SENOVIS 1/4000 & 1/8000 SDF-2 "MEGAROAD-01"

arbit

Go give the man a million thumbs up, likes, subs, hearts, or whatever people do these days.

Megaroad-8000a.jpeg.968dfe0de1d07f6c2e16cbf8543d6a3e.jpeg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5436223?fbclid=IwAR21ilwOf0fzFfe6MFxPekVoaNymhKMJJl-DBuryKW1pbLut2g7bg7zXwE4

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/sdf-2-megaroad-01-1-8000-mini-scale

Edited by arbit

• arbit changed the title to SENOVIS 1/4000 SDF-2 "MEGAROAD-01" and (1/8000) MINI SCALE
1 hour ago, Mommar said:

How could you print something with that much detail?

In a word: resin. My printer (Elegoo Saturn 4K) has a max resolution of 0.05mm, which would be more than sufficient for this model. There are some 8K printers on the market now that knock the resolution down to 0.025mm. Some of the parts are large enough that they'd have to be broken into two pieces, though (at least for my printer). It would require a lot of resin unless you hollowed out the parts, which is not easy to do. More traditional filament (PLA) printers have max resolutions around 0.12mm, which is still pretty good for a model like this.

I figured out what the problem was, so I take back what I had said about the scaling. It was entirely Cura's fault. With that being said there does seem to be issues in getting it to work properly, This is coming from the solid variation full model that you uploaded. This could lead to a total print failure I believe. image.png.7a4b8584861f286cb1d56556072f76a0.png

Edited by Hikuro

10 hours ago, Hikuro said:

I figured out what the problem was, so I take back what I had said about the scaling. It was entirely Cura's fault. With that being said there does seem to be issues in getting it to work properly, This is coming from the solid variation full model that you uploaded. This could lead to a total print failure I believe. 

You are right, there are issues with the model.

Senovis is working on a V2.  Hold off on printing.  

Edited by arbit

Looks like Senovis already got the new version 2 uploaded and I'm no longer detecting errors. I'm gonna give this a shot since I'm not picking up any errors at this time. I did a little math with help from a scale calculator so if anyone else wants to follow along with the same idea, I'll be basing this on the old Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 to match the original Macross. According to my math the model at 1/3000 scale should be 590mm in length, so gotta upscale it to 132.45%, that's easy. 
I'll post some progress pictures if everything turns out well by the end of the week. 

10cm proto-type print came out great with .05 resolution.  Good practice to understand the model before a larger print.  I'm thinking of a 30cm version to match the Hasegawa SDF-1 in size.

What a beauty!

1027298768_2022-07-2702_06_22.jpg.5ecb67dfa1158e875abb8226f0418bd4.jpg337844510_2022-07-2702_07_01.jpg.cc98984a4cbb1aa56cd28ea5e222a58d.jpg1509470796_2022-07-2702_06_47.jpg.dfd29e1113c3773575b854859566c4fd.jpg 

Edited by arbit

On 7/25/2022 at 2:43 PM, Hikuro said:

"According to my math the model at 1/3000 scale should be 590mm in length, so gotta upscale it to 132.45%, that's easy."

Thanks. The answer I what I was looking for.

I got the main body done on my 1/3000 variant. Def some things I should of done differently on slicer that's made me lose some details at the engine area and a lot of supports failed resulting in bad formations on the side parts. But it's not a total loss or anything like that. Just means it'll be a lot harder to make it work, I'm probably also due to do some maintenance to tighten things up. 

I'm gonna think for a while if I want to continue or reprint again at a slower speed.  

Out of curiosity I pulled the top half of the city into Cura and sliced it for my Creality CR-6 SE using best print quality and lots of tree supports to help with all of the floating sections. Looks decent, but there will definitely be some cleanup after support removal. A 24hr print job doesn't scare me. Multiple sections of the 1/35 Gunstar I printed earlier this year required two days each (worth the wait).

image.png.be33c58b3ec04e1077fea1dc3bcf8002.png

image.png.4d7acc45e3cdb5262200b0f438c42b4a.png

Edited by Anasazi37

lZg0SCxl.jpg Cleaning these parts have been a nightmare for me. I've received a few good sized booboo's from my tools cause it's so hot and I get frustrated and next thing I know I'm needing a bandaid lol.

Got a little scale thing for you guys of the 1/3000 upscale I did with a 1/72 Kitz Concept VF-1J, so yeah this thing is massive.

I still need to print the bridge and the city scape which is happening right now....things have been really tough for me the last 2 weeks just lots going on so I haven't been able to finish the prints on this as fast as I had initially thought. But in truth I wish this model was broken down a bit more for easier printing as I've gotten a lot of lost details because they need supports to work. That's resulted in some areas not being as flush or nice looking as I"d want, and some areas like along the forward section of the ship have broken and I'll need to clean up and glue back together. That stuff I'm not going to do though until I have the majority of the ship ready. 

Truthfully I think in a small scale like 1/8000 and the likes, it's gonna be super cool. But for 1/3000 like what I'm doing, there's not enough details like recessed panels, antenna's, the bridge is to blocky and plain to look at etc etc. 

But hey, I'm not a quitter so I'm gonna keep working away at this and make it work. 

Edited by Hikuro

57 minutes ago, Hikuro said:

Truthfully I think in a small scale like 1/8000 and the likes, it's gonna be super cool. But for 1/3000 like what I'm doing, there's not enough details like recessed panels, antenna's, the bridge is to blocky and plain to look at etc etc.

Makes sense. I think at a latge scale I would consider adding some additional details by hand. I thought I would even 3d-design added details right on the part, such as the bridge.

54 minutes ago, arbit said:

Makes sense. I think at a latge scale I would consider adding some additional details by hand. I thought I would even 3d-design added details right on the part, such as the bridge.

Sure, I mean think of it like the golden days of model building, find other kits, cut up the pieces, add your greeblies and all that goodness to really impact the model. Or yeah you could take the existing model and you can add more details. Like I said, the bridge section of the model is far to blocky. It works for smaller scale, but what I'm doing it's not good at all. The base of the bridge that arches down should be much thinner almost meeting flush with the two detailed sections at the forward position. There should be more details like raised and recessed portions, but that should be all over the model in general. More so I think the wing section around the body is wrong. If I'm looking at the lineart correctly you can see in the forward facing view that the city I think expands out to the wing section so that should be hollow and needing window panels as well, probably sticking further out as well. 

48 minutes ago, oshanmacross said:

Ok, carry on!

But be advised your slicing program need to be able to scale logically.

Don't listen to me, resin printer will be soon after NAS upgrade ^_^

Not sure by what you mean saying scale logically. 

23 minutes ago, MacrossFan534 said:

I went to download this today but he removed it from both thingiverse and cults. Did anyone download the file, are you willing to share it with me?

I do!

Force of habit from early days on the web, l’ll put a link to mega or google drive here when l get home if it doesn’t violate any rules for everyone else.

I only have the 1/4000 IIRC.

1 hour ago, MacrossFan534 said:

I went to download this today but he removed it from both thingiverse and cults. Did anyone download the file, are you willing to share it with me?

Might've gotten a strike down. His VF library ain't up either.

2 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

Here go all, Looks like it's only 58.6 MB so I can attach it.
Only have the 1/4000, If anyone wants to print it for me for a price send me a DM, getting my resin printer is still a ways off.

Megaroad-01.rar 58.59 MB · 0 downloads

I'd recommend using PLA (filament) for the large parts and resin for the smaller, more detailed parts. Otherwise it would cost a small fortune to print the entire set in resin at 1/4000 and it would be very heavy. It's difficult to print resin parts so they're hollow yet strong, but it's easy to do that with PLA.

11 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

I'd recommend using PLA (filament) for the large parts and resin for the smaller, more detailed parts. Otherwise it would cost a small fortune to print the entire set in resin at 1/4000 and it would be very heavy. It's difficult to print resin parts so they're hollow yet strong, but it's easy to do that with PLA.

Right, 1/4000 is about 12-18 inches long?

Edited by oshanmacross

18 hours ago, wmkjr said:

Might've gotten a strike down. His VF library ain't up either.

17 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

Here go all, Looks like it's only 58.6 MB so I can attach it

Don't worry, but out of respect, please don't sell.

Edited by arbit