Bublegum Crisis being re-released

areaseven

Let's talk about Bubblegum Crisis - one of the titles that got most of us into anime. Not the watered-down '90s remake by AIC; this thread is a tribute to the eight-episode OAV series released from 1987 to 1990. To start off, here's a question: What do you remember most about Bubblegum Crisis?

For me, I think the music stands out among everything in the OAV. I love Kenichi Sonoda's character & Hard Suit designs, but the songs by Kinuko Omori (Priss) and the Knight Sabers completely define the series, especially the first episode's fast-paced opening "Konya wa Hurricane." I could play the Bubblegum Crisis Complete Vocal Collection discs on my CD changer without getting tired of them.

My favorite thing about BGC is the fact that the motoslaves look like actual street bikes in motorcycle mode. Not to mention how elegant they are in robot mode. The designs are flawless.

Voted for Priss.

Have yet to get the BGMs...

Voted for Linna. She's always been the one I've been able to identify with most (as she is the most mundane). And I like her fighting style -- classy.

Priss always struck me as a little too edgy and sharp -- which is correct for her character. She's just a powerhouse/ brute force in combat.

Nene is too much of a pain in the posterior. Sylia just ain't human. :)

BGC, the music is what makes the show. The mecha, story and music combines to make an excellent show, but after repeated viewing, it's really the music that is memorable.

What do I remember most about Bubblegum Crisis? The D.D. battlemover! Only one of the several gorgeous pieces of mecha to strut in BGC.

The music? Yeah, it rocks, even the background music (especially in eps. 5&6) is good.

I also remember how the art got progressively better with every episode...then they ran out of funding and it ended with part 8 which felt like a "filler" episode :(

Whoops, my vote goes to the ever-elegant Linna. Despite her name, Priss is too much of an "ape-woman", Sylia is too cold, and Nene...has pink hair.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

I voted for Linna because I like her combat style better than Priss'. Taking advantage of her hardsuits faster nature and quicker reflexes to get the job done, up close and personal like.

The hardsuits are some of the best mecha designs ever, an elegant mix of form and functionality.

The music rocks as well, and I even like the English songs. No, put those pointy knives away. The english songs aren't that bad.

:lol:

I also remember how the art got progressively better with every episode...then they ran out of funding and it ended with part 8 which felt like a "filler" episode  :(

Animation-wise, the peak point of the series was during eps. 5-6 (directed by Masami Obari). Episode 7 was okay, but there were countless animation errors that would make the Anime Friend staff smile.

It's also interesting to see what the staff members did after BGC:

Episodes 1-3

Katsuhito Akiyama went on to direct Sol Bianca 1-2 and Bastard!!. Perhaps his high point was Battle Athletes Victory while his low point was Armitage: Dual-Matrix.

Episode 4

Hiroki Hayashi became more famous for directing the first Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OAV series and some of its side stories. He also went on to direct 2040 and contribute to AIC's more recent titles like Battle Athletes and The Legend of Black Heaven.

Episodes 5-6

During the 1990s, Masami Obari was all over the anime industry. After attaining success with Space Knight Tekkaman Blade (1992-1993) and Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture in 1994, Obari's career started going downhill. Apparently, Fatal Fury caused him to abuse other gaming franchises such as Battle Arena Toshinden and Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer. Aside from other anime titles such as Platinumhugen Ordian and Chojuushin Gravion (*Watches DestroidsRage cringe in disgust.*), Obari also worked on the hentai OAV Angel Blade.

Yuiko Tsubokura, who performed the ending themes for episodes 5-6, is part of the group Pipeline Project. They did the opening and ending themes for the 2002 anime series Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Episode 7

Director Fumihiko Takayama didn't do much other than this episode and Mobile Suit Gundam 0080. While he directed Orguss II, that title didn't meet a lot of expectations. His most recent works include screenplays for RahXephon and Gunparade March, as well as directing WXIII: Patlabor The Movie.

Staff members Kinji Yoshimoto and Satoshi Urushibara went on to do Plastic Little and Legend of Lemnear.

Episode 8

Director Hiroaki Gohda and animation director/character designer Hidenori Matsubara became involved with more groundbreaking titles. Both men are known for the Ah! My Goddess OAV series (1994-1995) and movie (2000). Gohda did character designs for Please Teacher! and Onegai Twins, while Matsubara collaborated with Kousuke Fujishima (Ah! My Goddess, You're Under Arrest) on character designs for the Sakura Wars game and anime series.

Edited by areaseven

Episode 4

Hiroki Hayashi became more famous for directing the first Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OAV series and some of its side stories.

Oddly enough Tenchi Muyo originated from a rejected story idea for BGC, where the four Knight Saber girls went to a hot springs.

I'm a huge Bubblegum Crisis fan. It was the first real anime I ever saw, and still one of my most favorite to this day. A few years ago I managed to pick up the BGC B-Club special for the low-low price of $50. I've never seen the newer series, and nor do I want to.

And the AD Police manga rocks.

Voted Priss, I like my girls "straight Forward" and a bit wild

Guess it's the Music I Remember best

(having it in my playlist -with Winamp on repeat- helps ;) )

Konya wa Hurricane, Mad Machine(Up there with New Dominion Tank Police's "Just before the Time")

Lucky enough, with the boxset I bought was a DVD of Hurricane Live

Damn shame the series was never finished the way it should have

I got into BGC via a friend who had a copy of the music videos. That was it. But damn was it good enough for me!!!

Certain scenes of the animation failed to work at all, which kind of stinks.

But I agree that one of the best animated mecha sequences was DD... the whole juxtaposition of that things walking worked so damned well.

I gotta go with Priss simply because of the musician aspect.

BGC is one of my favorites of all time.

I paid $60.00 for the first OVA back in 1990.

I just wish Animeigo would fix the DVDs and re-release them. :D

The opening concert of the first OAV. Sing, ya monkeys!:

"Konya wa Hurricane!" :lol:

I first saw Bubblegum Crisis just after getting into anime, and it was the first subtitled anime I ever saw. It completely blew me away. A lot of UK anime fans of the same era have strong feelings for this series, it was probably the first series in the UK that was treated like releases now are expected to be, and bear in mind that it cost £25 per single tape in those days...! ( and yes, I was one of those who shelled out for the whole series, though the price did come down later, and I also later bought the DVD version, plus the first soundtrack and a sceensaver! ).

BTW, I always liked Revenge Road, too.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

What's broken with them? I always go and look at that set and think I should buy it, but never do. Should I not?

I bought vol. 1 on DVD around three years ago. The disc suffers from a lot of problems:

- Horrid DVD menu design.

- Crappy DVD-ROM features (crashes every computer using it).

- Video transfer looks like it was taken from the VHS version.

- Japanese audio needs improvement. English audio is much worse.

Overall, it looks no better than a HK bootleg. Hell, my VHS copies of the laserdiscs look 10 times better than the DVD.

At this year's Anime Expo, I talked to an AnimEigo representative about the possibility of releasing a remastered version of BGC. He said that M2K currently holds the DVD rights and as soon as their license expires, AnimEigo will probably work on remastering the series.

I'll just wait for that day...

I'm a huge Bubblegum Crisis fan. It was the first real anime I ever saw, and still one of my most favorite to this day. A few years ago I managed to pick up the BGC B-Club special for the low-low price of $50. I've never seen the newer series, and nor do I want to.

Wow. You got lucky, I paid $100 for mine.

I remember when I first stumbled across BGC in a video store. I was just beginning to discover anime, which was not an easy thing to do in Portland, Maine. I was blown away by the first episode. I rented the entire series as I was able to find them in the store.

My fav episode is still #6 - Red Eyes. I love it when it seems that Priss is about to be squashed, and the Typhoon 2 motoslave containing her back up suit arrives. It was just very cool to me to think that mecha like that would be so autonomous to be able to operate the way it did. The other thing is that it looks cool........

:D

BGC will always be high on my list of most favorite anime. I still have all the episodes on VHS in the nice plastic clamshell covers. Have to admit that I have been curious about the newer series.

Have to admit that I have been curious about the newer series.

A few notes about BGC 2040:

- While the animation is better, the violence level is severely watered-down. I forgot who broadcasted this series in Japan, but I bet it's TV Tokyo (the same people that didn't want blood on NOIR).

- BGC's strongest point was its music. Apparently, 2040's weakest point is its music. (And don't get me started with Akira Sudo's remake of "Konya Wa Hurricane.")

- 2040 changed the character traits to a point where many of them are hardly recognizable. Priss is a quiet schizoid unlike the original's spunky, hotheaded chick we've all grown to love. Sylia is a rampaging psychopath instead of the original's calm, intelligent character. Linna seems like a brat in the new version. Leon was a smart-ass with a keen sense of humor; the new Leon is just a dick (probably even gay, since he's not asking Priss for a date). We used to laugh at Daley pretending to be gay, but the new Daley is plain boring (maybe because he really has a thing for the new Leon).

2040 was actually quite good for the first half. Then it got frigging wierd. The new liquid metal hardsuits were ok, but IMO served more of a purpose to make the girls look more scantily clad. Some plot angles went downhill and the ending pissed me off, and left me going WTF :blink::blink: What are they supposed to do now?

If it stayed like the beginning it would have been fine. It was creative yes, but the second half had some of the girls acting out of character, and the situations were nowhere near what one would have expected, nor the kind of stuff they were forced to fight. Nene recieved a decent level of character development at least. I'd give it a low B to a C+ for how it ended. It was on a much better track early on, and I really liked Linna. Be prepared to be surprised by how the show works itself out, to that I have to give it credit.

I hope that 2041 fares better, and can redeem itself.

One thing I never figured out was how the hell did the space elevator and cargo drop/off and pick up thing work? I have tried, but it doesn't add up.

The original OVA rocked and I would have loved to see it continue properly, but would at least settle for a proper remester.

BTW, in 2040, Leon did have his thing for Priss. Once toward the end they managed to kiss. Daley actually was gay, not that it mattered.

Edit in: Yes a sequel series, 2041 tentative, is in the works if someone didn't know. No details or dates yet.

Edited by Anubis

I found 2040 dissappointing in comparison to the original. The only thing I liked is that the hardsuit designs from Bubblegum Crash were used. Vote-wise I've gone for Nene as I think she's just plain cute ^_^ By the way, Sylia is ok but she's the least interesting of the 4 in my opinion

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

Have to admit that I have been curious about the newer series.

A few notes about BGC 2040:

- While the animation is better, the violence level is severely watered-down. I forgot who broadcasted this series in Japan, but I bet it's TV Tokyo (the same people that didn't want blood on NOIR).

- BGC's strongest point was its music. Apparently, 2040's weakest point is its music. (And don't get me started with Akira Sudo's remake of "Konya Wa Hurricane.")

- 2040 changed the character traits to a point where many of them are hardly recognizable. Priss is a quiet schizoid unlike the original's spunky, hotheaded chick we've all grown to love. Sylia is a rampaging psychopath instead of the original's calm, intelligent character. Linna seems like a brat in the new version. Leon was a smart-ass with a keen sense of humor; the new Leon is just a dick (probably even gay, since he's not asking Priss for a date). We used to laugh at Daley pretending to be gay, but the new Daley is plain boring (maybe because he really has a thing for the new Leon).

Thanks for the info A7. I may have to check out an episode or two just to see.

What's broken with them?  I always go and look at that set and think I should buy it, but never do.  Should I not?

I bought vol. 1 on DVD around three years ago. The disc suffers from a lot of problems:

- Horrid DVD menu design.

- Crappy DVD-ROM features (crashes every computer using it).

- Video transfer looks like it was taken from the VHS version.

- Japanese audio needs improvement. English audio is much worse.

Overall, it looks no better than a HK bootleg. Hell, my VHS copies of the laserdiscs look 10 times better than the DVD.

At this year's Anime Expo, I talked to an AnimEigo representative about the possibility of releasing a remastered version of BGC. He said that M2K currently holds the DVD rights and as soon as their license expires, AnimEigo will probably work on remastering the series.

I'll just wait for that day...

Yeah I was there with you.

I also didnt care for the charicter designer for BGC 2040. You just cant beat Sonada.