1/6 MOSPEADA Rider Project Proposal

On 1/20/2023 at 5:27 AM, electric indigo said:

Thank you for sharing the making of this masterpiece.

You're welcome. Admittedly, you all got mostly the highlight reel, but what wasn't captured for the sake of time was the seemingly unending and tedious mold preparation, at least two mold "malfunctions", issues with demolding the flexible parts, and the almost 20 lbs of silicone mold material I had to expend to get everything to cast nicely. Truly a challenging project with many curve balls.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

Did some basic skin texturing. I really wasn't expecting this detailed of a sculpt. It was a very nice surprise. @captain americais this a recast or did you sculpt it? If you sculpted it my list of wish items from you is going to grow quite a bit.

Face.jpg.c54f2450fafb85528aefbae48b076c7f.jpg

That's a modified casting of the head of the guy who plays Spider-Man in the newest Marvel movies, his name escapes me; It's a digital scan of his face. Your "basic skin texturing" looks excellent, by the way!

Edited by captain america

Given all you had to tweak, massage, and outright re-engineer to bring this old design to 3D reality, IF you were to choose to make a Battloid-mode Cyclone add-on kit, would it be easier to make a box that bolted onto the back or would it just be easier to start from scratch again?

Given anime magic, I'm inclined to think the armour design changes drastically when combined with the mecha.

2 hours ago, captain america said:

That's a modified casting of the head of the guy who plays Spider-Man in the newest Marvel movies, his name escapes me; It's a digital scan of his face. Your "basic skin texturing" looks excellent, by the way!

I knew I recognized it! It was bugging me trying to figure it out. I thought it looked like that guy from Uncharted. Guess I was wrong though 😉

Edited by Boobytrap
words

3 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Given all you had to tweak, massage, and outright re-engineer to bring this old design to 3D reality, IF you were to choose to make a Battloid-mode Cyclone add-on kit, would it be easier to make a box that bolted onto the back or would it just be easier to start from scratch again?

Given anime magic, I'm inclined to think the armour design changes drastically when combined with the mecha.

I don't understand your qustion: what's a box that bolts onto the back, and how does that differ from every other project I undertake?

Sentinel made a fully variable MOSPEADA unit, so from a geometry perpective, it's feasible. That said, the armor and the boots on the figure already tax the figure's joints to the max, so any backpack would only function with a stand to support the weight. Second, anything of that nature would be significantly more complicated to make than the armor suit, and would be even more work than the 1/32 Legioss, so extremely costly. Considering how many people initially expressed interest in the 1/6 rider then flaked-out, the odds I'll try to crowdfund that project are zero. The only hope would be for someone to bankroll it.

4 minutes ago, Boobytrap said:

Aww man that sucks. So I assume the odds of a companion piece like a bike or female rider are also zero?

I don't think enough people would be willing to pay >$800 CAD for the bike, even if it could be built in either mode. A non-variable motorcycle wouldn't be far off from that price either: at that scale, the component breakdown needed to get the detail would be so similar to a dual-mode kit that you might as well do it right. I have slightly more hope for the female rider, if only because a few parts world cross-over and the price would be less prohibitive.

Either way, a project has to be financially viable. 

14 minutes ago, captain america said:

Either way, a project has to be financially viable. 

I totally understand. I figured the bike, even if it was solid, would be a long shot anyway. Having this in hand now it's just too good not to have something to accompany it. I'll keep my hopes up that a female rider may come to light some day. In the meantime maybe I'll try to scratch build some of the cycle cargo containers , supplies, and weapons. I've got your 1/12 set that I can use for inspiration :).

4 hours ago, captain america said:

That said, the armor and the boots on the figure already tax the figure's joints to the max, so any backpack would only function with a stand to support the weight.

This is pretty much what I was getting at, even through my sleep-deprived ramblings.  No matter what you do, that'd be a huge honkin' chunk of resin hanging off the back.

Second, anything of that nature would be significantly more complicated to make than the armor suit, and would be even more work than the 1/32 Legioss, so extremely costly. Considering how many people initially expressed interest in the 1/6 rider then flaked-out, the odds I'll try to crowdfund that project are zero. The only hope would be for someone to bankroll it.

Oh, that was never my intent!  I know this is a niche market, and a niche product inside of a niche market on top of that.  But one day I shall win the lottery... ^_^

7 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

I knew I recognized it! It was bugging me trying to figure it out. I thought it looked like that guy from Uncharted. Guess I was wrong though 😉

That guy from uncharted does look really similar to the guy from the newest Spider Man movies for some reason. I just can’t figure out why. Maybe they’re related or something. Oddly the guy from Uncharted is dating the same girl  that Peter Parker was dating in the last Spider Man movies 

2 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

This is pretty much what I was getting at, even through my sleep-deprived ramblings.  No matter what you do, that'd be a huge honkin' chunk of resin hanging off the back.

Out of curiosity. Since your inquiry at first is a fixed Ride-Armor setup, what if instead of resin, you scratch built it using pla-plates?

I remember seeing somewhere photos of someone doing a custom scratch built Ride-Armor on a 1/6th figure. Can't seem to find it again over Google. Wasn't sure too if he managed to finish the project.

I have decided to go with a heavily weathered and worn scheme with this figure. End of a long road sort of vibe. To that end I have started on the base metal that will be seen through all of the paint chipping. I've been binging the RoboCop TV series on Amazon so was inspired to try my hand at a simplified version of his armor scheme (only purple and blue; no green and pink). I didn't want to go all out since it will barely be seen in the end.

The bicep and thigh armor are done, As a comparison, the chest is the bare metal color before the filter colors were added. I'm not super happy with the brand I used for the purple paint. The color is fine but it was pretty much impossible to get it to blend smoothly.  If I wasn't going to be covering it all up I would have redone it with my normal brand.

Armor.jpg.cc7ac9f262675a8a0fd9c6e8d774802f.jpg

Edited by Boobytrap
words

14 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

Finally got the body suit in. I'm still waiting on some upgrade parts so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long as I have been having a lot of fun on this project.

Rider3.jpg.475f47befb65e0c7de09cd42fad46d79.jpg

Thats a very interesting body suit, it looks unusually shiny. Might you have a link to where you got it from? By the way, your progress on the figure is looking excellent!

13 minutes ago, captain america said:

Thats a very interesting body suit, it looks unusually shiny. Might you have a link to where you got it from? By the way, your progress on the figure is looking excellent!

Thanks!

Yeah I figured a ride/space armor should have more of a leather/rubber rather than fabric suit. This one I am pretty sure is vinyl with fabric backing. It fits perfectly on the base body (if I didn't know better I would think it was made for it) and I am pleasantly surprised by how thin and flexible it is. I thought it would hinder articulation and was willing to make the sacrifice for the appearance but no sacrifice needed. I have no idea what the longevity of the material will be but I doubt replacements will be hard to come by.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294917757024 

• 3 months later...
On 2/27/2023 at 4:09 PM, Boobytrap said:

Thanks!

Yeah I figured a ride/space armor should have more of a leather/rubber rather than fabric suit. This one I am pretty sure is vinyl with fabric backing. It fits perfectly on the base body (if I didn't know better I would think it was made for it) and I am pleasantly surprised by how thin and flexible it is. I thought it would hinder articulation and was willing to make the sacrifice for the appearance but no sacrifice needed. I have no idea what the longevity of the material will be but I doubt replacements will be hard to come by.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294917757024 

Any progress on your build?