[kinda NSFW] Minmay painting [NFS]

Palantirion

11 hours ago, Palantirion said:

What are the rules for posting what would technically be a NSFW painting? In this case it's roughly on par the shower scene in Macross - naked, not sexual.

While I'm not a mod, I would recommend at least putting a couple of spoiler tags on it with some advance warning, like "WARNING: NSFW. VIEWER'S DISCRETION ADVISED".

As an attempt to reduce the introduction of this painting to the bare essentials I will say that it started as a blind amalgam of three things I love: Vintage pin ups, kimonos, and anime. It is acrylic on canvas and 24"x36". It is the first of 4 pieces, representing summer. I thought that Minmay has an appropriate personality for that season so I chose her as the subject. I am currently working on Winter, represented by Lucy from Elfen Lied, and plan to use Fujiko for fall and Chidori from FMP for spring.

But back to Minmay...I tried to adhere to her representational style from the original series, but with my own original pose. The kimono patterns took the most time, mainly because of the research involved to keep them respectfully plausible. The background uses geometric patterns for fireworks, streams, mountains and waves. Her kimono is painted as if hung behind her and we are seeing it through her body. The kamon is the SDF logo, and there are various plants and butterflies from early summer. Her kanzashi is pampas grass and morning glory. Her obi is embroidered with roses. And of course all the colors are season-specific.

I would encourage a wide range of discussion, as I am quite interested in all your respective feedback. Including criticism. 

Please know two things: 1) This picture is not a great photograph of the piece, and I will update it if I can take a better one. 2) There are metallic colors used for all the linework, and the obi, obi jime and obi-age. Their effect doesn't really show up in a still shot,

Summer (Minmay)_72.jpg

I think you captured a lot of the positive energy that drew people to Minmay and the face looks to me like it could be straight from a DYRL cel. The layering of the summer spirit is well done in a thougthful way (and obviously very well researched). The image (to me) invokes the scene where Minmay and Hikaru are hopping around and changing outfits... almost like she hopped on the 'summer/spring nymph' costume and we're seeing her as she's enveloped in it. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2022 at 11:33 PM, jenius said:

I think you captured a lot of the positive energy that drew people to Minmay and the face looks to me like it could be straight from a DYRL cel. The layering of the summer spirit is well done in a thougthful way (and obviously very well researched). The image (to me) invokes the scene where Minmay and Hikaru are hopping around and changing outfits... almost like she hopped on the 'summer/spring nymph' costume and we're seeing her as she's enveloped in it. 

- Thanks! Your take on it is pretty much as I intended it to feel.