Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross 7 Fire Valkyrie

Mommar

Ok.. uh.. I'm going to be entirely honest here, I see nothing different here from the Yamato.  That is the exact same planform, with the exact same proportions.

And it has the exact same problem.

824698064_ss(2022-11-17at11_17.02).jpg.6f0dfa3cf3ebb787cfe73aefe377f8ff.jpg

THIS.  THIS RIGHT HERE.  STOP DOING THIS.

The only modern VF-19 mold that has gotten this right was the old Hi Metal Fire Valk, and it had other compromises involved, but this shape does not look good.  It makes the nose too stubby, and honestly just gives me bad flashbacks to how far forward the shape went on the old Bandai 1/65 version.

Cut back the angle, narrow or taper the hips, just do SOMETHING to give it this shape instead.

1454518253_ss(2022-11-17at11_22.08).jpg.adb2d40ca731719a0a37bdbadc12b5b3.jpg

Because that is what the art has always shown, and it has been my biggest irritation with the Yamato from day one.

461246144_ss(2022-11-17at11_27.23).jpg.7dd69b0998f566dc5017f5e47ca6d093.jpg232184818_ss(2022-11-17at11_26.54).jpg.fe09742becddf7ae371e483a93009e62.jpg2086613136_ss(2022-11-17at11_26.30).jpg.c7c3801bc3d4abaf8262d857a9682649.jpg

Just do something.. anything to reduce that angle, and cut back on the bloated nose.  Narrowing the intakes to make them fit wouldn't be that difficult.

24 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Now this here has my interest. I wonder how this hour shaped part is going to look once in Battroid. 

It’s quite refreshing to see this new take.

image.png.a0ff9e56bbf608bf84cf73f9f6ea48b6.png

The hour shaped part? If I understand correctly, you're referring to the rear portion of the canopy going to the small wings. Is that correct? That section, the canopy, will be hidden in Battroid mode. Unless the back part shape will be different.

image.jpeg.38ad3c94e6aea185be92c4e1cb44677d.jpeg

Photo from @jenius' Anymoon website.

Also, I think what is making it look more contoured is the shadows from the canards, and the profile curve of the canopy.  I don't think the shape is any different from Yamato's.

I do expect the underside to be very different though, since while the top looks like a 1-for-1 Yamato copy, Bandai did some other things on the belly of their YF-19 design, and I believe this prototype has been around for a long time, since we saw a mock-up in displays going back before the Delta valks were even released, I think.  If anything, I expect them to improve on the intake design.

Would not surprise me in the slightest.. the design overlaps are seriously starting to hurt my brain.

In fact.. it's actually really irritating to think that the HMR is just going to be a repeat of how they released a shrunken Yamato VF-4.

Edited by Chronocidal

28 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Ok.. uh.. I'm going to be entirely honest here, I see nothing different here from the Yamato.  That is the exact same planform, with the exact same proportions.

And it has the exact same problem.

824698064_ss(2022-11-17at11_17.02).jpg.6f0dfa3cf3ebb787cfe73aefe377f8ff.jpg

THIS.  THIS RIGHT HERE.  STOP DOING THIS.

The only modern VF-19 mold that has gotten this right was the old Hi Metal Fire Valk, and it had other compromises involved, but this shape does not look good.  It makes the nose too stubby, and honestly just gives me bad flashbacks to how far forward the shape went on the old Bandai 1/65 version.

Cut back the angle, narrow or taper the hips, just do SOMETHING to give it this shape instead.

1454518253_ss(2022-11-17at11_22.08).jpg.adb2d40ca731719a0a37bdbadc12b5b3.jpg

Because that is what the art has always shown, and it has been my biggest irritation with the Yamato from day one.

461246144_ss(2022-11-17at11_27.23).jpg.7dd69b0998f566dc5017f5e47ca6d093.jpg232184818_ss(2022-11-17at11_26.54).jpg.fe09742becddf7ae371e483a93009e62.jpg2086613136_ss(2022-11-17at11_26.30).jpg.c7c3801bc3d4abaf8262d857a9682649.jpg

Just do something.. anything to reduce that angle, and cut back on the bloated nose.  Narrowing the intakes to make them fit wouldn't be that difficult.

This what I was referring to. 

The hourglass is now forward and between the canards. 

image.jpeg

Edited by nightmareB4macross

I think we might be referring to different hourglass shapes?  The thing I'm mainly talking about is that the angle of the LEX continues under the canards and sticks out ahead of them.  All of the screenshots I posted show that angle starting beneath them, so the angle of the LEX shouldn't appear until behind the canards when seen from above.

If you mean the area between the canards on the upper spine, I think that shape is an illusion caused by the canards having an airfoil profile, where Yamato's are almost entirely flat.

5 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

This what I was referring to. 

The hourglass is now forward and between the canards. 

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I think we might be referring to different hourglass shapes?  The thing I'm mainly talking about is that the angle of the LEX continues under the canards and sticks out ahead of them.  All of the screenshots I posted show that angle starting beneath them, so the angle of the LEX shouldn't appear until behind the canards when seen from above.

If you mean the area between the canards on the upper spine, I think that shape is an illusion caused by the canards having an airfoil profile, where Yamato's are almost entirely flat.

I don't have a clue what either of you are referring to.

8 hours ago, Lolicon said:

The VF-19 was one of Yamato's best toys and I'm curious to see how Bandai will improve upon it.

Of course with Bandai every time they make an improvement somewhere, they take a step backwards in another area...

Looking at the HMR ver of Fire valkyrie, it may look similar or better than the Yammy ver, but thats for battroid mode

Valkyrie wise, it looks more stubbier at the nose cone, lerx and canard sections than the yammy ver

Edited by recon

7 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm going to be honest, sometimes you guys pick out inconsistencies I literally cannot see.

Considering the real source material is (occasionally badly) hand-drawn animation from decades ago, I'm happy if it just looks decent.

Not nitpicking lineart just curious to Bandai’s decision to reposition this particular shape. In Battroid the back could be more slim and allow for thicker legs over what Yamato has done. But it could also mean that the legs would not have any gaps during fighter mode as previously done by Yamato.

It was just an observation that piqued my interest. So I shared it.

That’s all.

41 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

If the design is just an upscaled version of their new HMR, then I think the only thing we can count on being different between this one and the Yamato is that it will have bare-metal landing gear. :p 

Lol this for sure! 

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Bandai will just tweak the yf-19 advance and give it a new coat of paint

I would actually be okay with this, because I'd love a different take.

But I feel like I woke up in some bizarre mirror dimension today, because all of the details for both this one and the HMR advertisement look like they just copy-pasted the Yamato design.  I'd love to see a side-by-side in-person, because I'm having trouble finding any differences at all, aside from the fact that the 1/60 one appears seamless, the same way the VF-31 display models did for so long, before Bandai bothered to finish them.

The mold lines look identical, the panel lines all are in the same places, and all of the panel separations on the HMR one look like they just shrunk the Yamato version.  One of the weirdest parts?  I have a hard time believing that Bandai would ever make a VF-19 with feet that small.  They actually fit into the leg.  Nothing about this design looks like Bandai made it. :wacko: 

I think the only things I'm seeing slightly different are the shape of the canopy frame and the black ahead of it being more angular, and the nose being smooth instead of having the two little raised strakes on it?  It's just weird.  I would have expected it to look more like the Bandai YF-19 mold, because they teased a Fire Valk at their show a long time ago, around the time the VF-19 Advance was released.

Edited by Chronocidal

5 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Not nitpicking lineart just curious to Bandai’s decision to reposition this particular shape. In Battroid the back could be more slim and allow for thicker legs over what Yamato has done. But it could also mean that the legs would not have any gaps during fighter mode as previously done by Yamato.

It was just an observation that piqued my interest. So I shared it.

That’s all.

Like what I answered earlier, that section will be hidden in the Battroid's backplate. The thickness of the backplate will depends on how thick the canopy area is going to be. Bandai needs to make the canopy area thinner first in order for them to make the backplate thinner too. ;) 

On 11/18/2022 at 7:43 AM, Chronocidal said:

I would actually be okay with this, because I'd love a different take.

But I feel like I woke up in some bizarre mirror dimension today, because all of the details for both this one and the HMR advertisement look like they just copy-pasted the Yamato design.  I'd love to see a side-by-side in-person, because I'm having trouble finding any differences at all, aside from the fact that the 1/60 one appears seamless, the same way the VF-31 display models did for so long, before Bandai bothered to finish them.

The mold lines look identical, the panel lines all are in the same places, and all of the panel separations on the HMR one look like they just shrunk the Yamato version.  One of the weirdest parts?  I have a hard time believing that Bandai would ever make a VF-19 with feet that small.  They actually fit into the leg.  Nothing about this design looks like Bandai made it. :wacko: 

I think the only things I'm seeing slightly different are the shape of the canopy frame and the black ahead of it being more angular, and the nose being smooth instead of having the two little raised strakes on it?  It's just weird.  I would have expected it to look more like the Bandai YF-19 mold, because they teased a Fire Valk at their show a long time ago, around the time the VF-19 Advance was released.

Given how the design work is nowadays handed out to subcontractors like T-Rex it could very well be that all the VF-19 toys, be it Yamato or Bandai, were designed by the same people and thus are very similar.