Bandai High Grade 1/100 YF-19 model kit

kajnrig

The HG is still cool and it looks like I'll have to pose it on its own.  I'm glad it will have good articulation.  It's unfortunate that the YF-19 isn't the size of the old school 1/100 VF-19 Blazer or Fire Valkyrie which also use somewhat of a similar partsforming transformation. The YF-19 wouldn't have been exactly to scale since the HMR VF-1 is 1/90 but at least it would be taller.

0A16058F-121F-493D-9005-9057072462A4.jpeg.243c34f47efae5ba301792b2a079ad2a.jpeg

BF6B367B-2924-427A-AAE1-20AC931799E2.jpeg.28dd3e9c5f6fe65cf6532e9c1a5816fb.jpeg

5 hours ago, sh9000 said:

The HG is still cool and it looks like I'll have to pose it on its own.  I'm glad it will have good articulation.  It's unfortunate that the YF-19 isn't the size of the old school 1/100 VF-19 Blazer or Fire Valkyrie which also use somewhat of a similar partsforming transformation. The YF-19 wouldn't have been exactly to scale since the HMR VF-1 is 1/90 but at least it would be taller.

0A16058F-121F-493D-9005-9057072462A4.jpeg.243c34f47efae5ba301792b2a079ad2a.jpeg

BF6B367B-2924-427A-AAE1-20AC931799E2.jpeg.28dd3e9c5f6fe65cf6532e9c1a5816fb.jpeg

Yeah i was at least hoping the HG YF-19 to be taller than the HMR. No matter i will take the HG as a mini YF-19 for desk display purposes.:pardon:

Now you got me considering getting an old skool VF-19S too! 😆

30 minutes ago, Firefox21 said:

Wow! This is the worst part-forming I've seen. Even the old Bandai 1/100 VF-19 doesn't have that many parts to remove/replace.

Yeah, but it’s not as messy as that kit. I hated those arms so much and the wings were also fiddly and barely closed over the poly caps 

but the worst partsforming definitely belongs to the vf-100 line. Those were just hand grenades without a timer

I just got my first one from hlj the other day and was taking a look at things. Looks like they really did a good job at minimizing seam lines. It has far fewer spots than I was expecting. The box is really loaded with parts. I’ll be building this one after I get my other two from bbts

10 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Looks pretty decent, I think the only two real disappointments I have are the fugly feet (given for a Bandai YF-19, really), and the fact that they didn't even try to hide the waist section in fighter mode.  That giant gray block between the intakes really sticks out.

Agree. They should've added something like a cover when the stand connector is not being used. 

I ordered mine from HLJ back in October, but only have the decals in the private warehouse. Anyone else order through HLJ and not have theirs yet?
I can wait, just seeing if anyone else was in the same boat before I bothered their support team

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I ordered mine from HLJ back in October, but only have the decals in the private warehouse. Anyone else order through HLJ and not have theirs yet?
I can wait, just seeing if anyone else was in the same boat before I bothered their support team

You may want to check. They sent both the kit and decals to me about a week ago. They both came in stock on the same day. It’s possible they didn’t get enough of the kits in or the order for the actual kit didn’t go through or hopefully everything is just fine and not showing properly 

I'm in the same boat, no update on the one I'm waiting to go into my warehouse.  Went to check earlier, since I'm holding off shipping my Wave 171 and Arcadia Tomohawk until it arrives, and they keep pestering me to ship. :p 

Not in any rush to receive any of those things though, so as long as they don't threaten to cancel my orders, I'm happy to wait and ship them together.

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I'm in the same boat. The decal sheet landed in my private warehouse but the kit didn't. I figure not as many people ordered the decals as the kit so there was no problem completing that part of the order. I hope they get some more stock soon. 

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Same here as well. My guess is that they couldn't fulfill every preorder with the first run. Hoping that a second run will be done soon.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:42 PM, Chronocidal said:

Looks pretty decent, I think the only two real disappointments I have are the fugly feet (given for a Bandai YF-19, really), and the fact that they didn't even try to hide the waist section in fighter mode.  That giant gray block between the intakes really sticks out.

Agree here as well. Would have been nice if the legs were slimmer. I don't think anyone had any issues with the DX Chogokin being skinner than the line art. Also, disappointed with the grey block, too. I poured over all the images when news first came out to see if there was something missing. I guess beggars can't be choosers. 

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I'm in the same boat as most of you, it seems. Congrats to... it looks like... @Big s and @Chronocidal?... on their good luck.

I'm in no rush, so I'm fine waiting... is what I'd say if I didn't in a panic preorder three from USAGundamstore when I wasn't charged after two days. :lol:

I’m actually waiting on a couple that I preordered from bbts since hlj only allowed one on the original preorder night. Even then I’m probably not gonna start right away since I’m really backlogged at the moment, but the plan was to do them all at the same time and hopefully match the weathering as close as possible to have all three modes on the shelf without having to swap parts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon my terrible pics. I skipped Gerwalk because...who am I kidding, I can't be the only one who thought the YF-19's Gerwalk was an afterthought lol.

Other notes I made:

-I did buy the waterslides, but only ones I used were the U.N.SPACY ones on the legs/gun/left wing, and the 19 on the left shoulder. Also, on the left wing, black part is a sticker. I was worried Mr Mark Setter/Softer would eat through it when applying the U.N.SPACY decal, but no worries.
-Several color correcting stickers, but no big deal to me. Some have waterslide versions if that's more your thing (the red/green bits on the wing tips I did with Sharpies).
-Used the Gundam lining pencil instead of Gundam Markers, I think it turned out nicely.
-There are obvious attachment points for the FAST Pack. C'mon, Bandai
-Very light weight and super easy to transform thanks to the Shortcut Change feature (aka Partsforming. IMO frakk perfect transformation on a model kit, leave that to the DX and HMR figures). To be honest, it feels nice to know I can put this in any mode I want without having to spend 10-20+ minutes and not needing to tear my hair out.

Overall impressions, I'm very satisfied with the first entry in this new HG 1/100 Macross line. Can't wait for the upcoming Durandal.

EDIT: Added Gerwalk and all parts

19-1.jpg

19-2.jpg

19-3.jpg

19-4.jpg

19-5.jpg

Edited by The Sum of Zero

Opted to forego the shipping and just went with a refund before I had to pay restocking fees....

After seeing the "on-hand" pics...couldn't get over the "stubby legs look" in Battroid and how tiny it is when displayed next to an HMR VF-1...yeah I know, HMR VF-1 is not exactly 1/100...but I'm guessing neither is the HG YF-19...but seems the scale is more off than the HMR....funny how 2 different teams working for the same company be so far off from each other....I guess there are work silos and then there are Bandai Work Silos! ;)

5 hours ago, The Sum of Zero said:

Pardon my terrible pics. I skipped Gerwalk because...who am I kidding, I can't be the only one who thought the YF-19's Gerwalk was an afterthought lol.

It’s definitely one of my least favorite gerwalk modes. Even in the anime, it looks off.

6 hours ago, Shawn said:

Maybe its the coloring? The lighter tan makes the legs seem longer?

image.png.b58437f72e1bfe12680f0bfa0c9324a2.png

It could be that the one with lighter tan has the leg straight at the upper thigh giving it a thinner look compared the the other picture with the legs turned at the upper thigh 

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

C6B973CB-1F9D-4B3C-A9AA-A65F5D882DD4.jpeg.fe4d48f9e544bd261ea2b037c142c444.jpeg

Since the HG YF-19 and HM VF-19 in Fighter mode are both around 8" in length I think it will still look cool next to an HMR VF-1 in Fighter mode.

OK, that does make a difference...at least the fighter modes can "coexist"...lol

Still, I think I'll just wait and see if the HMR line decides to venture back into the M7 series.....most of the heavy lifting seems to have been completed when they released their VF-19 HM's....some more tweaking and they can deliver some really nice YF/VF-19's at some point during the WWM and/or "revival" journey....

I'm not really even entertaining the notion of leaving this transformable, I kind of just want a 1/100-ish YF-19 kit to build and swoosh around my desk. :p   I might glue it permanently in fighter mode, and scratch build a passable crotch section to replace the grey block they used.

What actually strikes me in a weird way is how much it reminds me of the old 1/72 Yamato YF-19.  Proportions are much better, but maybe it's the shape of the tails and the color of the plastic?
yf19_proto2_fit1.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal