The VT-1 Ostrich Tent revisited

Jasonc

So, a number of years ago, P.W.Royce showed off a FDM printed tent that resembled the one shown in DYRL. Since that thread has been dead for sometime, the idea of getting one done never left my head. I always wanted to make one for the 1/60 verson. Fast forward to now, where I was able to take some time to design one up and get it printed. I wasn't sure how stable it'd be with using such small diameter cables for the design, so I made one with very thin ones, and one with thicker versions, and one top that is a bit more rounded than the other. Another I made with a base inside, but I don't think that one is necessary, as the prints came out great without it. In any case, it is now up on cults3d, and fairly cheap if you want to print one, or throw it up on Shapeways and have them print it.

2048426749_VT1OstrichTent.jpg.9acbc26a618227a86f30e242e5980658.jpg

vt1tent2IMG.jpg.8c6ce8da8b74f2eec8e0c52b90c86958.jpg

vt1tent3IMG.jpg.c6c60597cc2e13faf27541784630dbaf.jpg

vt1tent1IMG.jpg.ec2a6d8c065674fa7d54bea5f3f5d381.jpg

20 minutes ago, Gabe Q said:

Maybe just use thin fishing wire for the suspension cables?

The tent looks great! 

That is possible, but then I'd have to buy that. I was also thinking some thin steel wire, which is an option. I may make one with places to insert and wrap that sort of line. As a matter of fact, I'll probably upload that option onto the project where I uploaded it.

On 10/20/2022 at 12:31 AM, Chronocidal said:

I think I'd just use something like guitar string, if you have some laying around.  I know my dad used to use that for fine details on some older kits.

Now.. the wait begins for Bandai to make one in 1/48th so I can scale that up. ^_^ 

I did try this with a version I made for stringing it. Unfortunately, the 1/60 scale is just too small to fit even the thinnest high E string in the top, unless I make the center pole just really thick. In doing that though, it makes the design less aesthetically pleasing. I did order .15mm steel string and I can see if that works, but putting the holes on the top are not easy. I may try making the stringed version have 8 connectors instead of 10. That'll allow wider holes, and better integrity in the top for putting the steel string through. As of now though, it isn't working as well as I had hoped.

5 hours ago, Jasonc said:

I did try this with a version I made for stringing it. Unfortunately, the 1/60 scale is just too small to fit even the thinnest high E string in the top, unless I make the center pole just really thick. In doing that though, it makes the design less aesthetically pleasing. I did order .15mm steel string and I can see if that works, but putting the holes on the top are not easy. I may try making the stringed version have 8 connectors instead of 10. That'll allow wider holes, and better integrity in the top for putting the steel string through. As of now though, it isn't working as well as I had hoped.

Maybe strip some leftover wire might work

13 hours ago, Big s said:

Maybe strip some leftover wire might work

That is an option. I'm going to try some leftover electrical wire, since that is a lot easier to work with in bending and twisting.

Strictly just my personal opinion, but I don't believe that the tent has a center pole.  Reasons being that it would be more difficult to store, creates a potential leak point, and it really should not be needed as everything is suspended under the Valkyrie.  And the interior view.  Which makes me think that they may have just inverted a parachute to use as a tent.  :unknw:

Tent.jpg.6339ebf616e04396738d100016feac3c.jpg

Edited by DewPoint

That's some nice work Jasonc!

I went through several revisions with mine, trying to get the drape of the tent and the opening just right. I did try to integrally print the paracord or cables or whatever Hikaru used to string the thing up with. It didn't work very well and cleanup of the print would have been a nightmare. My final solution: thin strands of PLA, pulled by hand directly off the printer's nozzle. I cut the 8 best looking ones to length and glued them to the tent perimeter, and then to the central cable that was part of the tent part. The bundle of cables at the top was a little bit messy, but it's hidden behind the Valkyrie's head as it crouches over the tent anyway.

I made mine using tinkercad, so it was ultimately a pretty simplistic design, but if anyone wants more info on the tentl or the little LED "campfire" just ask!

Edited by P.W.Royce
Typo

On 10/29/2022 at 1:47 PM, P.W.Royce said:

That's some nice work Jasonc!

I went through several revisions with mine, trying to get the drape of the tent and the opening just right. I did try to integrally print the paracord or cables or whatever Hikaru used to string the thing up with. It didn't work very well and cleanup of the print would have been a nightmare. My final solution: thin strands of PLA, pulled by hand directly off the printer's nozzle. I cut the 8 best looking ones to length and glued them to the tent perimeter, and then to the central cable that was part of the tent part. The bundle of cables at the top was a little bit messy, but it's hidden behind the Valkyrie's head as it crouches over the tent anyway.

I made mine using tinkercad, so it was ultimately a pretty simplistic design, but if anyone wants more info on the tentl or the little LED "campfire" just ask!

Oh wow, that's some clever solutions to that. Because I am using a 4K resin, so I was able to get the cable part of the print to be very thin. Depending on how it's prepped and set up before curing, the cables can end up being pretty tight, and look like they're supposed to. I got several good prints with them, so I can't complain. I did send you a message about your print, so I hope you get a chance to take a look at it.