3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah... nobody wants the return of a minstrel show-like comic relief character ala Jar-Jar Binks, and giving Cassian an alien buddy he had to translate for would not only slow the plot down a bit it'd make him feel like a low-rent Han Solo (like the Han Solo in Solo).

More like Dumpster-Dive Han Solo. That didn't even seem like Han to me; not the same mannerisms or much of anything save the outfit.

More to the point though: after seeing what SW does with aliens (case in point: prequel Trade Federation bosses), I think they would do well keeping them in only  as needed and sparingly at that (BSG-R avoids that luggage by nit having any to begin with, but that's another franchise). GIven the Empire's disdain (at best) for non- homo sapiens, that can work just fine for this period.

On another note: Cassian needs to be his own character, not a clone of another established previous one. Adding an alien sidekick is just going to make it that much harder sledding  for the character and the show overall.

Edited by pengbuzz

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

More to the point though: after seeing what SW does with aliens (case in point: prequel Trade Federation bosses), I think they would do well keeping them in only  as needed and sparingly at that (BSG-R avoids that luggage by nit having any to begin with, but that's another franchise). GIven the Empire's disdain (at best) for non- homo sapiens, that can work just fine for this period.

At least in the films, Star Wars has always restricted the roles of alien characters to sidekicks, supporting characters, and background extras.  

I suspect that has a lot to do with Star Wars opting to make its aliens more physically alien.  Star Trek can get away with making alien characters regulars in its main cast because its favored approach to aliens is the humanoid "rubber forehead alien".  The light prosthetics and body paint they use minimally obscures the actors faces, so they can still emote like a normal actor.  It's relatively easy on the actors, unless they develop an allergy to the materials.  More "alien" aliens require either digital post-production animation or heavy makeup and prosthetics that are extremely time-consuming, expensive, and hard on the actors.  I've heard it said that actors who play those roles tend to ask for more money in casting because of how time consuming, unpleasant, and claustrophobic working in heavy prosthetics is.  

Easier by far to keep aliens in the background "for local color" and leave the action to the humans.  

(That and Star Wars made a lot of its more recent aliens kinda racist... the Trade Federation, Jar-Jar, Watto, etc.  I'd really rather not see something like that again.  Another one of those would make it two steps forward and three steps back in terms of representation.)

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

On another note: Cassian needs to be his own character, not a clone of another established previous one. Adding an alien sidekick is just going to make it that much harder sledding  for the character and the show overall.

Yeah.  Cassian and Andor in general benefit heavily from defying the usual Star Wars formula in favor of more nuanced storytelling.  I'd hate to see them compromise that.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

He may not get an alien, but there was the emo robot and he eventually gets a sassbot 

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

One of my favorite scenes in the series. Stellan Skarsgård killed it, one of his best performances in his career and a under rated actor IMHO.

That being said, I suspect Luthen is a Jedi survivor too and could explain why he has a network of rebels. Kleya is probably his padawan.

Either that or he’s a sith and Kleya is a weird Leia clone apprentice 

Though they've toyed with "Gray Jedi" and Rogue Jedi , it hasn't happened much in the live action world. I mean, what's Asoka? She isn't pure "Jedi" hasn't been for a long time. This is the facet of SW that has always grabbed me the most. The middle area between the dark and light. It's more vast and diverse than expected. 

6 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Andor x RATM

That's awesome! 

I'm still hung up on Kenari, largely due to one line of dialogue...

Spoiler

Upon starting a full rewatch, the ship which crashes on the planet in episode 1 is revealed to be crewed by people which appear to be wearing CIS uniforms. However, in episode 2, Maarva states that the natives just killed a Republic officer. I feel like this can't be just a dialogue screw up. I really wonder if she had a hand in bringing down the ship after discovering that it was a Republic front for chemical weapons. Her transport certainly didn't appear to be armed to the point of taking down another ship, but appearances can be deceiving. I so badly want to know more about the story behind what happened with Kenari. I wonder if it will somehow fit into the larger galactic "push" to tip systems toward the Rebellion? (e.g. Palpatine's dirty laundry being aired showing that he played both sides of the conflict.)

I guess we won't know for sure for at least another two years. Ugh.

2 hours ago, Axelay said:

I'm still hung up on Kenari, largely due to one line of dialogue...

Hide contents

Upon starting a full rewatch, the ship which crashes on the planet in episode 1 is revealed to be crewed by people which appear to be wearing CIS uniforms. However, in episode 2, Maarva states that the natives just killed a Republic officer. I feel like this can't be just a dialogue screw up. I really wonder if she had a hand in bringing down the ship after discovering that it was a Republic front for chemical weapons. Her transport certainly didn't appear to be armed to the point of taking down another ship, but appearances can be deceiving. I so badly want to know more about the story behind what happened with Kenari. I wonder if it will somehow fit into the larger galactic "push" to tip systems toward the Rebellion? (e.g. Palpatine's dirty laundry being aired showing that he played both sides of the conflict.)

I guess we won't know for sure for at least another two years. Ugh.

Yeah, I was a bit thrown by that too... though more because there was some timeline problem there.  

It seems that Andor did a bit more retconning of Cassian's background than it first appeared to.  His homeworld being listed as Fest was retconned to being a cover story, but it looks like his birth year changed a bit too.  The official website says that Cassian was 9 when he was taken off Kenari and that the flashbacks occur before the start of the Clone Wars.  Rogue One material says Cassian was 26 when he died.  With the Clone Wars starting 17 years before the series and 22 years before Rogue One, Cassian would have to be at least 31 for that timeline to work.

If it was prior to the official outbreak of the Clone Wars, Maarva may have been mistaken about who the crew actually were.  Maybe she assumed they were Republic because they were crewing a stolen Republic ship or something of that nature.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'm very, very late to this party.  I just got D+ tonight (well, last night) and I started with Andor.  Rogue One is the only good thing Disney has done with the IP so this is the place to start.

I'm just 3 and a bit episodes in and did the casting director look at Chernobyl and say, "Get me everyone who worked on that?"  'Cuz I recognize 3 actors so far in pi episodes.  Also love the little drop of an "increase in construction materials to Scarif."  Love the worldbuilding, even if the first 3 episodes were so.  Frickin'.  Slooooooooooooow.

I don't need to sleep, right??? :D

4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

@CoryHolmes - No, you DO need sleep, especially watching Andor!  It is a SLOOOW burn but the ride is totally worth it!!! 

Yes, this show is a slow burn. Especially the first 3 episodes. It will pick up after that with a couple more slow episodes inbetween but just sit it out.

7 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I'm just 3 and a bit episodes in and did the casting director look at Chernobyl and say, "Get me everyone who worked on that?"  'Cuz I recognize 3 actors so far in pi episodes.  Also love the little drop of an "increase in construction materials to Scarif."  Love the worldbuilding, even if the first 3 episodes were so.  Frickin'.  Slooooooooooooow.

Yeah, it's slow... but take it slow with Andor.  The story's broken up into story arcs of 3 or so episodes, which are largely self-contained but build in the same direction.  If you're going to do multiple episodes, groups of three is the way to go.  

Just finished Episode 4, and I'm faaaaar more interested in Mon Mothma and her (seemingly?  Kindasorta is?) douchebag of a husband.  I want more politics of this era!

Despise Siyrl?  Syrial?  The corpo cop who's DEFINITELY a douchebag.

Edited by CoryHolmes

I got a late start tonight.  My Christmas break is almost over.  Why can't I stop this show??? :unsure:

I'm now 7 episodes in and I'm LOVING the universe it's set in.  The Imperial beueroc- bueaocra- brewerocracy is spot-on to how I imagined it in my mind all these years.  It's a Nerf-eat-Nerf world which saps resources but lets the best float to the top.  I love this ISB chickie, she's cold and calculating and is making a tremendous villain, but I can't shake the feeling that she and her rival ISB dude just need to hurry up and bone and get that crap OVER WITH ALREADY! :acute:

*ahem*

I'm loving how every little NPC gets reasons for doing what they do in a huge galaxy, each playing a part in the larger story even if they don't know it.  But I also like how the galaxy keeps turning despite their losses and hardships, just to bring into focus that not everyone can the main characters and sometimes are just specks of an NPC. 

Mon Mothma is stealing the damn show, and I so want to just slap her douche bag of a husband with a smelly nerfhide.  He just oozes douchiness, and her daughter is a brat supreme.  I wonder if the Brat could meet up with Leia and get some pointers?  Aww, who'm I kidding?  Teenage Leia would have them sneaking off to bedrock-level nightclubs and still be prim and proper in the morning :yahoo:

I still don't care for Syril.  I actually skip most of the scenes with him and his mother.  Here's a hint, dude : No sci-fi officer should pattern himself after Arnold Judas Rimmer.  Just... don't.

Four episodes left.  I can only hope the wrap-up for this is as satisfying as this middle section has been!

ps: It's so, so incredibly refreshing to have a Star Wars story that doesn't even bat an eyelash at the Force or glowsticks or secret hidden Jedi that slaughter whole levels of troops and boss battles that shouldn't ever remain hidden.  This is my jam and it's awesome!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

It was inevitable, but nevertheless welcome. :) 

I can hardly wait for season two to start.

11 hours ago, azrael said:

They already mentioned it back here that Season 2 would cover 4 years. I'm just hoping it means the story moves a little be faster versus season 1 which had lots of long stretches of uneventful... stuff. But since Season 2 isn't coming until 2024...😴

You didn't find a guy eating Froot Loops while being harrased by his thin caricature of a nagging Jewish mother exciting?

On 5/6/2023 at 9:07 AM, Dynaman said:

You didn't find a guy eating Froot Loops while being harrased by his thin caricature of a nagging Jewish mother exciting?

It's not exactly riveting TV, but it was character development for a character who turned out to actually have a not insignificant role in the story. It helped clarify what drove Syril Karn to be the starcharse he is and why he's so desperate to regain his lost status.

IMO it makes him a more believable character than if he were just some jack booted idiot. His desire for power and control comes from having had very little power or control over his life when he was still living with his parents. Mundane evil can be far more creepy and unsettling than the kind of Saturday morning cartoon show villains that normally populate the Star Wars universe in the form of the Sith Lords.

On 5/6/2023 at 9:07 AM, Dynaman said:

Come on man, get it right….he was eating Trix not Fruitloops. 😜 They we’re puffs and not loops  Lol

Chris

7 hours ago, Dobber said:

Come on man, get it right….he was eating Trix not Fruitloops. 😜 They we’re puffs and not loops  Lol

Chris

For me there was Captain Crunch (Peanut Butter preferable) and then everything else...

EDIT - As for the Character Development.  That is good, very good but not when it has to be done with a badly done religious stereotype mother.

Edited by Dynaman

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

For me there was Captain Crunch (Peanut Butter preferable) and then everything else...

Clearly the reason he grew up to be a failure is that he chose that over C-3PO's... the breakfast of champions fussy gits the galaxy over.

(Yes I had to google Star Wars breakfast cereal for this.  No, I was not expecting such a magnificent setup.)

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

EDIT - As for the Character Development.  That is good, very good but not when it has to be done with a badly done religious stereotype mother.

That you associate an overbearing mother-type character with a particular ethnicity is on you, mate.  

Those are one phenomenon among many that knows few, if any, boundaries of race or culture.

(For the record, Eedy Karn's actress - Aikaterini Hadjipateras AKA Kathryn Hunter - is a Greek-American from New York who was educated in England.)

Spoiler

It was rather interesting to learn that she's a classically trained Shakespearian actor from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art who's also been in Harry PotterRomeTron: Rising, and The Tragedy of Macbeth.

As an added bonus, Kyle Soller, who plays Syril Karn, is ALSO an alumnus of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.

31 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That you associate an overbearing mother-type character with a particular ethnicity is on you, mate.  

Reveal hidden contents

It was rather interesting to learn that she's a classically trained Shakespearian actor from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art who's also been in Harry PotterRomeTron: Rising, and The Tragedy of Macbeth.

As an added bonus, Kyle Soller, who plays Syril Karn, is ALSO an alumnus of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.

No I don't "associate it" - it IS.  The character as portrayed is exactly the stereotype, right down to the accent.   Woody Allen made great use of it in New York Stories.