2 hours ago, Mommar said:

Mario never was, no.

He kept getting barrels thrown at him by an ape when I was a kid and then there was the tv show, there was also the live action movie. I didn’t play many of the non cart games past the early to mid nineties and he kinda came off pretty doofy most of the time.

9 hours ago, Mommar said:

Why is Mario being treated like a Comical Buffoon though?  Luigi is already that character.

7 hours ago, Mommar said:

Mario never was, no.

Eh... he's had his turn at it a fair few times.  It mainly happens in the RPGs like the Paper Mario series and Mario & Luigi series.

It was at its most blatant in Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door thanks to the sheer quantity of irreverent comedy in that game.

Luigi just gets hit with it a lot harder since the Paper Mario games often made him out to be the hero of another, much lamer, story and then he got a solo series devoted to his ghost phobia (Luigi's Mansion).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from the movie.  

Very tongue-in-cheek with obvious references to the old games. . . and boatloads of Easter eggs to the NES days.

It’s definitely silly and fun.

And poor Bowser, taken down by Shakespeare’s green-eyed monster.

The Academy better nominate “Peaches” for Best Original Song!

Took my family to see it last Saturday. $58 later... Though I thought the movie was fun our children (8 & 5) who are familiar with Super Mario Bros. we're kinda bored during the film and probably because its not from their generation. Also us not having a Nintendo probably didn't help too, lol. They're more excited for a MINECRAFT movie.  

Yeah, there were a bunch of “blink and you’ll miss them gags” sprinkled throughout for those of us that grew up during the 8-bit Nintendo days.

. . . Though, Mario’s still a jerk-face for doing a two-on-one battle when the odds were already in his favor. :p

My kids are 7 and 10, neither play Mario but have played or at least watched it at some point. They thoroughly enjoyed it which is what matters since I went for them. I thought it was meh... I'm used to these family movies hitting me in the feels but this movie is aimed squarely at kids and doesn't do anything for adults beyond those quick nostalgia bombs. I will be doing awful renditions of "peaches" for some time.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...