HMR Macross Zero VF-0D Shin

MKT

I for one am really excited over this. Have always wanted a transforming toy of this, never could afford the Arcadia 1/60 version. I Really like the HMR VF-0S, so I know that this will be a winner for me!

Twich

Ok look, white landing gears! Finally?!

Edit: I just checked back the VF-0S prototype pics, those had white landing gears too. Sadly that didn't make it to release.. :wacko:

Edited by MKT

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

The mold looks good, but they made the same mistake Arcadia did with their original VF-0D release regarding the color and later fixed with the premium finish edition. It's too dark and saturated.

What's funny in the end is that if Bandai decided to release this in its correct color versus Arcadia in which they showed the correct color first during the announcement and its promotional photos and released the saturated blue version instead before reverting it back for its Premium Finish release. Bandai should do the opposite to poke fun with Arcadia. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

Yup, my hopes for a cheap correct-colors 0D were quickly dashed.  How hard is it to just LEAVE IT HOW THE EARLY SAMPLES ARE and not make it a much deeper more intense (read: WRONG) blue?   

I think they're the same Bandai samples at the recent TN-2022.

Just the original posted pics have had the wrong white-balance to compensate the flashbulb effect.

It had the same wrong colors as the Arcadia non-PF all along...

I am looking forward to this toy from Bandai.  I am not able to really find or afford the Arcadia 1/60 VF-0's or SV-51's.  I have always loved the mechanics from Macross Zero and wish that I am that there is an affordable option.  This is that option.  While some may not like it, I am in love with my Bandai Hi Metal R VF-0S and the fact that I can get it for 12000-15000 yen or $169 from BBTS as opposed to the $400-$800 price tag for the premium finish version from Arcadia.  Do I think the Arcadia version is superior? Absolutely!  But I can more easily get my wife to approve a $170 toy than a $500 one.

Twich 

The blue now looks exactly like Arcadia's non-PF.. but I can't remember, didn't I read somewhere that the blue on the Arcadia release toy being approved by Kawamori himself? Maybe Bandai is just following for the same reasoning.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:59 AM, MKT said:

The blue now looks exactly like Arcadia's non-PF.. but I can't remember, didn't I read somewhere that the blue on the Arcadia release toy being approved by Kawamori himself? Maybe Bandai is just following for the same reasoning.

Here comes the color debate…

Honestly, I prefer this color over the washed out and salted blue of the Arcadia PF. I just hope we get an OA CF version next. Arcadia never delivered.

I really like the new design choices for the Hi Metal R VF-0S and it looks like this is carried over to the VF-0D Shin custom, and I hope that we are able to see the full line of VF-0's:

VF-0A, VF-0B, VF-0C, VF-0D, VF-0D Shin Custom and VF-0S, and I hope they are able to also make a solid SV-51.  As someone pointed out previously in this thread, the size and price make it so it is very enticing to "collect them all"

Twich

43 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

wow, i swear they are just copying arcadia's poor choice in colors?

i think there's starting to be little difference between arcadia and bandai. 

maybe bandai have yamato's ex ppl and t-rex bc it looks the same as the arcadia.

I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some sort of background business deal going on, actually.  This is like the fourth one now that looks like they just shrunk an Arcadia.  The similarities are kind of bizarre.

Edited by Chronocidal

I just find it somewhat amusing both 0Ds coincidentally have same blue, if Arcadia's was supposedly wrong.. But I'm not hung up about it myself, it's not different enough to my eyes to consider it bad.

Yeah here's hoping Bandai releases those variants Arcadia would not. :good:

They consulted Tenjin, he's the one who made the original textures for Zero.  That color is the factory fresh paint scheme prior to a years worth of sea salt exposure.  It's not "wrong" but it is screen inaccurate.

Edited by Mommar

38 minutes ago, Mommar said:

They consulted Tenjin, he's the one who made the original textures for Zero.  That color is the factory fresh paint scheme prior to a years worth of sea salt exposure.  It's not "wrong" but it is screen inaccurate.

Finally, the correct answer.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, Mommar said:

Yep. Surprised no one has complained about the 0S colors being "wrong" since it also looks different without all the texturing and weather effects from the anime CGI 

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Yep. Surprised no one has complained about the 0S colors being "wrong" since it also looks different without all the texturing and weather effects from the anime CGI 

Careful. In the pantheon of idealized aesthetics, this could be how the Macross toon versus toy versus line art civil wars begin. Other franchises are still embroiled in their own similar civil wars… *cough* debates… to this day. :p

I’m in the both look nice group, btw. If the HMR 0D has a weathered or clean look at retail, I’ll definitely pick it up either way. 

On 12/4/2022 at 4:25 PM, Mommar said:

Tenjin was involved in the production of Zero?  Never heard that before   

Wouldn't Hasegawa have consulted him too?  They give very different paint colors.