Bandai Spirits SDF-1 TV edition

Swoosh

At this point, I don't care if the cannons are a little too long or a little too short.

If this doesn't become vaporware, we're finally getting a detailed large scale transforming (I assume?) TV SDF-1.

That fact in itself seems like a miracle considering how no one wants to make any cap ships from Macross despite the plethora of cool designs.

19 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

Proportions are WAY off.

It's unequivocally more accurate than any other toy (or model kit) yet produced, but your concerns are clearly justified.  There's certainly room for improvement.

12 hours ago, Mommar said:

I have more of a problem with the shape/size of the upper hull section where the command deck is.

That's also a significant issue, as it affects the forward position of the command tower.

All that said, it's entirely academic at this point.  There are multiple SDF-1 prototypes that have been publicly displayed over the past decade, but have yet to make it to the production stage... 🙁

Although I'd buy this mega-sized TV SDF-1....I'm hoping it's just a proof of concept like the 1/35 VF-1J that also was shown along with the 1/1800 DYRL SDF-1 during the 2015 Tamashii event....the 1/35 morphed into the DX VF-1....so hoping that both SDF-1's eventually get released at 1/3000 scale at some point

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Although I'd buy this mega-sized TV SDF-1....I'm hoping it's just a proof of concept like the 1/35 VF-1J that also was shown along with the 1/1800 DYRL SDF-1 during the 2015 Tamashii event....the 1/35 morphed into the DX VF-1....so hoping that both SDF-1's eventually get released at 1/3000 scale at some point

Agreed.  Unless they stick to this size for the TV SDF-1 and release a DYRL to scale with it later.

The perfectionist in me is getting annoyed that certain parts are not exactly aligning.

Curious when the various pics were taken.  Because the main guns look flush in some pics but not in others.  And the legs look a smidge off from one another.

Yes, I know it’s only a prototype, but I’d be looking at that thing from all angles, fidgeting with it until everything lines up exact.

2 hours ago, Astralith said:

Anyone remember this!?

I'm curious what happened here 🤔

(also is it just me or are the proportions better? 😶)

post-3814-0-09346400-1481816781_thumb.jpg

That looks like a customized Hasegawa TV SDF-1. Note the incorrect forward section which the Hasegawa kit reused because they couldn't bother creating a totally new mold for the TV version kit. Though I can't remember if Hasegawa released a cruiser mode kit or not. :unknw:

Was moving in on Thursday to the new house and had very poor Wi-Fi until the tech came out and I’ve been missing all the action here. I love this so far, probably won’t have space or cash, but definitely admire it and really hope to see more of it. Too much attention has gone into the movie version, but I love the tv version that could punch a scale cruiser.the only physical move it made in the movie was to sit down awkwardly, but I like space ship punching action

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Do you think the thrusters might light up, or is that just some weird coloring?

image.png.2291e998d1ac5a0a873a9e49d2f6b32e.png

It kind of looks like it will. The dark shapes behind the clear pieces look like they could be LEDs. Even if they aren't lights, I hope they leave it easy to disassemble to allow for modding.

Is it me or do the side panels on the leg in that pic look removable? Like... say... for a city?

Edited by MacrossJunkie

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

It kind of looks like it will. The dark shapes behind the clear pieces look like they could be LEDs. Even if they aren't lights, I hope they leave it easy to disassemble to allow for modding.

Is it me or do the side panels on the leg in that pic look removable? Like... say... for a city?

Looks like they are removable. This picture also shows a lot of great surface detail.

Really hope this gets released.

• 9 months later...

Yeah, it's kind of noteworthy that none of the Macross items in that video thumbnail have seen more than a vague tease by Bandai.

They obviously have other priorities.. and it kind of feels like they will use any and all excuses to put off anything new for Macross.  This year has.. well, the gif above puts it very plainly.  They've really done almost nothing this past year.

Yeah, there's been a couple HMRs.. and they teased an exclusive DX VF-1S that no one is going to be able to purchase.  Everything else has been (more expensive) re-releases of things from years ago that they can put on the international market now. 

I can't really fault them for milking their existing products in a new market, but they just do not seem interested in putting any effort toward satisfying anyone waiting for all the stuff they tease every year.

Edited by Chronocidal