DX Chogokin VF-25 Revival Ver (WWM Releases)

no3Ljm

I'm down, the 25 is one of my favorite VFs and I love the matte finish.  I am a bit bummed because I was hopeful we'd get a V3 dx VF-25 (or perhaps just an improved V2 / renewal) with 4x hardpoints per wing, including the VF Master file / Macross 30 munitions which I really love.  Some sort of "Full set pack" like the YF-19.

Honestly, I'm just happy they're actually doing bundles.. after.. oh, what's it been now, over ten years?  Seriously.  I paid for my first Alto DX renewal in July of 2011, and the packs were released something like a year later. 

Everyone wanted bundles from the start, but noooooo, gotta make everything web exclusive to let the scalpers milk the market for over a decade before kicking all the people who've been overpaying for all that time squarely in the cajones.

I'm not personally salty about this, because I jumped through the hoops to get in on group buys for the super and armor packs for both Alto and Ozma, but to change course now just makes me want to slap them.

Won't stop me from at least attempting to pick up both an Alto and Ozma bundle, of course. :p 

I just hope they follow through and at least do both Alto and Ozma so all the people who picked up later runs of Ozma can finally get an MSRP armor set for him.

Edited by Chronocidal

While I'm a fan of the matte finish, I'm having a hard time justifying getting this considering I have all the Frontier Skull Squadron renewals and their respective super/tornado/armored packs (which MW member wouldn't? Hehe!) Considering also that my Alto has yellowed significantly, I'm afraid to invest in another one which will most likely yellow away too in several years' time. Unless Bandai used a different kind of plastic for this one...

16 hours ago, optimuspint said:

Look at the area between the neck and shoulder joint.  The new one is more level than the renewal version.  Maybe it is something that has been fixed? 

Don't have the WWM version of the 25 so can't say if there were any fixes in that area. 

It just looks more like the way its transformed for the photoshoot though.

12 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I have two of Alto's 25F and they're both as white as the day I got them, as far as I can tell anyway. I don't need the matte finish on this new release since I clear coated my own with one. I don't have the supers though and that's the only thing I would gain out of this release, but as @Lolicon said, the QC has been questionable lately and I don't want the supers enough to risk it. 

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this but what did you use for your matte clear coat on your old Alto 25F's?  Did you have to cover any of the parts when you did it like the cockpit canopy?

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Honestly, I'm just happy they're actually doing bundles.. after.. oh, what's it been now, over ten years?  Seriously.  I paid for my first Alto DX renewal in July of 2011, and the packs were released something like a year later. 

Everyone wanted bundles from the start, but noooooo, gotta make everything web exclusive to let the scalpers milk the market for over a decade before kicking all the people who've been overpaying for all that time squarely in the cajones.

I'm not personally salty about this, because I jumped through the hoops to get in on group buys for the super and armor packs for both Alto and Ozma, but to change course now just makes me want to slap them.

Won't stop me from at least attempting to pick up both an Alto and Ozma bundle, of course. :p 

I just hope they follow through and at least do both Alto and Ozma so all the people who picked up later runs of Ozma can finally get an MSRP armor set for him.

I only have one VF-25 in my collection right now, a later-run Ozma with Armor. Cost me a lot on the secondary market to get it, so I couldn't justify picking up an Alto as well--much less one with accessories. I'm mildly happy about this reissue because I might be able to get an Alto, with Super Parts, as MSRP. With my luck, I'll end up with one that has some serious QC issues, but that's the risk these days. :unknw:

3 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this but what did you use for your matte clear coat on your old Alto 25F's?  Did you have to cover any of the parts when you did it like the cockpit canopy?

I start off with Future during my weathering process, then finish off with a Matte or Satin clear coat. I do have to mask off clear parts so they don't get hazy.

I believe I used this Vallejo Matt Varnish at the time I did my Alto 25s and it works pretty well.

I tried out Vallejo Mecha Satin Varnish for a time, but that product is utter garbage and I highly advise to avoid it. It is truly awful and I hate it.

I've since switched to Vallejo Satin Varnish Polyurethane as I feel it is more durable after it's fully dried. 

8 hours ago, brouken said:

While I'm a fan of the matte finish, I'm having a hard time justifying getting this considering I have all the Frontier Skull Squadron renewals and their respective super/tornado/armored packs (which MW member wouldn't? Hehe!) Considering also that my Alto has yellowed significantly, I'm afraid to invest in another one which will most likely yellow away too in several years' time. Unless Bandai used a different kind of plastic for this one...

Hey @brouken. I'm in the same bout as you even though I don't have all the Frontier Squadron. Just Alto's and Ozma's. I think I'm done rebuying stuff esp ones that's just the same as the old release since the difference is just the finish and probably some color tweaks due to the matte finish look. I'm pretty sure the tolerance in this is tighter to what we currently have. But then, as most toys do, after a number of transformations, it will become loose. We just have to enjoy it while we can, right? So what I'm thinking is, is that if I find my Valks yellowing since they're currently in my closet after the move, I'll probably do what other members here have done to their yellowed Valk. Clean it and after that I'll do what MJ, Lolicon and others did on their Valks by applying some panel lining, white paint the landing gears, etc and topcoat it. And yes, they're still eventually going to turn yellow at one point. So I might as well enjoy them and not treat them like something that will outlive me. ;) 

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I start off with Future during my weathering process, then finish off with a Matte or Satin clear coat. I do have to mask off clear parts so they don't get hazy

Dumb question, but by Future you mean pledge floor polish right? Cause future hasn't been in production for a while I believe

32 minutes ago, DownIsUp said:

Dumb question, but by Future you mean pledge floor polish right? Cause future hasn't been in production for a while I believe

Correct, I still call it Future because the pledge stuff has been renamed a couple times already and it's hard to remember. I think Pledge even stopped making it altogether now.

3 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I start off with Future during my weathering process, then finish off with a Matte or Satin clear coat. I do have to mask off clear parts so they don't get hazy.

I believe I used this Vallejo Matt Varnish at the time I did my Alto 25s and it works pretty well.

I tried out Vallejo Mecha Satin Varnish for a time, but that product is utter garbage and I highly advise to avoid it. It is truly awful and I hate it.

I've since switched to Vallejo Satin Varnish Polyurethane as I feel it is more durable after it's fully dried. 

Awesome, thanks!

2 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Correct, I still call it Future because the pledge stuff has been renamed a couple times already and it's hard to remember. I think Pledge even stopped making it altogether now.

I still call it Future as well. Just easier that way. Still made by Pledge and is called "Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss" now:

http://www.finescale.com/how-to/tips/2018/05/reader-tips-pledge-future-gloss-has-a-new-name

Actually, I stand corrected. Just checked online and Pledge discontinued it in January of this year. Crap.

Edited by Anasazi37

22 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

I still call it Future as well. Just easier that way. Still made by Pledge and is called "Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss" now:

http://www.finescale.com/how-to/tips/2018/05/reader-tips-pledge-future-gloss-has-a-new-name

Actually, I stand corrected. Just checked online and Pledge discontinued it in January of this year. Crap.

Yeah, when I found they stopped making it altogether, I grabbed an extra bottle, but at a marked up price.

32 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Did the anniversary 25F have the same improvement as the Alto 29 re-release and Max 29, where the joint joining the LERX and the chest piece is clicky and basically locks into place?

I'm curious if they made the same improvement to the VF-25 mold since they share the same part with the YF-29.

Yes

Were any of the hollow spring-pins replaced with regular pins, in the anniversary one?  It'll suck if these new ones start splitting their hinges apart after a few years like the originals.   (mainly the ones around the waist/crotch area, but the nosecone one also seems a bit iffy)   

15 hours ago, brouken said:

I thought the point of this release is so that the bare plastic is covered with paint, therefore negating the plastic yellowing. At least that's what I like about the YF-29 Alto reissue, and (I think?) what they did with the DX VF-1 releases. But now looking at the WWM VF-25 release, it seems like it's bare plastic with matte coat. Hopefully it is a UV cut matte coat? A Ozma reissue wouldn't have the same issue since the base color is gray, and it's the glossiness that bothers me most.

13 minutes ago, leeboo1211 said:

I thought the point of this release is so that the bare plastic is covered with paint, therefore negating the plastic yellowing. At least that's what I like about the YF-29 Alto reissue, and (I think?) what they did with the DX VF-1 releases. But now looking at the WWM VF-25 release, it seems like it's bare plastic with matte coat. Hopefully it is a UV cut matte coat? A Ozma reissue wouldn't have the same issue since the base color is gray, and it's the glossiness that bothers me most.

The YF-29 Alto re-issue and the DX VF-1s are still mostly bare plastic. They haven't painted white any areas that were already white plastic. The matte finish is not a coating, but rather how they textured the plastic.

Also check out the "YOU'RE YELLOW!" thread and you can see examples of even grey plastic turning color, like this.

27 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

The YF-29 Alto re-issue and the DX VF-1s are still mostly bare plastic. They haven't painted white any areas that were already white plastic. The matte finish is not a coating, but rather how they textured the plastic.

Also check out the "YOU'RE YELLOW!" thread and you can see examples of even grey plastic turning color, like this.

I see, thanks for the clarification! I was not aware the gray could turn...whatever that is.

It's interesting to see Bandai's different approaches, as the Gundam MBs/GFFMCs I collect often have white paint everywhere. Perhaps their consideration with the DX line is the transformation and paint chipping. That being said, they are never consistent...the recent Metal Robot Spirits TR-1 Hazel has a painted body, but then the Hrududu expansion parts for it are bare plastic....so the color mismatches. Weird.

10 minutes ago, leeboo1211 said:

I see, thanks for the clarification! I was not aware the gray could turn...whatever that is.

It's interesting to see Bandai's different approaches, as the Gundam MBs/GFFMCs I collect often have white paint everywhere. Perhaps their consideration with the DX line is the transformation and paint chipping. That being said, they are never consistent...the recent Metal Robot Spirits TR-1 Hazel has a painted body, but then the Hrududu expansion parts for it are bare plastic....so the color mismatches. Weird.

Just be glad they learned (some, at least) from the early v.1 DX VF-25 releases.  Michael's valk had the entire lower half of each wing section and the entire gear doors molded in blue paint, and then painted over with white, because they didn't break out the molds correctly to allow them in separate colors.

Sadly, the Renewals didn't even escape this entirely.. Michael's was fine, but for some mind-boggling reason, they molded the lower halves of Ozma's wing sections on a different mold than all of the other pieces molded in that color, and then painted over them... and the results were not great.  If the wings weren't covered by the armor anyhow, they'd be rather ugly.

14 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Sadly, the Renewals didn't even escape this entirely.. Michael's was fine, but for some mind-boggling reason, they molded the lower halves of Ozma's wing sections on a different mold than all of the other pieces molded in that color, and then painted over them... and the results were not great.  If the wings weren't covered by the armor anyhow, they'd be rather ugly.

Wait, did they really? I feel like I remember something about that, but I'm looking at a re-release Ozma that I have and the bottom half of the wings are not painted over. They're actually molded in the color they ought to be. I tried looking at the original release I have but it's harder to tell since that one was weathered and clear coated, but at least it seems to be the same color all around, including on the more hidden inside.

13 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Wait, did they really? I feel like I remember something about that, but I'm looking at a re-release Ozma that I have and the bottom half of the wings are not painted over. They're actually molded in the color they ought to be. I tried looking at the original release I have but it's harder to tell since that one was weathered and clear coated, but at least it seems to be the same color all around, including on the more hidden inside.

I only noticed it because the lower wing glove paint on mine got some weird uneven coating that actually made it look weathered from the factory.  They did this with several of the parts on Ozma's, because whoever designed the paintschemes for the Frontier valks apparently had no concept whatsoever of how difficult they would be to replicate on toys, or even models.  Ozma's valk has like four shades of gray going on, if I recall.

Unfortunately, nothing changed going into Delta.. Somewhere, the connection between "transforming toy" and "gobs of intricate pinstriping and multi-layered paintschemes" never set off any common sense alarms.

Edited by Chronocidal

On 9/28/2022 at 8:56 AM, leeboo1211 said:

I'm afraid even gray plastic is not immune to yellowing. I have Ozma's renewal, and some parts have also yellowed....

1 hour ago, thkthk12 said:

Just got into this expensive hobby and was wondering where can I preorder this and will it be midnight JSP time on 10/2? Sorry its a noob question but it will be my first PO thanks in advance

Preorder will start on the 3rd of October, Japan time. Not sure yet if it's the traditional 4pm JPN time. If it is, and you're in the US, then that's 12mn Pacific, 1am Mountain, 2am Central, and 3am Eastern of the said same date. Hope that helps. :hi:

And for the upcoming Preorder links, best to add this thread below for notification. We're trying to keep all the PO concerns, links, etc, on the link below. Good luck on your first PO exprience. :good: