R.I.P. Nichelle Nichols (Uhura TOS)

From FoxNews:

"Star Trek" actress Nichelle Nichols died on Sunday, according to a post shared by her son Kyle on her official Facebook page. She was 89.

"I regret to inform you that a great light in the firmament no longer shines for us as it has for so many years," he wrote. 

"Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away. Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration."

Nichols was known for playing Lieutenant Nyota Uhura on all three seasons of the original show, which ran from 1966-69. She also starred in each of the six "Star Trek" films from 1971 through 1991.

More:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/star-trek-actress-nichelle-nichols-dead-89

950470298_NichelleNicholsTribute2022.jpg.e67157ee59673f3112475d8f0004197a.jpg

Edited by pengbuzz

Nichelle wasn't just a tv star, a movie star, or a role model; she made literal history against the backdrop of bigotry and stereotyping not only of women's perceived roles, but black women's roles in American society in the 60s. On the Enterprise's bridge, Nichelle was smart, competent, courageous, dedicated, strong, and beautiful; she was an ever-present beacon for women, especially Black women, to look up to and emulate. In and out of uniform, Nichelle was a hero to many, and I wish her fond farewell. RIP

10 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Nichelle wasn't just a tv star, a movie star, or a role model; she made literal history against the backdrop of bigotry and stereotyping not only of women's perceived roles, but black women's roles in American society in the 60s. On the Enterprise's bridge, Nichelle was smart, competent, courageous, dedicated, strong, and beautiful; she was an ever-present beacon for women, especially Black women, to look up to and emulate. In and out of uniform, Nichelle was a hero to many, and I wish her fond farewell. RIP

Amen. RIP.

• azrael locked this topic