Literally ten years since the first one, and now they finally want to do a sequel? Don't get me wrong, I did like the first one and the character has certainly lurched along in the companion movies, but by now I'd rather have Supergirl. Or, since their shared universe is pretty much trash, just reboot the character again.

7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I enjoyed MoS, don't get the hate for it. That being said we already had two sequels, lol.

I think it was the suicidal dad thing that started it for me. It just seemed so u heroic and pointless to let him die. and then kinda rushed through the Lois love thing and everyone already knows that he’s Clark. it kinda felt a bit too emo for a Superman movie. It ended up feeling very soulless 

40 minutes ago, Big s said:

I think it was the suicidal dad thing that started it for me. It just seemed so u heroic and pointless to let him die.

They Uncle Ben'ed Pa Kent, and for bad reasons. The message was "with great power comes great responsibility to keep your head down and don't make waves".

And then the dog Pa Kent was holding escapes the tornado, demonstrating that Pa Kent had plenty of time to escape without the aid of superpowers anyways. The entire movie is full of crap like that.

13 minutes ago, JB0 said:

They Uncle Ben'ed Pa Kent, and for bad reasons. The message was "with great power comes great responsibility to keep your head down and don't make waves".

And then the dog Pa Kent was holding escapes the tornado, demonstrating that Pa Kent had plenty of time to escape without the aid of superpowers anyways. The entire movie is full of crap like that.

Yeah, it really was a steaming pile all around.

It was all for nothing anyway since all the people he hid his identity from knew who he was and now know he easily could’ve saved his father. It totally was a waste of good talent 

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

He wasn't holding the dog. It was scared to go out of a car. During the process, a vehicle was thrown close to them but crushes his leg. He was able to let the dog out of the car but he had a hard time getting out. By the time he was out, he couldn't really run given the condition of his leg. 

1 hour ago, crackpot said:

He wasn't holding the dog. It was scared to go out of a car. During the process, a vehicle was thrown close to them but crushes his leg. He was able to let the dog out of the car but he had a hard time getting out. By the time he was out, he couldn't really run given the condition of his leg. 

But Superman easily could have saved him. It’s still a terrible scene 

58 minutes ago, Big s said:

But Superman easily could have saved him. It’s still a terrible scene 

He could but the point was not to reveal he's not a normal human being. Doing so would risked what his parents have been doing since finding Clark. 

They could have explored Jonathan's death a different way. 

3 hours ago, Bolt said:

One would hope some lessons have been learned, concerning dc movie making.

The reviews of Black Adam would suggest they haven't been.

I have a feeling Cavill is the one hope this film has at being a success. Maybe he takes on an executive producer role and can dictate some of the creative decision-making.

4 hours ago, crackpot said:

He could but the point was not to reveal he's not a normal human being. Doing so would risked what his parents have been doing since finding Clark. 

They could have explored Jonathan's death a different way. 

That might have been the point, but there’s no way it works for Superman. It was also highly pointless since all those people found out anyway.  It was a dumb scene that ruined the character. 

The original death of Jonathon Kent was better, in that it was simply his time to die. It was a heart attack, and there was nothing Clark could do about it...

Spoiler

...except he was able to turn back time at the end of the movie, showing that he could have saved his father and gotten him to a hospital, but oh well!

...whereas this one, he chose to follow his father's lead and did nothing. Keep in mind, this was a younger Clark Kent, still learning his way through what he was to be. I choose to view it as he was not mentally mature enough to go against what his father wanted and just rescue him anyway, consequences be damned. That then starts his journey, both in going out to see the world and the journey to becoming Superman.

6 hours ago, Thom said:

...whereas this one, he chose to follow his father's lead and did nothing. Keep in mind, this was a younger Clark Kent, still learning his way through what he was to be. I choose to view it as he was not mentally mature enough to go against what his father wanted and just rescue him anyway, consequences be damned. That then starts his journey, both in going out to see the world and the journey to becoming Superman.

I don’t think anyone with an easy ability to save a loved one would let them die that way. No matter how much convincing the father had, there’s absolutely no way a super powered kid especially Superman would let that happen. Like I said earlier, it didn’t even matter in the end. They should have done a very different scene altogether and it really ruins the character. The rest of the movie from that point forward wasn’t much better. This movie and pretty much everything following involving Superman were pretty bad with no fault to the actor. I think he would’ve been a great Superman.

The DC movie verse started out a mess, had a few good moments and still seems to be a mess. They should’ve just started fresh with a real good Superman movie even if it meant recasting 

4 minutes ago, Big s said:

They should have done a very different scene altogether and it really ruins the character. The rest of the movie from that point forward wasn’t much better.

The other scene that stuck in my head was the school bus in the lake. The writers want us to think the kids were trapped in the bus, but it is VERY hard to be trapped in a school bus. The children are banging on windows that have clearly labelled emergency exit levers on them(and open inward), the water forces the front door open, Clark leaves unnoticed through the rear emergency exit, and there's trapdoor exits on the roof. NOBODY was trying to leave the bus or organize an evacuation of it.

If anyone died because they couldn't get out of that bus, it is only because they were too stupid to live.

Dumbest thing I've seen in a movie since the live-action GI Joe had a collapsing base with ice chunks falling down through the water. ICE FLOATS.

This theme is repeated later in Metropolis when people are running from the... was it a mining laser? ... thing. They ran thirty feet from an expanding threat, turned around to take pictures and stream video, then turned and ran again as it got closer. Like everyone just forgot it was coming for them until it got too close.

All quibbles aside the problem with Man of Steel is that character was as un-Superman like as you could get.  He is supposed to be a big overgrown boy scout (to misquote Lex Luthor from Superman).  The guy in Man of Steel was Mr Grumpy.  It seems he was supposed to grow into the Superman we all know in the second movie but DC jumped the gun on shoveling all the characters together.  Big mistake.

3 hours ago, Thom said:

They wanted him to be 'gritty' and 'hard-bitten,' which is just fundamentally against the character itself.

I wouldn’t have minded a more serious movie, but they made it in a dumb way. It’s like the problem that seems to be going around with bad writing, and bad writing unfortunately is more evident and stands out on a serious movie or show than something lighthearted.

I do however feel that if they do ever reboot Superman, that it should be more lighthearted and positive rather than dark and gritty. Superman deserves a film filled with charm and splendor. Save the grit for Batman and give the humor to Shazam 

• azrael locked this topic