Bandai High Grade 1/100 YF-19 model kit

kajnrig

12 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Nice...this is what it will look like without painting?  If so, glad I picked one up....mainly bought it as a stand in until a possible HMR Y/VF-19 is released...

It appears so.  (notes the wrap around stickers on the tails and rear stabilizers, and the slight misalignment of the ones in the top intakes.)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they keep the boxes larger, so they take up more space on the retailer shelves, so they can still look fully stocked with higher priced smaller inventory 😛

But unlike the Hasegawa 1/48s for example (you could pack 2x of the kits in one box), the Bandai looks pretty full?
image.png.4ce2e6746cffd6b83194091c6b0b859e.png

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Around the 32:40 mark they talk about the stickers, and like half a minute to a minute later they show a slide about... a new layering technique? Or something? Anyone know what that's about?

Did you try Closed Captioning and Auto-Translation?
image.png.1c277373da824ffd82aa2807813231fa.png

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Maybe they keep the boxes larger, so they take up more space on the retailer shelves, so they can still look fully stocked with higher priced smaller inventory 😛

But unlike the Hasegawa 1/48s for example (you could pack 2x of the kits in one box), the Bandai looks pretty full?

I know they size them to fit the sprues, which I realize they can't really change, but Bandai is probably the most obnoxious manufacturer in terms of ratio of sprue-to-kit.  They have the art of complex injection molding mastered, but it comes at the cost of an insane amount of wasted plastic.

I have a single Bandai Armored VF-25 box that contains at least a dozen of the kits.  Minus the sprue, they each fit into a sandwich bag.

The same can almost be said for Hasegawa.  I bought two of the super/strike 1/48 VF-1s.. those two boxes contain about six of the actual fighters, and the other is full of super packs and weapons packs.

Far as the decals are concerned though.. yeah, no.  I'm painting the markings.  Bandai's Macross decals have consistently been the worst decals I have ever seen in my life.

Edited by Chronocidal

On 1/24/2023 at 6:22 AM, Big s said:

That might be another twenty years . Bandai has been really slow on new mg kits. Most are just rehashed parts these days 

Part of that may have to do with Covid, and part with a move towards doing more things through P-bandai (which may also be because covid.)

We've gotten 8 retail-release MG kits over the past three years (3 in 2020, 3 in 2021, and 2 in 2022), but the year before that (2019) we got seven. Also, Bandai is building a new factory that'll be online in the next couple of years. 

Anyway, what would count as an MG for Macross? Transforming 1/72 kits? 

Short interview with Kawamori and Itano on their thoughts Macross Plus and the model.  Also shows some of the gimmicks of the model.  I don't know if anyone mentioned this previously but it's a partsformer.

Edited by Vifam7

1 hour ago, Vifam7 said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this previously but it's a partsformer.

Since Page 2. ;) 

I'm pretty sure even the announced YF-29 will also be partsformer.

Edited by no3Ljm

2 hours ago, Vifam7 said:

Short interview with Kawamori and Itano on their thoughts Macross Plus and the model.  Also shows some of the gimmicks of the model.  I don't know if anyone mentioned this previously but it's a partsformer.

Thanks for posting-nice video. It is crazy how poseable this kit is! :)

HG seems to be made for battroid..

On 1/27/2023 at 3:02 PM, seti88 said:

This is going to fit nicely on my desk.

Looking forward to see how it looks next to my HMR VF-1.

but looks like shorter a tad bit than the HMR vf-1 ... kit scales and HMR scales differ?😅

nevertheless looking forward to a mini YF-19 on the desk! 😄

12 minutes ago, seti88 said:

HG seems to be made for battroid..

but looks like shorter a tad bit than the HMR vf-1 ... kit scales and HMR scales differ?😅

nevertheless looking forward to a mini YF-19 on the desk! 😄

They’ve said the hmr stuff is too big over in that side of things, closer to 1/90 or possibly bigger.