Enterprise-A LEaves Spacedock (fan video)

Thom

That's pretty damned amazing!  Thanks for sharing. :) 

(Part of me wants to joke about it not being the same without spending ten minutes flying in circles around the ship like in TMP, but I have to admit that acceleration at the end does make the objection to impulse in spacedock look a LOT more reasonable.)

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

I loved how they clearly Demonstrated how fast impulse power is, may  just a tad much as it was only 1/4 but still fantastic!

So... I did some digging, and the few official and semi-official remarks we've had about how fast impulse really is are unreasonably fast.

Full impulse is said to be 0.25C, or 74,948km/sec.  

One quarter impulse power would be 0.0625C or 18,737km/sec.

The closest I can find to official info for spacedock says it's 4.6km at maximum horizontal cross section.

If the above is all correct, they might have UNDERSOLD it.  The Enterprise would cover the ~2km separating it from the spacedock door in one ten-thousandth of a second at that speed.

No fricking wonder regulations say thrusters only!

There are several very talented CG artists who have to done either fan clips or edits of clips...

Quantum Designs AZ

(13) Mutara: The Chase - YouTube

(13) L-374 - YouTube

Delimited Productions

(13) #13 "Blind as a Bat" - Mutara Battle Finale (Star Trek Wrath of Khan CG REDUX) - YouTube

JTVFX

Then you got this oldy...

(13) Star Trek Continues E08 "Still Treads the Shadow" - YouTube

Not there are some flaws (some so so tiny to be effectly non-existent) and there is one clip i cannot remember who did but was so excellent with view management... all all these gets Chocholate Chip Cookies...

47 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So... I did some digging, and the few official and semi-official remarks we've had about how fast impulse really is are unreasonably fast.

Full impulse is said to be 0.25C, or 74,948km/sec.  

One quarter impulse power would be 0.0625C or 18,737km/sec.

The closest I can find to official info for spacedock says it's 4.6km at maximum horizontal cross section.

If the above is all correct, they might have UNDERSOLD it.  The Enterprise would cover the ~2km separating it from the spacedock door in one ten-thousandth of a second at that speed.

No fricking wonder regulations say thrusters only!

Fair point 😮

so with that said we have to give it some time to accelerate from stationary/station keeping to 1/4 impulse. Maybe that covers the discrepancy.

Chris

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That's pretty damned amazing!  Thanks for sharing. :) 

(Part of me wants to joke about it not being the same without spending ten minutes flying in circles around the ship like in TMP, but I have to admit that acceleration at the end does make the objection to impulse in spacedock look a LOT more reasonable.)

I liked this! lol I also agree about the end acceleration thing!

One thing they could have added: a guy in a workbee using a gigantic scrubber to clean the skidmarks off the spacedock floor from where the Enterprise peeled out!! :D

On a more serious note: someone should do one where they miscalculate and hit the inside of the wall just next to the dock door.

Edited by pengbuzz

8 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I liked this! lol I also agree about the end acceleration thing!

One thing they could have added: a guy in a workbee using a gigantic scrubber to clean the skidmarks off the spacedock floor from where the Enterprise peeled out!! :D

On a more serious note: someone should do one where they miscalculate and hit the inside of the wall just next to the dock door.

I think that would be like bug-splatter on a windshield!🤯

So I just remembered that TMP actually established this already…what impulse speed is like. When Enterprise leaves dry dock it is using thrusters. Once she is departed the dock and is leaving orbit, Scotty informs the bridge that impulse power is available and Kirk tells Sulu to engage impulse engines ahead warp factor .5. The engines light up and Kirk orders departure view and Earth is falling into the distance very quickly.

At 2:20

TWoK and TSfS started using that ahead 1/4 impulse power as an initial speed and it being really slow. TUC kind of changed it back were it should be. I love this redux. I too want to see more. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• azrael changed the title to Enterprise-A LEaves Spacedock (fan video)
3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Just think, even at 1/4 light speed you can make it to the nearest star in under 12 years.  So far the furthest we have sent something is to the edge of the solar system.

Actually, the first Voyager is past the heliosphere. Interstellar traveler baby!;)

5 hours ago, Mommar said:

The volumnetric fog in Blind as a Bat looked spectacular.  Didn't care for the phaser animation though.

Yeah, that might be the one lament i have about the several artists i posted links about: Some aspects are specular (and some aspects pedestrian). I'm sturggling to find the one video that includes changes in view angle during the pre-nebula battle (like the Reliant was about 45 degrees above the Ent when it appears on their view screen). Its things like that, that made the trek Otaku in me to scream in glee. The L-374 clip i loved save how the Constellation flees by rotating so mechanically and listless...