to call, about Suicide Prevention...

Spoiler

I mean, I'm not going to deny that murder-suicide is a thing; heck a guy I graduated high school with murdered his girlfriend, whom I'd also gone to school with, before killing himself.  And sure, I could have told you he had a few screws loose, and I'd even wondered what she saw in him, but I'd never thought he'd physically hurt her or anyone else.

I think we can acknowledge that hate crimes, like what happened in Colorado, are heinous events that should not happen in a civilized society, and I hope the perp is punished to the fullest extent of the law.  But I think it's also worth mentioning that, per several sources, the suicide rate in the US is nearly double that of the homicide rate.  Based on CDC date, suicide is the 12th leading cause of death in the US.  Statistically, murder-suicides are less than two percent of all homicides and less than one percent of suicides.  So, with respect, I am not grateful that Jason David Frank only killed himself- he was statistically unlikely to harm anyone else, even ignoring the fact that, by most accounts, he was a really good person, and another violent tragedy elsewhere doesn't somehow negate this one.

Edited by mikeszekely