Bandai Spirits SDF-1 TV edition

Swoosh

Yes yes! The one SDF-1 that has been missing for so long since Takatoku days.

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

Awesome!

and that looks like it opens...

image.png.4098c89d8cd6f85f6271ba7d64b754d3.png

And hopefully they include a bunch of little destroids for that iconic maneuver which solidified SDF-1's legendary status.

Edited by MKT

57 minutes ago, jenius said:

So many Macross announcements... they can't all come to fruition, can they?

Everything's pointing to Bandai going all-in on Macross now that they can sell outside of Japan.

My big question is if we'll ever see any Japanese TV/DYRL merch officially here. The TV SDF-1 and Max/Kakizaki VF-1A HMRs are hinting Bandai is also focusing a bit on TV not just on DYRL which is more popular in Japan.

Linky to M3:  http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/macross/macross-cruiser-schematics.gif

The main guns are relatively short according to the line-art.

Yes, there’s pics and screenshots where they are longer, but there’s a ton of anime-magic going on.

Hell, they’re pretty inconsistent on a bunch of things with the Macross, such as the colors of the whole foot boosters.

Finally... aaaaand it's grey instead of white.  Because Bandai are compelled to screw an aspect up every single time.

59 minutes ago, Chunky001 said:

Main guns are about 30mm too short. Proportions are WAY off. Massive bummer considering this thing is going to be $$$$$$$$$.

Main Gun length is perfect for Cruiser mode.

🤦‍♂️ 

Line-art says otherwise.

Look, I personally prefer the longer-lengthed main guns.  

But line-art shows it’s supposed to be shorter.  NOT 80’s Takatoku/Matchbox short.  But short.

About the length of the main guns, IMO they're ok, I don't like it when they stick out too much in battroid mode...

I think it looks pretty close to the line art, but considering the transformation, there's probably some degree of compromise regarding some proportions.

You’re basing your measurements on a picture that’s not completely flush.

You rail about the main gun length, yet say nothing about the size issues with the Prometheus.

First you wanted it to be 3cm longer, now the length is down to 1.75cm longer.

Using your own numbers, I don’t think many of us would notice a difference between 35.6% versus 38.5%.  Those ratios for the guns are pretty similar.

Sure, you could say one is slightly longer than the other.  But I don’t think most of us would scream bloody hell murder over a 2.9% difference in length.  

Preference and opinion is fine.  But remember the old saying, “There’s lies, damn lies, and then there’s statistics.” 😉

Well we are talking about something based on a early 80's show with a lot of anime magic and animation inconsistency.  I wouldn't be surprised if none of the animated SDF-1 actually perfectly matched the "official" dimensions.  But I do prefer the guns to be 20mm longer. Then again, there's a few things that I wouldn't mind being 20mm longer.

57 minutes ago, Chunky001 said:

Ok, you win. It's perfectly line art accurate. Enjoy the rest of your day.

I think some of us didn't catch what you meant the first time.  You said "main guns" so I took it as the four big guns on the side.  Apparently you meant the main gun, as in the front part of the ship that splits apart to fire the main cannon.  It's one big gun.

1 hour ago, Chunky001 said:

Ok, you win. It's perfectly line art accurate. Enjoy the rest of your day.

No ono one wins, no one loses, we are talking about a toy, based on hand-drawn drawings of an imaginary ship, the proportions of which the author could never nor did he need to accurately transfer to animation, because 40 years ago it was neither easy nor important , and in fact they changed all the time.

My biggest concern is if the cruiser mode will lock solidly with no flopping bits.

I was joking about the misaligned main guns in one of the first pics.  But after modding the old Matchbox version, I really hope Bandai reinforces those parts, makes sure they lock together, and have zero issues with flopping or misaligning at the slightest breeze.

I look at their SOC Vehicle Voltron/Dairugger XV, and I remember being worried about all the various moving and connecting joints.  But they absolutely knocked that one out.  

. . . Hopefully, the same folks who did ol’ VV are are the ones designing this puppy too.

17 minutes ago, Mog said:

My biggest concern is if the cruiser mode will lock solidly with no flopping bits.

I was joking about the misaligned main guns in one of the first pics.  But after modding the old Matchbox version, I really hope Bandai reinforces those parts, makes sure they lock together, and have zero issues with flopping or misaligning at the slightest breeze.

I look at their SOC Vehicle Voltron/Dairugger XV, and I remember being worried about all the various moving and connecting joints.  But they absolutely knocked that one out.  

. . . Hopefully, the same folks who did ol’ VV are are the ones designing this puppy too.

There's a good chance they're going to borrow engineering ques from the Yamato (magnets, locking mechanisms, etc) so I doubt that will be an issue