Bandai High Grade 1/100 YF-19 model kit

kajnrig

Perhaps there is a scale assignment license issue going on...Hasegawa has the 1/48 and 1/72 plastic model lines locked for Plus, so Bandai can only get the 1/100 or other.
Keeps Hasegawa's competition in the primary scales away.

Just a guess.

n/m....Bandai and Hasegawa had some overlaps with their Delta kits (like the 1/72 sv262) so it has to be something else

2 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Hobby Japan article with big pics. The details look excellent.

https://hjweb.jp/article/754275/

Thanks for that.

I've put the assembly of my SHE kit on hold until seeing how this kit is going to achieve transformation. If there are no swappable parts, or not significant at least, I may prefer Bandai's offering

4 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Thanks for that.

I've put the assembly of my SHE kit on hold until seeing how this kit is going to achieve transformation. If there are no swappable parts, or not significant at least, I may prefer Bandai's offering

At 1/100, I’m pretty sure it’s gonna have part swapping. I can’t say for sure yet, but it shouldn’t be too long before we get answers 

11 hours ago, Shawn said:

Perhaps there is a scale assignment license issue going on...Hasegawa has the 1/48 and 1/72 plastic model lines locked for Plus, so Bandai can only get the 1/100 or other.

Just a guess.

n/m....Bandai and Hasegawa had some overlaps with their Delta kits (like the 1/72 sv262) so it has to be something else

Remember, Bandai usually targets the demographic that has never touched a model kit in life or the demographic that has only ever built Bandai model kits.  This scale represents the the one that would give the price point and size combination that new users will want to try out.  Those who also participate within the star wars modeling community will also recognize, most of that user base has wondered why Bandai only produces 1/72 and 1/144 or smaller scale star wars kits.  It simply matches the market being targeted.

On 9/25/2022 at 7:55 AM, Shawn said:

Just a guess.

Erm ... that is not how things work, else we wouldn't have that much 1/72 F-14s out there. You go to the license holder and request specifically what you want to do. So Bandai basically talked to big west about making a 1/100 YF-19 kit and big west said "okay, pay this and this much, and you are offically allowed to do it".

When it comes to Bootleg kits, you can recreate the likeliness of something, but are not allowed to lable it with the franchise names etc., at least that is how I remember it being in the past. Specifically in Germany, they came up with a "3D Copyright", making it impossible for anyone in Germany to create kits like this.

2 hours ago, Urashiman said:

Erm ... that is not how things work, else we wouldn't have that much 1/72 F-14s out there. You go to the license holder and request specifically what you want to do. So Bandai basically talked to big west about making a 1/100 YF-19 kit and big west said "okay, pay this and this much, and you are offically allowed to do it".

When it comes to Bootleg kits, you can recreate the likeliness of something, but are not allowed to lable it with the franchise names etc., at least that is how I remember it being in the past. Specifically in Germany, they came up with a "3D Copyright", making it impossible for anyone in Germany to create kits like this.

That kinda is how it worked. Imai and aari had certain items one company could do in 1/72 scale or 1/100. Nichimo did most of the smaller scale stuff. Supposedly it was due to the licensing agreements one company got versus others the other got. Even more recently Bandai had to deal with other companies that got agreements over Star Wars, both in kits and for a bit over the issue of selling 1/12 character kits versus hasbro and their black series figures.

on this particular case Bandai may have been the ones that picked the scale, since their item is transformable or at least partsformable, they could’ve possibly gone the 1/72 route. They did do 1/72 transforming kits of subjects that hasegawa did of non transforming ones like the VF-1

as far as real world models, I don’t know that companies like Grumman or Boeing know or care that much about giving exclusive rights to produce something like a model kit in a specific scale to specific model kit companies 

15 hours ago, Big s said:

on this particular case Bandai may have been the ones that picked the scale, since their item is transformable or at least partsformable, they could’ve possibly gone the 1/72 route. They did do 1/72 transforming kits of subjects that hasegawa did of non transforming ones like the VF-1

This is the part that baffles me.  There's been no limitation on them doubling up on the 1/72 kits to this point, which either means the licensing got screwy, or Bandai intentionally handicapped themselves into making a worse product... because let's face it, going to 1/100 is making one of the most complex valk transformations just that much more difficult.

You can see from the parts photos that they've already crippled the painting process by molding half of the pilot into the cockpit.  Even their 1/100 VF-25 and VF-29 non-transforming kits didn't go that far.  It's bad enough painting a 1/100 pilot (and let's face it, this is Bandai, so it's actually more like 1/120, because they have no sense of scale for pilot figures), but now you have to paint the pilot's arms and lower torso already molded into the seat and consoles. <_< 

Edit:  Actually scratch the entire full transformation gimmick idea, you can see from the parts trees that it has to parts-swap the torso.  They molded everything from the nose sensors inside the nosecone back to the full spine as a single piece.  I guess I never really had that much hope, but no, they can't do a perfect transformation at this scale.

I guess all they wanted to do was make a modern take on their old 3-mode Macross 7 kits. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Chronocidal

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

This is the part that baffles me.  There's been no limitation on them doubling up on the 1/72 kits to this point, which either means the licensing got screwy, or Bandai intentionally handicapped themselves into making a worse product... because let's face it, going to 1/100 is making one of the most complex valk transformations just that much more difficult.

You can see from the parts photos that they've already crippled the painting process by molding half of the pilot into the cockpit.  Even their 1/100 VF-25 and VF-29 non-transforming kits didn't go that far.  It's bad enough painting a 1/100 pilot (and let's face it, this is Bandai, so it's actually more like 1/120, because they have no sense of scale for pilot figures), but now you have to paint the pilot's arms and lower torso already molded into the seat and consoles. <_< 

Edit:  Actually scratch the entire full transformation gimmick idea, you can see from the parts trees that it has to parts-swap the torso.  They molded everything from the nose sensors inside the nosecone back to the full spine as a single piece.  I guess I never really had that much hope, but no, they can't do a perfect transformation at this scale.

I guess all they wanted to do was make a modern take on their old 3-mode Macross 7 kits. :rolleyes: 

When it was announced, I kinda figured it more than likely would partsform. I personally really just care how it looks more than the transformation gimmick. If it does look good, I’ll probably just get three kits to display in each mode. Even with gundam kits I really don’t care much for transformation. On a model I feel it’s too fragile or just finicky. Or the big issue is that they make the sacrifice of one mode looking good and another is meh at best. The newer Valkyries are definitely more suited for good looking transformations, but still seem a bit finicky 

On 9/26/2022 at 1:31 PM, Big s said:

That kinda is how it worked. Imai and aari had certain items one company could do in 1/72 scale or 1/100. Nichimo did most of the smaller scale stuff. Supposedly it was due to the licensing agreements one company got versus others the other got. Even more recently Bandai had to deal with other companies that got agreements over Star Wars, both in kits and for a bit over the issue of selling 1/12 character kits versus hasbro and their black series figures.

as far as real world models, I don’t know that companies like Grumman or Boeing know or care that much about giving exclusive rights to produce something like a model kit in a specific scale to specific model kit companies 

Hasegawa, Max Factory and Bandai have 1/72 VF-1s

Wave and Bandai have 1/100 VF-1s

Hasegawa and Bandai both have 1/72 VF-25s, VF-31s and SV-262s.

What I am saying is, it depends on what the License holder would allow.

9 hours ago, Urashiman said:

Hasegawa, Max Factory and Bandai have 1/72 VF-1s

Wave and Bandai have 1/100 VF-1s

Hasegawa and Bandai both have 1/72 VF-25s, VF-31s and SV-262s.

What I am saying is, it depends on what the License holder would allow.

Yeah, but the products are mostly different depending on the company. Hasegawa does non transforming vf-25 while Bandai has a transforming one . Wave has a non transforming 1/100 vf-1 kit while Bandai has a transforming hmr toy.  It’s sort of like an odd agreement that a certain type of product can be produced by a certain company. It’s very similar though more complicated to the old days with arii, nichimo and imai.

5 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

They went about it basically how I expected them to do. Focus on battroid mode, Gerwalk looks slightly funky, Fighter looks very funky.

I still would have preferred just three standalone renditions, but I'd be lying if I said my interest hasn't been piqued...

It is kinda strange that it’s almost a whole other kit for the fighter, yet the fighter looks so odd. Not odd enough for me to get it though 

1 minute ago, seti88 said:

bandai testing the waters/ prepping the base mold for HMR perhaps?

I get the feeling it was the other way around.

looking at the transformation in the legs and it looks like the parts below the hip section detach  and are needed for all three modes. I guess if you want to display it in each mode you still need three kits.

If they were gonna do partsforming they should have committed to it fully instead of still ruining it with half-assed transformations bits elsewhere. The joints of the wings to the side of the engine intakes, the gaps in the knees looks atrocious and the proportions are still off all over...

Welp, here's hoping Hasegawa or Wave or PLAMAX or Aoshima or who ever aside from Bandai that actually cares about the design instead of the gimmicks gets around to making a proper purely Battroid VF-19 kit some years down the line.

I like it it - alot! I'll be getting a couple. Hoping we see the YF-21 next! 

I don't mind the parts-swapping...at least at this scale. Could you imagine trying to do a perfect transformation of a 1/100 YF-19
Hell, I have enough problem with the 1/48 Riobot Legioss...the YF-19 would be an utter mess.

Does this mean they are re-releasing the Plus bluray too?
My phone can't get a good enough capture for translation.

Also, any MWW logo action anywhere? Is this new YF-19 going to be available at my local K-Mart?

image.png.ff6f38d24b65d17de5003452116e00bf.png