Optimus Prime

1 VF-1 2NV

Hey I jsut had a great idea. Get one of the new World's Smallest Transformer Wave 2 Megatrons and use it for the 20th. Hopefully it will be the same size and yet transform!!! I knwo the toy wont have the sliding grip to accomodate optimus hand But if it transformes liek the original the whole grip will come down.

I'm having real trouble finding the Hasbro version in the east Bay Area, California. Nothing at Target (except the shelf label) and nothing at Walmart.

I'd prefer paying $60-$70 rather than the $75 its going for online at amazon.

Anyone have links for a decent online price OR somewhere in the Bay Area I can find it?

I'm having real trouble finding the Hasbro version in the east Bay Area, California. Nothing at Target (except the shelf label) and nothing at Walmart.

I'd prefer paying $60-$70 rather than the $75 its going for online at amazon.

Anyone have links for a decent online price OR somewhere in the Bay Area I can find it?

take that shelf label, and ask the customer service lady to scan it. they'll print up a list of target stores in that area that have the toy in stock! little trick I learned from solscud.

Hey I jsut had a great idea. Get one of the new World's Smallest Transformer Wave 2 Megatrons and use it for the 20th. Hopefully it will be the same size and yet transform!!! I knwo the toy wont have the sliding grip to accomodate optimus hand But if it transformes liek the original the whole grip will come down.

Heh, I've been planning to stick the WST Megs in Prime's hand since I first saw it. Hopefully it will fit, and hopefully it's still a part of Wave 2. Recent pics of Wave 2 have been void of Megs, so I'm a little worried.

Heh, I've been planning to stick the WST Megs in Prime's hand since I first saw it. Hopefully it will fit, and hopefully it's still a part of Wave 2. Recent pics of Wave 2 have been void of Megs, so I'm a little worried.

Yeah I have noticed that too. It seems they might have replaced that with the Ultra Magnus Cab ie white Optimus/Convoy

YAY!!! I found one on my first try at finding one!! I found the black gun version at walmart in monrovia and there was only two left. They also had smokescreen and sideswipe there, but I wasn't interested in those. So now I just need to order them long stacks and everything will be good! :p:D:lol:

Thought I would bring this topic out from the dead.

Does anybody in the Southern California area know where to get a prime anymore. I went to the brand new target store opening on La Brea and Santa Monica and the prime was sold out the day before it opened. Apparently, they had friends of employees get first crack at merchendise the night before and the Primes were sold out in an instant.

I'm not too worried, but I just hope the prime will be released like Unicron. At first he was impossible to find for me, but now Unicron is readily available everywhere. Is the 20th prime going to be limited release, or will what happened to Unicron happen to Prime? I know smokescreens were hard to find at first, but they are everywhere now too. Anyone with info, please help.

:)

Does anybody in the Southern California area know where to get a prime anymore. I went to the brand new target store opening on La Brea and Santa Monica and the prime was sold out the day before it opened. Apparently, they had friends of employees get first crack at merchendise the night before and the Primes were sold out in an instant.

I'm not too worried, but I just hope the prime will be released like Unicron. At first he was impossible to find for me, but now Unicron is readily available everywhere. Is the 20th prime going to be limited release, or will what happened to Unicron happen to Prime? I know smokescreens were hard to find at first, but they are everywhere now too. Anyone with info, please help.

prime is limited 20th aniverssay figure. I got the takara version myself.

well, if you don't mind the color of the gun, I'd say go to a walmart and look for one. I found two this past sunday at the walmart in monrovia on my first try. I bought one of course and the other just sat on the upper shelf. It seems the black gun versions are only at walmart and the grey ones are target and toys r us. My optimus also came with an exclusive poster as well. I don't know if the grey gun version comes with the poster or not. At least I haven't heard anybody say anything about it. Good luck in the search. :p:D:lol:

I got mine last week at wal-mart. Now it seems both the qwal-marts we go to regularly have them in stock and they aren't moving. At last notice there were at least 6 between the two stores. My wife was a little mad i spent that much money on something that was supposed to be rare and now they are plentiful. This always happens to me with toy collectibles.

P.S.

These wal-marts are in O'fallon, IL and Belleville, IL which is the st.louis area.

I haven't looked here in Oregon yet, chances are maybe the Walmart in Holgate will have him, I'll check it out on Friday after work, if it doesn't, I'll go the Woodburn VERY doubtful they'll have it though....VERY...

I was on the fence about getting one of these but low and behold last night while stopping in a Wal-Mart in Kirkwood (a store I never shop at due to it's distance from my home, but it was close to the resturant we ate at) after dinner with my fiancee to pick up some milk. I stumbled down the toy isle to check and see if they perchance had some 12" Joe accessory packs and when I was diving through their joe toys my fiancee walked up behind me and said "look at this bigass honkin' thing" and proceeded to show me a 20th Optimus.

Needless to say, I was impressed. Bought it right there on the spot.

But now that I have gotten it home (and done the necessary dismantling of the box to even get the thing out) I'm not that impressed with it. Yes it has the shock dealies and the heft but the arms are all but unposable, the hands loose grip instantly and he drops his guns in minutes, the legs really only have one or two poses and so on and so forth and whosits with the whatsits...

... about the only thing that has impressed me on this toy is the tiny Megatron walther that takes down... admittedly some of the gimmicks like the light up matrix thing got a snicker when I first pushed the button and the jabber-jaw mouth button action is just plain goofy.

All in all it's a decent toy I guess... maybee I was expecting a whole lot more for my $65. As far as toys on american shelves go it is one of the best ones I've seen but Prime is just not doing it for me... now I see why I did not buy one sooner when they first came out, turns out I'm just not as big a Transfan as I thought I could potentially be.

I haven't looked here in Oregon yet, chances are maybe the Walmart in Holgate will have him, I'll check it out on Friday after work, if it doesn't, I'll go the Woodburn VERY doubtful they'll have it though....VERY...

Well you know that merphies law that says what your looking for is always in the last place you look, well here in GrantsPass Oregon at the Walmart we just got a brand new shipment of about 30 MPC Primes with black guns.

Also you guys did not tell me how cool this thing is I almost hate to take it out of it's box it looks so sweet and its huge, a lot bigger than I thought. :D But now I'm out 60.00 buck :(

20th Prime has finally made his way down to normal chain retailers (Target, K-mart) here in Australia.

Interesting that he was automatically discounted by $15Aus to a average price of $129.95Aus though....

Cyc

Doh,

I went to the walmarts, targets, and TRU in my area and couldn't find one. I think toy collectors and scaplers are buying them up hoping for them to go up in value. Of course, sounds like there will be plenty in a couple of weeks at least I hope so. Thanks for the info for everyone who posted.

Doh,

I went to the walmarts, targets, and TRU in my area and couldn't find one. I think toy collectors and scaplers are buying them up hoping for them to go up in value. Of course, sounds like there will be plenty in a couple of weeks at least I hope so. Thanks for the info for everyone who posted.

In what area exactly are you looking in? I've been hearing people finding one left and right everywhere in the valley. I know for sure that places in LA are like wiped out but it seems like everywhere else seems to have them in stock. :p:D:lol:

. I think toy collectors and scaplers are buying them up hoping for them to go up in value.

they should be shot. Trying to make a buck on a toy,,,remember tickle me Elmo, that makes me sick

Where in the valley? I went to the walmart past sherman way and they had none. I went to TRU and Target in Burbank and came up with squat. I do hear of people getting them, but where?

ok, try the walmart in porter ranch / northridge. A friend of mine bought his there just recently and right after that, he went next door to toys r us and bought the grey gun version as well. If you don't mind the drive, go out to the wal mart in monrovia. I've always been able to find what I needed at that one for some reason. It's like nobody goes there. Also on your way there, you can stop buy the two targets on colorado street in pasadena. Another friend of mine said he saw both stores have it there. Good luck in the search. I'm still looking for another one for my friend. I'll let you know if I find another one. I'll hide it for you. hehe :p:D:lol:

. I think toy collectors and scaplers are buying them up hoping for them to go up in value.

they should be shot. Trying to make a buck on a toy,,,remember tickle me Elmo, that makes me sick

It seems that the primes aren't be that rare. If they were, the prices should have skyrocketed by now.

I was on the fence about getting one of these but low and behold last night while stopping in a Wal-Mart in Kirkwood (a store I never shop at due to it's distance from my home, but it was close to the resturant we ate at) after dinner with my fiancee to pick up some milk. I stumbled down the toy isle to check and see if they perchance had some 12" Joe accessory packs and when I was diving through their joe toys my fiancee walked up behind me and said "look at this bigass honkin' thing" and proceeded to show me a 20th Optimus.

But now that I have gotten it home (and done the necessary dismantling of the box to even get the thing out) I'm not that impressed with it. Yes it has the shock dealies and the heft but the arms are all but unposable, the hands loose grip instantly and he drops his guns in minutes, the legs really only have one or two poses and so on and so forth and whosits with the whatsits...

... about the only thing that has impressed me on this toy is the tiny Megatron walther that takes down... admittedly some of the gimmicks like the light up matrix thing got a snicker when I first pushed the button and the jabber-jaw mouth button action is just plain goofy.

All in all it's a decent toy I guess... maybee I was expecting a whole lot more for my $65. As far as toys on american shelves go it is one of the best ones I've seen but Prime is just not doing it for me... now I see why I did not buy one sooner when they first came out, turns out I'm just not as big a Transfan as I thought I could potentially be.

By this point it seems to me that you should have known every last tiny detail about the toy. What exactly were you expecting that led you to be so let down? Just curious.

That sounds very odd, sounds like they are trying to run the molds for too long. Im sure the Hasbro molds are a direct copy of the Takara versions. I really dont think they would be ussing the same molds. I havent had any problems with the takara version as far as loose hands and such, getting it out of the box is the only thing im going to complain about. down right rediculous, anywho, hope you didnt get a lemon. Take it back and get another one and see how that one works

By this point it seems to me that you should have known every last tiny detail about the toy. What exactly were you expecting that led you to be so let down? Just curious.

I was expecting a highly posable high quality robot toy and instead I got a poorly made brick. I should state once again that I am not a transformers fan, never liked them and never will. I bought the toy based on the impression that it would be unlike the other unposable brick transformers. Plus all the hype and talk surrounding it got my interest up more than any other transformers toy. I'm not trying to say I have unrealistic expectations of toys but other transforming toys I own like my yamato 1/48s at least have posable arms that can hit poses you you want like two arm weapon carry. Here is the short list of why I'm not liking this toy:

The toy's plastic quality in places is sub par IMHO compared to the workmanship that went into other parts. The plated plastic pieces like the smoke stacks, the shock parts and others look like they came off of a revell camaro model kit parts tree complete with flash still on some parts. The plastic used for the grey parts, most noticable in the upper legs, looks pearescent and cheap compared to some of the other plastic parts.

Why in the world did they color the button for the light up matrix blue? It should have been red so it would blend in with the cab.

The hand units on my toy are very loose and the fingers let go far too easily. I stared at one of the hands for a while and found that it is once again the fault of the plastic. It would appear the holes for the roll pin that goes through the fingers is just a wee bit too large or it has worn down to the point that the fingers flip freely on it. This toy was NIB so I can only assume this is some sort of factory glitch.

The posibility... or more precisely the lack thereof. This thing is one giant brick. I have had it for a few days now and tried to pose it in various action poses only to have the poorly positioned ratcheting joints in the legs not allow any leg pose but two: standing straight up and a very strange looking one leg sort of forward pose. The arms are just as bad... more accurately the shoulders and elbow designs are bad. In order to move the arms in a way other than old school star wars guy spinning you have to pull the arm out which makes this huge extention in the shoulder that is wobbly and looks terrible. And even in this extended position the shoulder is still not very posable. The elbows are a victim of thier little shock system and they will not bend more than 45 degrees up or down. Couple this with the poor shoulder and you get the T-Rex effect: the arms are almost immoble and any pose requiring both hands on the weapon or another held item looks clunky and unnatural.

It seems to me they spent so much time on the gimmick parts like the shocks and the matrix in the chest that they ignored a few important things in my book. If they were making this toy to resemble the old school anime Prime then why didn't the wheels on the legs fold up? Why are all these shocks on the toy that are never seen in the show? Seems to me if they had not gone for all the gimmicks the toy could have had better posability and looks in both modes. Once again I am not a transformers fan so I'm looking at this thing from a position of what kind of toy it is to me... and to me it is a large, nice looking, gimmick riddled unposable brick. I'd sell it if the package it came in was not totally mangled getting it out and if it's resale value had not totally tanked after taking it out.

Why in the world did they color the button for the light up matrix blue? It should have been red so it would blend in with the cab.

Yep, that seals it. You are definitely not a Transformers fan. :lol:

Sorry you didn't like it, JSA... but I wouldn't expect anyone to love this toy based upon it's merit... it's a big transforming truck, when you take out the "fan" appeal.

The only thing I could tell you is to pick up an original Prime, hold in your hand for 20 years, fall in love with the cartoon, comics, etc... then go buy the Masterpiece.

It comes off much better that way. ;)

Your review basically amounts to a non-Macross-loving Transformer fan's view of the Yamato 1/48... they just don't get it.

Edited by Blaine23

the shock parts and others look like they came off of a revell camaro model kit parts tree complete with flash still on some parts.

I see you had the same camaro kit as I

I seriuosly think you got a factory problem ridden one like I said before. as far as posability, it takes a while to get any good type of pose off him. Youll find the ratchets dont ratchet where thier supposed too (needs to be like in between). Personally I would take it back to the store, Im sure they will at least give you store credit

I'm not a Tranny and I love my Prime. I seriously don't know what positions Js is trying to get Prime into :p , but it has all the required joints to make it superposeable. Look how far the knee can bend. It could make Monica Lewinski drip with envy. I can't say much for the Hasbro version because I just have the Takara, but I thought they were similar in quality. You seriously want to get rid of it Js? PM me the price. Maybe I can rescue that poor lunk...

This has got to be the first time I wholeheartedly disagree with Js.... my world falls apart... :(;)

Edited by >EXO<