Best website/place to buy Macross model kits?

DonutMK2

The best..? Mandrake in Japan , IMO. Or Amazon Japan. But I often use HLJ as they're quite reliable and have warehouse storage options. Whichever way you go. You must contend with overseas  shipping ! 
As a side note, now that distribution rights have shifted, we should be seeing more non DYRL models available domestically (I'm talking US of A! ). But , I imagine, the cost will be marked up significantly. And we may be back to overseas purchases, based on the fluctuations in yen and shipping.

HLJ mostly, though that was before the 'Dark Times' when shipping was cheaper to the US. 😉 I did buy a few from WAHWAH models. They don't have a lot in stock right now, but there is some.

https://www.wahwahmodelshop.com/product-category/hasegawa-model/macross/

Another is Hobby Search.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/693/0/1

Then, of course, Amazon or good 'ol ebay.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Instead of starting a new topic, I thought I’d ask here: I’m heading to Japan this summer to visit family and would love to check out some shops that may have a decent stock of recent kits (Wave Destroids) and maybe some older ones, especially resin garage kits. I’m hoping I can find a Wave Destroid Defender, since I seem to have missed out on the recent release on the major websites.

I know Tokyo well - spent a lot of summers there as a kid and have been back a couple times as an adult. I’ve been to a couple shops in Akihabara - Yodobashi usually has a good collection of recent stuff; I think Yellow Submarine is closed now(?); and TamTam was a great store last time I was there in 2019. I’ve been to Mandrake in Shibuya but was mostly looking for books that one time.

I also expect to visit Kanazawa, Himeiji, and maybe Kyoto this time. Any tips on stores to check out would be much appreciated! Thanks!

On 5/4/2023 at 2:37 PM, VF-1A Grunt said:

Instead of starting a new topic, I thought I’d ask here: I’m heading to Japan this summer to visit family and would love to check out some shops that may have a decent stock of recent kits (Wave Destroids) and maybe some older ones, especially resin garage kits. I’m hoping I can find a Wave Destroid Defender, since I seem to have missed out on the recent release on the major websites.

I know Tokyo well - spent a lot of summers there as a kid and have been back a couple times as an adult. I’ve been to a couple shops in Akihabara - Yodobashi usually has a good collection of recent stuff; I think Yellow Submarine is closed now(?); and TamTam was a great store last time I was there in 2019. I’ve been to Mandrake in Shibuya but was mostly looking for books that one time.

I also expect to visit Kanazawa, Himeiji, and maybe Kyoto this time. Any tips on stores to check out would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I was in Japan in February and most of the non-Bandai Macross stuff was easy to find.  Gunpla on the other hand was almost impossible.  If you are looking for plastic models from Wave and other manufacturers, the Yodabashi Camera in Kyoto had them in stock, right near the train station.  The best place for plastic models was in Osaka, a place called Joshin Super Kids Land HQ.  The Jungle Mecha Store is also worth visiting if you are in the area.

If you want Resin kits, those are much harder to find.  You can try Mandarake Nakano Broadway, which is a much see in my opinion.  The other branches might have as well but it might be easier to order online and have it shipped domestically to where you are staying.

Jungle, Volks and Yellow Submarine may have some items in stock, but avoid Surugaya at all costs.  These guys have gone full scalper mode, charging double/triple for recent releases.  Their store in Akihabara is stacked floor to ceiling in Amazon boxes filled with models they order online to resell.

Thankfully I enjoyed the hunt, but I ended up buying very little while I was there.

On 5/6/2023 at 7:35 AM, Darth Mingus said:

Thankfully I enjoyed the hunt, but I ended up buying very little while I was there.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I saved all those shops so I can visit them if I have the chance. I’ll probably have one day in Akihabara, so I should be able to hit most of them. Last time I was there, I only made it to TamTam and Yodobashi - both great shops but not much older stuff. Looks like we’re going to be in Kyoto for a couple days, so I’ll check out the Yodobashi there too.

I enjoy just poking around the shops too. I usually end up only getting one or two models while I’m there. A Wave Destroid kit takes up quite a bit of space in the luggage on the way home, so back in 2015, I bought just one and then ordered the others from Amazon after I got home. The higher price makes up for not having to lug them home! I’ll focus my search on rare or out of production models on this trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update: I spent the day in Akihabara and visited Yodobashi, Volks, Jungle Store, and TamTam. The last three were quick walk throughs to check their Macross kits, as I was running short on time. The first three all had a bunch of Wave Destroid Tomahawks and Phalanx, but no Defenders. All of them had Hasegawa Regults, the Operation Bullseye armored Valkeries, and a decent number of other models (though they all pale in comparison to the quantity of Gundam kits, of course). TamTam even still had a Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1A Sonic Birds, which I was really tempted by, but I already have two (love that scheme). I may go back for ¥1,650 Bandai Destroid Spartan I saw at one of those shops. It’s not perfect, but I’ve never had one of those kits, and it’s the only game in town at the moment.

One thing I noticed is that Yodobashi’s prices are about 10% cheaper than other shops, plus they offer tax free purchases for foreigners. They just have an incredible selection of kits and hobby tools. I never ceased to be amazed by that place. Volks is a nice shop too, but I didn’t have much time to look around there.

I’m hoping to spend a few more hours in Akihabara and check a few other shops around town before we head home. Still on the hunt for my Wave Destroid Defender…