Bandai High Grade 1/100 YF-19 model kit

kajnrig

Can't say it doesn't look good for a model that size, but eh.  Maybe eventually, if they keep putting out re-pops of the mold like they keep doing with the VF-25 kits.

The giant hinges do kill it pretty hard on the wings and tails, a lot like happened with the 1/72 VF-1 they made.  At least for this one it looks like they didn't try and completely redesign the transformation mechanisms.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

I get the feeling it was the other way around.

looking at the transformation in the legs and it looks like the parts below the hip section detach  and are needed for all three modes. I guess if you want to display it in each mode you still need three kits.

I imagine bandai's engineers putting together something (sticky tape(?)) to replace the parts-forming for HMR 😄

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I like it it - alot! I'll be getting a couple. Hoping we see the YF-21 next! 

I don't mind the parts-swapping...at least at this scale. Could you imagine trying to do a perfect transformation of a 1/100 YF-19
Hell, I have enough problem with the 1/48 Riobot Legioss...the YF-19 would be an utter mess.

A perfect transformation at 1/100 would likely need metal parts to stand the stress .. i dont thk bandai would do a perfect transformation at 1/100, but maybe as close as possible to a perfect transformation... would be interesting to see them attempt it for HMR plus (if ever)...

Edited by seti88

6 minutes ago, seti88 said:

I imagine bandai's engineers putting together something (sticky tape(?)) to replace the parts-forming for HMR 😄

A perfect transformation at 1/100 would likely need metal parts to stand the stress .. i dont thk bandai would do a perfect transformation at 1/100, but maybe as close as possible to a perfect transformation... would be interesting to see them attempt it for HMR plus (if ever)...

I don’t think they necessarily would need metal parts. The newer plastics they’ve been using are pretty tough. The problem is the joints in places like the arms and torso would be too fiddly and would work against itself and end up a goofy mess. At that size the challenge no matter the substance is that if you bend the elbow something else would move in the transformation gimmick although would be less annoying than the vf-19 kits from a while back 

11 minutes ago, Big s said:

Those extra pictures really gave me a lot of info. I can see that the hip has a ball jointed peg that plugs into what looks like a hinge to get some interesting articulation. The only question I have now is where and when do I preorder 

Looks like the hop joints have the ability to flare out so the legs have more bend clearance ..

really like this dynamic pose 🔥🔥

1801026511_4(1).jpg.dc4b63652bde131347a75f41784da737.jpg

bending down pose 👌

5.jpg.2a3daf7bb584f681ef7b9292b2846b76.jpg

missile leg parts also can open..👌

12.jpg.d5718220e53c8d3b342f8db3cc094b50.jpg

Yeah where is the pre-order button already! *1 year...plenty o time...🤪

18.jpg.15f3844e07f7b479cad792e1dfcb8240.jpg

Edited by seti88

23 minutes ago, Big s said:

Damn I misread that earlier and got excited thinking it came with waterslide decals. Well, at least they’re already planning on releasing them just wish bandai would include them

Bandai grants everyone wish by paying 'extra'. :spiteful:

1 minute ago, no3Ljm said:

Bandai grants everyone wish by paying 'extra'. :spiteful:

If I want all three modes displayed, then I gotta buy three kits and three sets of decals. And who knows how things will go with fast packs and decals with those and if those will be extras or full kits and if that will be web exclusive. Things are getting pricey for me. Maybe I’ll skip the fastpacks 

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Does this mean they are re-releasing the Plus bluray too?
My phone can't get a good enough capture for translation.

I think the advert says a 40th anniversary OVA + movie Bluray and DVD will go on sale 9/28. Along the left it indicates Amazon Prime streaming begins October 3? I'm assuming it's Japanese market, not the US/UK releases that were announced this summer and have yet to get firm release dates.

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Also, any MWW logo action anywhere? Is this new YF-19 going to be available at my local K-Mart?

Might be a bit of a toss-up, that. You see more and more Bandai kits in local stores nowadays, but it seems there's still some sort of legal snafu keeping OG Macross from making it here. Probably HG will demand that it be rebranded "Robotech" on the box art or... something.

49 minutes ago, Big s said:

Damn I misread that earlier and got excited thinking it came with waterslide decals. Well, at least they’re already planning on releasing them just wish bandai would include them

They included waterslides AND stickers with their Frontier and Delta kits. Come on, Bandai...

12 hours ago, Big s said:

Not sure, but it almost looks like you could have parts do display all 3 modes with 2 kits. Might be miss info a shield or rifle though. And not sure about connectors 

Almost... however, the legs/hips are the parts that are common across all three modes.

17 minutes ago, sketchley said:

Almost... however, the legs/hips are the parts that are common across all three modes.

Yeah, at the time I was looking at the parts lay out and the pictures looked like the legs were swapped out, but they’re definitely used in all modes. Definitely would need three kits to display them separately 

This looks like a solid offering by Bandai. Perfectly fine with "shortcut change", it was kind of expected and probably for the better as to not force ugly concessions on the different modes.

Battroid feels like it is going to be fun putting it in dynamic poses, just wished one could detach the cockpit area and somehow insert into the Battroid spine piece with a little egress hatch. That would have been a nice touch.

On the critical side...guess I would say the biggest drawback for me personally on the design is the feet, the do look a little off.
Maybe they aren't pushed in on these shots?

image.png.67f4e097f6932c78ee2a60740d182461.png

guess I answered my own question...it does slide a little in the foot...so hopefully we can tuck it right up there.
image.png.e2bd858699633707255aa39f19a2ffd8.png

41 minutes ago, Shawn said:

On the critical side...guess I would say the biggest drawback for me personally on the design is the feet, the do look a little off.
Maybe they aren't pushed in on these shots?

image.png.67f4e097f6932c78ee2a60740d182461.png

guess I answered my own question...it does slide a little in the foot...so hopefully we can tuck it right up there.
image.png.e2bd858699633707255aa39f19a2ffd8.png

It looks more like it rocks back and forth. The slide joints appear to be only for the knees to be able to bend in gerwalk 

1 hour ago, Big s said:

It looks more like it rocks back and forth. The slide joints appear to be only for the knees to be able to bend in gerwalk 

The 'core' of the foot looks like it slides up and down a bit (no idea how it doesn't pop off in the GERWALK pose).  Note how the front tawny plastic is "inside" the grey foot parts on the left image, but resting on top of the foot parts in the right image.

I don't think it's far enough to resolve the gap problem that Shawn was pointing out, though...

14 minutes ago, sketchley said:

The 'core' of the foot looks like it slides up and down a bit (no idea how it doesn't pop off in the GERWALK pose).  Note how the front tawny plastic is "inside" the grey foot parts on the left image, but resting on top of the foot parts in the right image.

I don't think it's far enough to resolve the gap problem that Shawn was pointing out, though...

Ok I see the ball joint at the bottom fits into a cylindrical hole that also allows it to slide in and out a little bit. It’s kinda hard to notice, but I see it now

Yep, it's just not gonna look all that great in Fighter mode. Aside from the gap, the size of the feet are way too big for Fighter mode. There's no helping it aside from replacing them entirely (which the engineering suggests will be easy enough to do, to be fair). And if you're going to replace the feet, you may as well get rid of the unsightly hinges on the tail fins as well... and slim down the legs and arms... and scale down the shoulders slightly... and make the wings bigger... You know what, I think I'll just leave it in battroid mode. :lol:

On 9/29/2022 at 9:45 PM, seti88 said:

missile leg parts also can open..👌

12.jpg.d5718220e53c8d3b342f8db3cc094b50.jpg

18 hours ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

Leg missile compartment would be nice 🤞, but i think that's more of a model to show parts/panel assembly. Otherwise I feel they should just show the missile compartment feature outright (it would be a highlight). 

Would definitely be nice, but it looks like there is absolutely no room in the leg for anything else.  

Also, that's the inside leg panel, not the missile bay.  They may have made those removable to make room for the arms in fighter mode.

Far as the feet are concerned though, yeah, Bandai has proven multiple times that it has no idea how the YF-19's feet should be shaped.  The closest they got was with the VF-19 Advance, but the toes were still way too massive.  I get that they like making the toes look nice and big in battroid, with a taller blocky heel, but it completely ruins the shape of the entire foot in fighter mode.  That heel in particular is really off-model, and looks more like something off one of the newer Frontier/Delta valks, rather than the flatter thrust vectoring paddles the YF-19 had.

Edited by Chronocidal

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Would definitely be nice, but it looks like there is absolutely no room in the leg for anything else.  

Also, that's the inside leg panel, not the missile bay.  They may have made those removable to make room for the arms in fighter mode.

Far as the feet are concerned though, yeah, Bandai has proven multiple times that it has no idea how the YF-19's feet should be shaped.  The closest they got was with the VF-19 Advance, but the toes were still way too massive.  I get that they like making the toes look nice and big in battroid, with a taller blocky heel, but it completely ruins the shape of the entire foot in fighter mode.  That heel in particular is really off-model, and looks more like something off one of the newer Frontier/Delta valks, rather than the flatter thrust vectoring paddles the YF-19 had.

The front of the foot doesn’t look bad in battroid or gerwalk and surprisingly the hollow spots follow pretty close to the art for the bottoms of the feet. The heels do look a bit on the chonky side though. There’s not as many scenes of the battroid from the back though and not many art pics, but it still looks a bit big there

19 hours ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

Leg missile compartment would be nice 🤞, but i think that's more of a model to show parts/panel assembly. Otherwise I feel they should just show the missile compartment feature outright (it would be a highlight). 

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Ah missed the fins being on the outer side of the leg in that pic! Mind went automatically with opening missile bays...hmm yeah not sure whats the point of showing that panel open, maybe just as a parts separation like mentioned...

Thanks all for the clarifications. 👍

• kajnrig changed the title to Bandai High Grade 1/100 YF-19 model kit

One thing I was wondering lately is where to order from since I live in the U.S. since this doesn’t appear to be a wwm item. There’s also the issue that Bandai doesn’t allow quite a few places to sell their kits to non Japanese customers. I know Hlj and Amiami do sales to here unlike hobby search and most of the rest. I’m guessing those two probably will allow sales, but just curious about options in case there’s a bigger than expected demand at hlj and amiami