Fusou Katsumi Fanworks...

darkranger12

Found this fanwork and its very similar to the fanky ship designs book floating around.  On this page there's a few variations of the SDFM model including an experimental one to test out the New Macross Class. The gunboat one in the middle doesn't transform too.  I wonder how the experimental 'new macross' model would even transform.

312203518_5995209800524304_2326343230838833833_n.jpg

Edited by darkranger12
Questionable link

I don't have the link to the Fusou Katsumi Pixiv page but I did find these too.  Interesting variants of the Oberth Space destroyer including a Zentradi variant. The last ship has its command tower, which is a northhampton style tower, at the back of the ship rather at the bow.

312068298_5995208673857750_6551751169186609246_n.jpg

Edited by darkranger12
Needed text...

3 hours ago, darkranger12 said:

Found this fanwork and its very similar to the fanky ship designs book floating around.

... so, it's not "very similar to" so much as "from".

Fuso Katsumi is the author/illustrator of the four volume Macross doujinshi series Battleships of the Galaxy published by FANKY Planning, as well as similar books for other titles.

Recently, they've been posting art pages from their Macross doujinshi work on their artist page on Pixiv, which is where Danbooru's users got it.

Spoiler

Incidentally, you have to be a bit careful about linking to gallery sites like this one because neither they nor the ads on them are worksafe.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

4 hours ago, darkranger12 said:

Found this fanwork and its very similar to the fanky ship designs book floating around.  On this page there's a few variations of the SDFM model including an experimental one to test out the New Macross Class. The gunboat one in the middle doesn't transform too.  I wonder how the experimental 'new macross' model would even transform.

Middle one is here...

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29133-macross-books/?do=findComment&comment=1257899

gallery_12176_640_934115.jpg

The top view may be new...and it's also nice to see these in color...

More Fanky here if you want to revisit....

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29133-macross-books/?do=findComment&comment=1251185

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29133-macross-books/?do=findComment&comment=1257904

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29133-macross-books/?do=findComment&comment=1257904

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29133-macross-books/?do=findComment&comment=1299086

36 minutes ago, darkranger12 said:

I'm just wondering how the middle one would even transform if at all.  Like if it does would the bow split in half and be be on the storm attackers back...and where would the macross cannon go.

That's the problem with fanworks... sometimes, the stuff that looks super cool doesn't necessarily work when you start thinking about the details. 

There are a few like that in the doujinshi series, like a stealth cruiser with an underslung Macross Quarter-class Macross Cannon that wouldn't be able to open the way it appears to be mounted.

Of course, Fuso Katsumi also shows a lot of love for obscure stuff that's never gotten art like the air defense versions of the Northampton, that weird hybrid carrier only seen as a desktop model in Macross Plus, and the Daedalus II-class from the Macross II timeline.  A few of the original ones they designed are compelling enough that you have to wonder if something like that DOES exist in the setting like the Kaga-class, a scaled-up Guantanamo every bit as structurally simple but with twice the capacity.

1 hour ago, darkranger12 said:

I'm just wondering how the middle one would even transform if at all.  Like if it does would the bow split in half and be be on the storm attackers back...and where would the macross cannon go.

Are you referring to the "green" one?

If so, the "top" half looks just like a regular SDF-1, but with 2 Zentran ships used for the "legs"...so it should transform the same, but will just look like it has ginormous legs when in attacker mode....

Nice find! 

I found the Pixiv profile using google (search for their name, find Danbooru; Danbooru has a link to the Pixiv page.)

On 10/19/2022 at 7:20 PM, jvmacross said:

So these are new or unused images not found in the previously released Fanky doujins?

Mine are buried deep in the archives so can't really bring them out to confirm at the moment...

Well, regardless of whether the designs themselves were printed previously, the versions on Pixiv are in color, which is something that was reserved for just the back and front cover of the printed versions. The main negative is that the tech specs are not on the Pixiv versions, but I found those kind of suspect in the book anyway.

Also, one thing to keep very much in mind - the drawings are fan interpretations, and for some of them they're not that accurate. For example, the turret layout shown for the 2059 version of the Northampton is fictious (the actual thing has AA guns only on top around the bridge tower, as opposed to spread out all over the ship); and the numbers are weird.

That said, the fact that they're made using standardized components, on a grid with scaling aids, means I don't particularly need written tech specs to find out most of the things I want...

On 10/19/2022 at 3:04 PM, darkranger12 said:

The scale of this drawing is one square = 40 meters, for reference.

I'll be using Google Lens to translate these:

The first one is an "Initial Mass Production Type" Super Dimension Fortress, named "Takeshi Hayase", in other words, it's named for Misa's dad. Looks-wise, it's a mostly accurate TV-version SDF-1, except with the DYRL paint scheme and a pair of ARMD-IIs. Armament is almost entirely identical to the TV Macross, with a mix of big twins and tiny triple turrets. Interestingly, the bridge centered, rather than split like on the original Macross TV version.

1 x Macross Cannon
4 x TV-style rail guns
8 x Twin heavy beam turrets (possibly 10 if there are any on the front of the legs)
13 x small triple turrets (possibly 15 if there are any on the front of the legs)
1 medium triple launcher

The second one is a "Zentraedi Type" Super Dimension Fortress, named "Britai Kridanik". It looks like someone mated a pair of Zentraedi ships to the front end of a Macross, and stuck a *bunch* of Zentraedi heavy beam turrets on there - I count 25 of the things, plus 41 tiny little defensive emplacements. I'm sure there's a visual guide to these things in one of the books, like there was for modern weapons in the Battleships of the Galaxy Vol 2 book. I also count a length of 49 squares, so 1960 meters overall. 

1 x Macross Cannon
4 x TV-style heavy rail guns
25 x Zentraedi beam turrets
41 x small point defense turrets

The third one is a "Gunship Type" Super Dimension Fortress, named "Ikshima". Visually, it looks like a mashup of different Miyatake concept for the SDF-1 and SDF-2, I remember seeing the permanently open booms in Miyatake's Design Works book. It's really heavily armed, what with the fourteen large twin beam turrets, and 29 tiny point defense systems. Of note, it does not have any ARMDs docked to it. Overall length is 1720 meters, which is bigger than the original SDF-2 design. 

1 Macross Cannon (possibly heavier than normal type)
4 x SDF-2 style heavy rail guns
14 large heavy twin beam turrets
29 point defense launchers

The fourth one is a "Next Generation Experimental Type" Super Dimension Fortress. And wow, this is a weird one, with the center section of a Macross-class, but the front and back of a New Macross class mated to it, and a pair of Uraga-class carriers as arms. This thing is nuts! The drawing shows one of the problems with this artist's version of the New Macross class - the legs are even width as opposed to wider at the back. I make it 53 squares long, so 2120 meters, for the biggest Macross version to date...

1 x New Macross Cannon (conjecture, but I see the bayonette-like bow of the gunship)
4 x SDF-2 style heavy rail guns
10 x large heavy twin beam turrets
11 x point defense launchers

I'm looking through some of the other ship designs right now. It looks like he hasn't posted all of the Macross stuff yet - I know I've seen more variant Zentraedi ships, like a Quiltra Queleual converted to a colony ship, and some Thuverl Salan variants....

1 hour ago, SebastianP said:

Also, one thing to keep very much in mind - the drawings are fan interpretations, and for some of them they're not that accurate.

It's from a doujinshi... that kind of goes without saying.

1 hour ago, SebastianP said:

The first one is an "Initial Mass Production Type" Super Dimension Fortress, named "Takeshi Hayase", in other words, it's named for Misa's dad.

One of the things that makes this doujinshi series so interesting is the artist frequently "shows their work" by drawing their concepts for ships or classes that are described in official material but never actually shown.

The Takashi Hayase in that image is one of those obscure bits of official setting trivia.  The first mass-production Macross-class ship was the SDFN-01 General Takashi Hayase, one of the twelve mass-produced Macross-class ships and one of only three of them to be named thus far.  The other two are SDFN-04 General Bruno J. Global that appeared as a wreck that crashed on Gallia IV in Macross Frontier and the SDFN-08 General Vrlitwhai Kridanik that semi-permanently landed on Uroboros and was known as Vrlitwhai City in the Macross 30 game.  (There is a fan theory that the General Takashi Hayase was the ship that was "cast" as the SDF-1 Macross in the in-universe movie Do You Remember Love?.)

There are several other bits of fun trivia scattered around that doujinshi series like Zentradi ships converted for use as emigrant ships (which was what was done for short distance emigrant fleets) and the air defense and enhanced firepower versions of the Northampton-class.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

41 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's from a doujinshi... that kind of goes without saying.

One of the things that makes this doujinshi series so interesting is the artist frequently "shows their work" by drawing their concepts for ships or classes that are described in official material but never actually shown.

The Takashi Hayase in that image is one of those obscure bits of official setting trivia.  The first mass-production Macross-class ship was the SDFN-01 General Takashi Hayase, one of the twelve mass-produced Macross-class ships and one of only three of them to be named thus far.  The other two are SDFN-04 General Bruno J. Global that appeared as a wreck that crashed on Gallia IV in Macross Frontier and the SDFN-08 General Vrlitwhai Kridanik that semi-permanently landed on Uroboros and was known as Vrlitwhai City in the Macross 30 game.  (There is a fan theory that the General Takashi Hayase was the ship that was "cast" as the SDF-1 Macross in the in-universe movie Do You Remember Love?.)

There are several other bits of fun trivia scattered around that doujinshi series like Zentradi ships converted for use as emigrant ships (which was what was done for short distance emigrant fleets) and the air defense and enhanced firepower versions of the Northampton-class.

Yeah, I like the lore, it's really deep, once you actually get to translating it, and I love the fact that variants of these designs *exist* - I'm just not satisfied with the tech specs and drawings given for those variants, especially the Frontier-and-later ones, as I'm an obsessive turret counter. (And, I'm trying to make a Northampton in 3D, which hasn't proven to be the world's easiest chore...)

Also, I'm not entirely sold on some of the specific variants given - like, yeah, I get using the cruiser platform for stuff like Electronic Warfare or Air defense versions, and Zentraedi versions of standard ships, no matter how silly the cosmetic mods look, are official canon, by way of the Macross 5 fleet. No objections to any of those.

Sticking a Heavy Quantum Reaction Cannon on a cruiser though? Or shoulder-mounting a pair of them on a New Macross-class battle carrier? Or the madness that was the "Next Generation Experimental Type" Macross, or the Zentraedi-type Macross...

22 hours ago, SebastianP said:

Sticking a Heavy Quantum Reaction Cannon on a cruiser though? Or shoulder-mounting a pair of them on a New Macross-class battle carrier? Or the madness that was the "Next Generation Experimental Type" Macross, or the Zentraedi-type Macross...

Well, it is a doujinshi... so a lot of the content is going to be dictated by what the author felt was cool/interesting/consistent/etc.

Some of it is pretty "out there".  Other things are pretty sensible.  Some of it, like the stealth cruiser with the underslung Macross Cannon, are not technically unfeasible but sure are impractical looking.

On 10/24/2022 at 4:51 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, it is a doujinshi... so a lot of the content is going to be dictated by what the author felt was cool/interesting/consistent/etc.

Some of it is pretty "out there".  Other things are pretty sensible.  Some of it, like the stealth cruiser with the underslung Macross Cannon, are not technically unfeasible but sure are impractical looking.

Exactly, some of the ships are really weird, others are much more well thought out. I haven't checked his art for other franchises (he's done a bunch of stuff for Yamato, Legend of Galactic Heroes, and straight up WW2 ship variants), 

Anyway, it looks like the artist uploads one new colored comparison image on his Pixiv every week (the last four were uploaded on the 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd of October), with a new one due on Saturday. All of the last twelve pictures have been from Macross, before that he was posting Yamato stuff.

The Macross comparisons posted so far are:

• Ocean-going ship variants (Daedalus, Prometheus, two Prometheus variants, and Asuka II)
  • Oberth-class variants (Normal type, gunship type, gunship type with fold engine, Zentraedi type, carrier type, and Northampton test type)
  • ARMD variants (TV version, DYRK version; late model version with an Uraga island)
  • The SDF-1 with separate carriers and ARMDs to scale
  • SDF-2 variants (Original warship design, colony version, and another warship version)
  • SDF-1 variants (Mass production version, Zentraedi version, gunship version, and New Macross prototype version)
  • Northampton variants (2030 version, Zentraedi version, Zentraedi recon version, carrier version, 2060 version, recon version)
  • Stealth Cruiser variants (Base version, AA version, Macross Cannon version, Zentraedi version, electronic warfare version)
  • Space carrier variants (Uraga, Guantanamo, Saratoga II from VF-X2, Daedalus II from SDF Macross 2036, and a super ARMD Guantanamo/Uraga hybrid)
  • New Macross class variants (Battle 7, Battle Frontier, and a battleship version with shoulder mounted Quantum Reaction cannons)
  • Zentraedi Picket ship variants (Normal type, electronic warfare type, a UN Spacy version, and the Prometheus for scale)
  • Zentraedi Gun Destroyer variants (Normal type, cruise type, UN Spacy type, and 2060s UN Spacy type)

Presumably the next couple of uploads are also going to be Zentraedi ships, because I know the artist made multiple variants of the Quiltra Queleual for starters, and probably the other ships too. 

Edited by SebastianP

On 10/24/2022 at 7:29 PM, SebastianP said:

Exactly, some of the ships are really weird, others are much more well thought out. I haven't checked his art for other franchises (he's done a bunch of stuff for Yamato, Legend of Galactic Heroes, and straight up WW2 ship variants), 

Anyway, it looks like the artist uploads one new colored comparison image on his Pixiv every week (the last four were uploaded on the 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd of October), with a new one due on Saturday. All of the last twelve pictures have been from Macross, before that he was posting Yamato stuff.

The Macross comparisons posted so far are:

• Ocean-going ship variants (Daedalus, Prometheus, two Prometheus variants, and Asuka II)
  • Oberth-class variants (Normal type, gunship type, gunship type with fold engine, Zentraedi type, carrier type, and Northampton test type)
  • ARMD variants (TV version, DYRK version; late model version with an Uraga island)
  • The SDF-1 with separate carriers and ARMDs to scale
  • SDF-2 variants (Original warship design, colony version, and another warship version)
  • SDF-1 variants (Mass production version, Zentraedi version, gunship version, and New Macross prototype version)
  • Northampton variants (2030 version, Zentraedi version, Zentraedi recon version, carrier version, 2060 version, recon version)
  • Stealth Cruiser variants (Base version, AA version, Macross Cannon version, Zentraedi version, electronic warfare version)
  • Space carrier variants (Uraga, Guantanamo, Saratoga II from VF-X2, Daedalus II from SDF Macross 2036, and a super ARMD Guantanamo/Uraga hybrid)
  • New Macross class variants (Battle 7, Battle Frontier, and a battleship version with shoulder mounted Quantum Reaction cannons)
  • Zentraedi Picket ship variants (Normal type, electronic warfare type, a UN Spacy version, and the Prometheus for scale)
  • Zentraedi Gun Destroyer variants (Normal type, cruise type, UN Spacy type, and 2060s UN Spacy type)

Presumably the next couple of uploads are also going to be Zentraedi ships, because I know the artist made multiple variants of the Quiltra Queleual for starters, and probably the other ships too. 

Gun destroyer here.  Seeing the smaller bridge on the UN Spacy type seems semi odd to me but eh.....

102136473_p0_master1200.jpg

Edited by darkranger12

Yep.  This one is a Thurvel-Salan.  One is a normal one.  The other one is a variant with a gun destroyer a attached.  The next two are UN SPACY variants.  One a battleship one with four railgun placements and the other is a colony ship variant. Probably for the short distance emmigration fleets?

102319454_p0_master1200.jpg

It's not a gun destroyer attached, just the front half of one, for some reason. Probably an after-construction addition done after Space War 1, 

The artist's note says that the one with the gun was based on his original impressions of the ship from seeing it in the animation - apparently he thought it had the big gun, so he drew one with the big gun. Does not make an awful lot of sense to me (I'm sort of thinking that a more reasonable "add a big gun" mod to the Thuverl Salan design would be to continue the center trench aft of the "fold engine" bulge, so the ship splits in half like the Nupetiet Vergnitz, as that's what *I* thought it looked like until I double checked the line art.)

The backstory for the others is pretty solid - thousands of under-construction hulls available in then factory satellites, so the Unified Government took them and made something useful out of them by either finishing their construction with human-designed weapons, or turning them into colony ships. The artist notes that the engines seem to be concentrated to either side anyway, and the center section is surprisingly large (I looks like the artist straight up used the same glass section he'd drawn for Megaroad-01, just minus the T-shaped section and the side domes). 

44 minutes ago, SebastianP said:

It's not a gun destroyer attached, just the front half of one, for some reason. Probably an after-construction addition done after Space War 1, 

The artist's note says that the one with the gun was based on his original impressions of the ship from seeing it in the animation - apparently he thought it had the big gun, so he drew one with the big gun. Does not make an awful lot of sense to me (I'm sort of thinking that a more reasonable "add a big gun" mod to the Thuverl Salan design would be to continue the center trench aft of the "fold engine" bulge, so the ship splits in half like the Nupetiet Vergnitz, as that's what *I* thought it looked like until I double checked the line art.)

The backstory for the others is pretty solid - thousands of under-construction hulls available in then factory satellites, so the Unified Government took them and made something useful out of them by either finishing their construction with human-designed weapons, or turning them into colony ships. The artist notes that the engines seem to be concentrated to either side anyway, and the center section is surprisingly large (I looks like the artist straight up used the same glass section he'd drawn for Megaroad-01, just minus the T-shaped section and the side domes). 

I do like the fact that UN SPACY would repurpose the Thuvel Salan class for defensive and offensive purposes.

Edited by darkranger12

1 hour ago, darkranger12 said:

I do like the fact that UN SPACY would repurpose the Thuvel Salan class for defensive and offensive purposes.

If you check the book covers (also posted on the Pixiv way back when the books were released), there's at least one other refit zentraedi ship show that will be probably be on a later sheet: The colony version of the Quiltra Queleual LST, which has *two* sets of Megaroad-01 windows on top. I figure there's at least three more Macross sheets coming - still need the Quiltra Queleual, Queadol Magdomilla, and the Nupetiet Vergnitz sheets. 

Kind of wondering why the artist chose to put UN Spacy and UN logos on the conversions when the original ships (and the original UN spacy ships from the anime) don't have them, but I suppose it's so you can tell them apart at a glance so there are no mistakes made.

30 minutes ago, SebastianP said:

If you check the book covers (also posted on the Pixiv way back when the books were released), there's at least one other refit zentraedi ship show that will be probably be on a later sheet: The colony version of the Quiltra Queleual LST, which has *two* sets of Megaroad-01 windows on top. I figure there's at least three more Macross sheets coming - still need the Quiltra Queleual, Queadol Magdomilla, and the Nupetiet Vergnitz sheets.

Oh hey yeh.  I just noticed that too.  I suspect it has twice the capacity of the Megaroad.  Also I like the fact that its heavily armored than the Megaroad.  The glass windows around the city area always worried my about the megaroad. Same with the Island ships.

The new one is up, we got the Quiltra Queleual variants today. 

Basic green Zentraedi version from the TV show (with added turrets that weren't marked in the animated version); Unified Forces version with all the turrets replaced by their human equivalents and a bridge added on top; and the colony ship version. 

Two Zentraedi charts to go that I'm aware of - just the Queadol Magdomilla and the Nupetiet Vergnitz left. It will be very interesting to see if the artist has more to show us after that though, because anything beyond the Zentraedi ships will be entirely new to me. 

On 11/5/2022 at 3:53 PM, SebastianP said:

The new one is up, we got the Quiltra Queleual variants today. 

Basic green Zentraedi version from the TV show (with added turrets that weren't marked in the animated version); Unified Forces version with all the turrets replaced by their human equivalents and a bridge added on top; and the colony ship version. 

Two Zentraedi charts to go that I'm aware of - just the Queadol Magdomilla and the Nupetiet Vergnitz left. It will be very interesting to see if the artist has more to show us after that though, because anything beyond the Zentraedi ships will be entirely new to me. 

The small command bridge always throws me here.

102531810_p0_master1200.jpg

Edited by darkranger12

On 11/10/2022 at 3:19 AM, darkranger12 said:

The small command bridge always throws me here.

Keep in mind that that "small" command bridge is still two thirds of a square tall, and a square in this drawing is 66 meters. Even taking off the masts, you're looking at something like eight to ten decks tall for that bridge tower.

The Quiltra Queleual is a ginormous behemoth of a ship and adding human-scale features to it really shows that off. 

This week's image is up:

102725560_p0.jpg.9b4a3451e72380b7a8e327069fe8b5fe.jpg

Queadol Magdomilla looks ok, but the Nupetiet Vergnitz variants look way too skinny in the top view  to me, and the less said about the abomination that is the Queadol/Gun Destroyer hybrid the better IMO. (Huh, the artist is aware of the issue with the width of the ships. Doesn't say if it was deliberate, but he knows they're narrower). 

The captions for the two N-V versions say "Large Fleet Command Battleship" and "Large Gunboat" according to Google Lens.

Since both the Q-M and N-V versions were on this sheet, if there are any more Macross illustrations after this they'll be entirely new to me. Possibly an "everything on one chart" size comparion?