Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

sh9000

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I know this is going to be horrible, and yet...I kinda want to see it.

I’m with you there. Sometimes bad movies can still be kinda fun and this looks like a train wreck, but there are things here and there that I’m kinda liking, like that chompy box, my daughter made one of those out of card paper a couple years ago 

30 minutes ago, Big s said:

like that chompy box

You mean a mimic?

Yeah, I mean, my gut reaction after the horrible 2000 D&D film (which, somehow, actually had a pair of made-for-TV and direct-to-video sequels?!) is to stay far, far away from this one.  But, as a player, I enjoyed seeing stuff like the gelatinous cube, the owlbear, and the displacer beast in the trailer.  I've read that it's not a generic D&D, like the 2000 film, either.  It's set in the Forgotten Realms, with scenes supposedly taking place in Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Icewind Dale, and the Underdark, and that the villain is a Red Wizard of Thay.  Plus, unlike 2000 film which had Marlon Wayans, Jeremy Irons, and a bunch of nobodies I actually like Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, and Justice Smith.  I'll give this one a fair shake.

5 hours ago, danth said:

I think it would be pretty dumb not to go for it now, with Marvel fatigue being strong, and Stranger Things boosting the popularity of D&D.

There’s other stuff like Vox Machina that’s more of a parody and non related fantasy stuff like the new game of thrones show and lord of the rings and Witcher and Willow. This is kinda the time to cash in while fantasy stuff is hot. A few years ago it was zombies and  super heroes. Fantasy stuff seems to be the in thing right now. Hopefully some good things come from the craze

• 6 months later...

Some of the creatures look silly. But I think silly is the intended effect. I'm hoping to enjoy the ride. Weather or not this is a decent success, i would hope more D&D films or series will be made, as there's endless possibilities. 

As much as I love the cartoon, I’m surprised that the live action stuff has gone closer to the humorous side rather than the more serious that the game and older novels were. Even stranger things seems to make it out to be more serious fantasy even though it’s more of a backdrop 

It's got an owlbear.  Of course I'm in.

7 minutes ago, Big s said:

As much as I love the cartoon, I’m surprised that the live action stuff has gone closer to the humorous side rather than the more serious that the game and older novels were. Even stranger things seems to make it out to be more serious fantasy even though it’s more of a backdrop 

While early D&D ran like a simulator for killing PCs, the game (and, arguably, the entire fantasy genre) has changed a lot over the last half-century.  Today it's going to depend a lot on the campaign you're playing and who's running it.  There's definitely more serious stuff to play, like Curse of Strahd or the newly-released Shadow of the Dragon Queen, but then there's also stuff like Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos that's basically D&D Harry Potter.  Or the campaign I'm running, where a player cast grease to break up a bar fight and one of the NPCs (who had the potential to be a mini boss later) rolled a 1 on his dex save, so I ruled that not only did he slip and fall on the grease but he broke his neck on a chair in the process.  Kinda set the tone for everything that's happened since, which is probably why my players got sidetracked from the main quest right before entering a dungeon to play with a bag of magic beans they found.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

It's got an owlbear.  Of course I'm in.

While early D&D ran like a simulator for killing PCs, the game (and, arguably, the entire fantasy genre) has changed a lot over the last half-century.  Today it's going to depend a lot on the campaign you're playing and who's running it.  There's definitely more serious stuff to play, like Curse of Strahd or the newly-released Shadow of the Dragon Queen, but then there's also stuff like Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos that's basically D&D Harry Potter.  Or the campaign I'm running, where a player cast grease to break up a bar fight and one of the NPCs (who had the potential to be a mini boss later) rolled a 1 on his dex save, so I ruled that not only did he slip and fall on the grease but he broke his neck on a chair in the process.  Kinda set the tone for everything that's happened since, which is probably why my players got sidetracked from the main quest right before entering a dungeon to play with a bag of magic beans they found.

My first DM, waaaaaaay back in high school (in the late 80's) ran his 1st ED game with a iron fist, unmercifully dice and utter delight at rebooting the party WEEKLY at times (especially if you were rolled up with Chaotic Neutral alignment. There was no "Might save your life, might screw your wife", just KILL KILL KILL (and rarely survived an encounter, typically) regardless of class. CN Wizard? the rest of party contemplates the loot from dead PC.... Oh, and when you have classic monty python sessions? (did i mention the Delayed Blast FB on a timer in a room we're trying to Bed Bars/Lift Gates to escape from.... I know i did NOT mentioned that the highest STR in the party, was 9....)

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

The CGI is well done but the costumes look like cosplay (high end cosplay but not the cosplay that matches studio costumes).  

My problem with the costumes is that they look too modern, but I’m not really looking at this as a serious film

50 minutes ago, Big s said:

My problem with the costumes is that they look too modern, but I’m not really looking at this as a serious film

Yup, most notably the guy with the grey jacket but the belts on him and the guy in brown cloak look like they came straight from the walmart racks too.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

Oh lord, not the wasted questions bit again.  Maybe I'll watch it when it comes on cable, but I still haven't even watched the older D&D movie yet.

Pro tip, if you don't watch the first one the you won't need a lobotomy.

No problem needing a lobotomy, at least from either of these movies.  Now if you want some real GOOD (as in bad but fun) camp I suggest Hawk the Slayer, or Krull if Hawk is not available for some reason.  Nobody but Nobody chews scenery better then Jack Palance.

3 hours ago, Old_Nash_II said:

But i wanted a movie with they, like from Reunault comercial from 3 years past

2 hours ago, Big s said:

That commercial is still a pretty epic ending to a show that deserved a great ending.

Well, that was fun. Didn't know it was a thing until today!