Bandai HG 1/100 YF-29

lechuck

2 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Making this 1/100 just seems like spite.

Sure Bandai's 1/72 line of Frontier and Delta stuff wasn't perfect, but it wasn't that bad either.

This makes it look like they're just being super cheap about investing in large molds.

I think they’re hoping for a broader customer base. The 1/72 kits were aimed at more complex builders and the dx toys were for the collectors that didn’t mind spending a lot. These are aimed at the simple builder or younger kids that probably would easily break a transforming kit.

I appreciate the Plus products, as I really want a YF-21, but once that is done I want a VF-9 or a VF-3000 or a variable Glaug or something new.
Someone get a Macross M3 license already. The game was horrible, but the designs were epic 😛

image.png.587836a9e3e5dd6a728113a3d53a2c79.png

A YF-21 would have been a no brainer for my wallet not to mention that despite its non-popularity, a parts forming YF-21 would solve a lot of those Anime Magic transformation issues. This 29 & the YF-19 are a solid pass for me. 

Also @Shawn,  I'm all on board with that M3 license! 

17 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Suspect there is a big Frontier push coming in early 2023 for the MWW market, so they are getting things aligned

Looking forward to see if bandai would do armor parts as well for the 25 as part of their HG line..heheh! instabuy that one...

With delta series more or less done(?) having frontier picking up slack in macross merch would be a natural fit (popularity and bandai maybe being conservative in the current/future economic climate). Also until the next(?) macross series...wonder if kawamori-san would still be interested in continuing or passing the baton..

And if bandai would announce HMR for frontier.... 

so many questions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

image.jpeg

They keep teasing it, but it’s not the one I want. I don’t know if they’re going to do the original stuff, but if not I’d like them to do the rest of the Macross Plus mecha. The VF-11, YF-21 and the armor from the intro would make me super happy.

11 minutes ago, Big s said:

They keep teasing it, but it’s not the one I want. I don’t know if they’re going to do the original stuff, but if not I’d like them to do the rest of the Macross Plus mecha. The VF-11, YF-21 and the armor from the intro would make me super happy.

Same here. I'm just sharing it. What I want is DX VF-31 Super Parts for Arad and Chuck and DX Elvis Draken. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The YF-29 looks to have more common parts between each other, which should make partsformation and color coordination between modes easier. You can also readily see the pegs where an eventual Super Parts add-on would be attached to. 

Edited by SayuriUliana

9 minutes ago, SayuriUliana said:

What's the issue with it? It's labelled "HG". They're not trying to fool you with what it is. 

No idea what "HG" is all about....but the HG YF-19 was also "1/100"....to me, I wanted it as a stand in until a potential future HMR YF-19 was released...unfortunately, it just did not look right to me next to other 1/100 Bandai Macross items...not even close....the YF-29 doesn't look as "stubby" so maybe this one may look better next to HMR Macross VF's...

11 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

No idea what "HG" is all about....but the HG YF-19 was also "1/100"....to me, I wanted it as a stand in until a potential future HMR YF-19 was released...unfortunately, it just did not look right to me next to other 1/100 Bandai Macross items...not even close....the YF-29 doesn't look as "stubby" so maybe this one may look better next to HMR Macross VF's...

The HG YF-19 primarily tries to be anime accurate within the engineering limitations of being a 1/100 snap-kit plamo that's a fraction of the price of a HMR. It's kind of clear that the HG YF-19 actually prioritized Battroid mode, and that one is quite accurate to the lineart. Unfortunately the YF-19 was one of those old designs that needed a bit of anime-magic to look good in all three forms, unlike the YF-29. 

8 minutes ago, jenius said:

Does HG mean "High Grade"?

Yes it does. 

Edited by SayuriUliana

6 minutes ago, SayuriUliana said:

The HG YF-19 primarily tries to be anime accurate within the engineering limitations of being a 1/100 snap-kit plamo that's a fraction of the price of a HMR. It's kind of clear that the HG YF-19 actually prioritized Battroid mode, and that one is quite accurate to the lineart. 

Unfortunately, as a "parts-former" there really is no reason to have not been "anime accurate" in every mode...the Battroid mode to me is the most dissapointing...

I'll see how the YF-29 scales with other Bandai "1/100" VF's once it's released

Edited by jvmacross

45 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I still don't understand why they never made a 1/72 transforming version.  The thing uses 75% of the VF-25 parts in the first place. :rolleyes: 

From a plamo parts perspective, it'll be more like 30% or so commonality with the VF-25, considering how many new parts the YF-29 has like a different head, shoulders, arms, legs to accommodate the new missile launchers, wings, spine, gunpod, etc. 

Well my hats off to Bandai for going big with their next release. They certainly were taking notes on the NHK Macross survey 4 years ago. The YF-19 was overall hotness and the YF-29 was number 2..

It definitely looks good. And i like the gimmicks and dagger.  These are great for those that don't want to spend much and want something that looks good. But I still prefer the HMR line, at this approximate scale. Probably won't get that now. And ya, where's our 1/72 variable, Bandai? 

2 hours ago, SayuriUliana said:

From a plamo parts perspective, it'll be more like 30% or so commonality with the VF-25, considering how many new parts the YF-29 has like a different head, shoulders, arms, legs to accommodate the new missile launchers, wings, spine, gunpod, etc. 

Maybe so, but I'd be interested to see how much you'd really have to swap out of the total contents of the kit, just in terms of plastic volume.

Reason I think there would be so much commonality is mainly because one of the things I will never forget about building the VF-25 kits is just how much of those kits was piles of ABS internal structure to snap the exteriors onto.  There would be a lot of changes to the external parts, and a whole bunch of new sections like the gun turret and extra engines, but the skeleton and transformation of the YF-29 is pretty much identical.