I'm rewatching the Macross Frontier TV series!

Gamma00Ray

It looks like it's been so long since there was a Macross Frontier TV series topic. I went looking back to 2015 or so and found this oddly interesting shipping topic. But, it's not a Macross Frontier TV series topic! So here we are!

I just finished the Macross Zero episode. Sheryl looks lovely in that bikini :wub: I'm enjoying the additional stuff this time around after recently watching the Frontier movies in the theater. I completely forgot about all of the high school drama in the TV series. I also noticed a bit of reused Sheryl concert animation which was a little surprising but I'm not going to complain because it's Sheryl concert animation! 🤣 I like the fast paced and impactful Valkyrie combat especially compared to the dancing stuff in the Delta movie I also recently watched. Not that I didn't enjoy that Delta stuff, but Frontier keeps it a bit more serious which speaks to my inner 12 year old watching Robotech for the first time in 1998. I'm also finding the subplot between, I believe it was Michel, and Klan to be interesting. I'm excited to see how their relationship progresses over the remaining episodes. I'm especially intrigued by Klan. She's adorable in miclone state, too!

I'll probably watch one more episode tonight to finish out the second blu ray. This is probably going to be my last time watching this version of the series since Rightstuf/Nozomi now has the license, and I'm super down for the US release!

And, well, I want more Sheryl! 😍

I rewatched that when I was making my own DVD set. Really hoping an official one comes out cause the visuals are lacking a bit with the one I made.

Personally, I think Frontier is the best of all the Macross series, but that is nudging out the original series on only one front. The only thing that would put the original back in the top slot is if they modernized the animation.

21 hours ago, Thom said:

I rewatched that when I was making my own DVD set. Really hoping an official one comes out cause the visuals are lacking a bit with the one I made.

Personally, I think Frontier is the best of all the Macross series, but that is nudging out the original series on only one front. The only thing that would put the original back in the top slot is if they modernized the animation.

Mine is a blu ray set, and it's also... well, if I said it was sailing the seven seas... :D It's actually very well done, but the video is a little aliased. I wonder if the show was done in 720p since it is from way back in 2007. Either way, I'm down for the official US release. I like my current set, but I'll go legit when the time comes.

I think about the same thing regarding Original vs. Frontier. The "music is the weapon" angle really is something very different from the original Macross that puts it in a different category, IMO. I really liked the more conventional flight combat with transforming mechs focus of the original series (and Robotech) a lot. I don't think I would have gotten into Frontier with its music focus when I was 12.

Except for Macross 7. That one's my absolute favorite Macross of all time :D I'm not even joking even though it's funny :D

I just finished disc 3 earlier today. It was good, but I feel like they're dragging out the situation with Sheryl too much. And this second half of the series, I think I'm liking the movie version better which was largely a different story anyway. Not that I dislike the TV version. Far from it. But that second movie to me is consistent with all characters involved and impactful the entire time.

Frontier is probably the best Macross series to date.  It had everything.  Engaging characters, amazing mechanical designs, a fascinating and incredibly detailed setting, fantastic music, and a lot of references and nods to past titles while remaining completely accessible to new viewers.

In my book, its only major flaw was that its love triangle was pretty uneven.  Ranka got almost no play in the series version, and in the movies they had to make her a childhood friend of Alto's so that they didn't have to introduce her AND Sheryl in the space of the same movie.  Ranka got so little screen time compared to Sheryl, and spent most of it just complaining at Alto, that it felt like a bit of a foregone conclusion that Alto chose Sheryl in the end.

I have just a couple episodes left. I'll watch them tomorrow or Saturday. I hope the last couple episodes have a bombastic finish like the end of the second movie. I feel like the Ozma and what's-her-name being on the run thing isn't as good as Sheryl goes to prison and then they have a FIRE BOMBER concert with Alto as a gothic lolita. While the TV series has been more character driven, the movie is more "truly outrageous!" and impactful more often.

So, I just finished the TV series. It was good. Nothing really wrong with it, especially the ending. But compared to the second movie, it can't compete in my opinion. It's not the TV series's fault. The second movie was just that spectacular. I thought the big duet at the end was better and done with way more feeling in the second movie, too.

All in all, I'm glad I watched the TV series again. I'm looking forward to whatever comes of that short film that's going to be part of the second Delta movie that's coming to blu ray next month.