R.I.P. Kevin Conroy (Batman: TAS)

pengbuzz

Kevin Conroy, the Definitive Voice of Batman, Has Died

Kevin Conroy—the actor who became Batman for generations of fans when he voiced the Dark Knight in the iconic Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League cartoons, as well as a plethora of video games, including the Batman Arkham franchise—has died. He was 66.

First reports of Conroy’s passing, after a brief battle with cancer, came from Diane Pershing, who played Poison Ivy opposite Conroy in the legendary Batman: The Animated Series, before being confirmed by Warner Bros. Animation.

(more)

https://gizmodo.com/kevin-conroy-dead-obituary-batman-dc-comics-rip-1849772917

This is sad. The ultimate Batman gone. :cray:

R.I.P. Kevin Conroy.

“I remember Mark and I were at the WB sound studio to do ADR work and we got to watch the opening credits,” Conroy told The Hollywood Reporter in 2017. “We hear the opening theme with the strings and the lush colors. It was incredibly dramatic. And I looked at Mark and said, ‘Did you have a clue this is what we were doing?’ He said, ‘No, I’m blown away!’ We both felt we were a part of something really special.”

Excerpt from
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/kevin-conroy-dead-batman-voice-actor-1235260222/

Edited by no3Ljm

People debate all the time about which actor did the best Batman, and they only seem to talk about the live-action ones. Real fans didn't need to debate, though. We knew the best Batman was animated.

Rest in peace, Kevin.

Kevin Conroy Nov 30, 1955- Nov 10, 2022

Very sad news indeed. Having grown up watching Batman: The Animated Series, arguably the most notable depiction of the Dark Knight in animation, and having Kevin's voice be the anchor that made him come alive on the screen in that and so many other Batman productions thereafter, his passing is no small loss to generations of fans for whom Kevin was the definitive voice of the Caped Crusader. Kevin in no small part made me a Batman fan, and I am enormously grateful for the gravitas, the humor, and the humanity he brought to the Dark Knight for so many decades. Condolences to his family and legions of fans. RIP 

We should be jealous, really. He's probably being the VA for all of those watermelons Gallegher's is smashing tonight at Heaven's IMPROV...

Condolences.

As stated above, Conroy was my Batman, period. We all have our live action favorites, but he was the definitive for me. There's not a single piece of Batman media I've read since TAS that I didn't read Bruce and Batman in his voice, just like Hamill for Joker, their roles were character defining, beyond timeless. There's a reason Rocksteady brought them both back for the excellent Arkham games, except Origins which was WB, they were those characters, bringing them back added clout and an immediate level of authenticity to those games. 

I'm forever grateful I got to chat with him and grab a pic at Comic-Con back in 2010, the dude was a legend, sweet as can be, and completely humble, he loved his fans and he loved his roll. A true legend died today, Batman died today. Never forget he did in fact get to play Bruce/Batman in live action, on CW, that voice made things just click, he was wonderful. 

On 11/11/2022 at 4:46 PM, mcfly50 said:

So sad. Does anyone know what kind of cancer it was?

From what I learned, it was intestinal cancer:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/arts/television/kevin-conroy-batman-dead.html

One real shame is that he could have played Bruce Wayne/ Batman IRL when he was young; I think he would have fit the role perfectly with his looks:

6555b6673af1ff731c962ea69faa1cda.jpg.828ba93bbf12d2dc4c10a5d55601ceee.jpg

Edited by pengbuzz

• azrael locked this topic