Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, Macross II, Macross Delta, Macross 7 Blu-rays and Music

sh9000

Well I've seen people describe it as a "anime high school drama with planes thrown in" in a derogatory sense, but tbh the bar was set low after the repeat of the love triangle in the final SDF episodes. 😝 And really, I ain't gonna complain about Plus' finale in the slightest (Movie version at least, the OVA's was so underwhelming by comparison)

Edited by TG Remix

11 hours ago, kazuo said:

I wouldn't expect any of this to be dubbed. That is just grasping at straws, let's be real. Same with 4K. Isn't going to happen, nothing else currently exists that has been scanned/mastered at that resolution. I'd love to be wrong about 4K, maybe Anime Limited can surprise us. That'd be amazing.

Imagine thinking Plus is "uninteresting" though, yeesh. 🥴

Eh, I thought Plus was kind of uninteresting for a Macross, too. I didn't think it was bad, and I did think it was okay, but it's one of my least favorite Macross things there is.

10 hours ago, TG Remix said:

Well I've seen people describe it as a "anime high school drama with planes thrown in" in a derogatory sense, but tbh the bar was set low after the repeat of the love triangle in the final SDF episodes. 😝 And really, I ain't gonna complain about Plus' finale in the slightest (Movie version at least, the OVA's was so underwhelming by comparison)

Yeah, those last 13 or so First Macross episodes were weird when I watched them a few years ago. I don't remember them being so weird in the context of Robotech. I think they made more sense there. It's been a long time since I watched Robotech, but it almost felt like a four part series considering those 13 episodes. If I was going to watch First Macross again, I'd probably just watch the first 26 episodes. I know I'd be missing the pivotal plot point of leaving the Earth to ensure the survival of humanity, but I could live with a cliff's notes version of that. It would have been better if they just worked that into the end of episode 26.

On 7/15/2022 at 4:57 AM, kazuo said:

I wouldn't expect any of this to be dubbed. That is just grasping at straws, let's be real. Same with 4K. Isn't going to happen, nothing else currently exists that has been scanned/mastered at that resolution. I'd love to be wrong about 4K, maybe Anime Limited can surprise us. That'd be amazing.

I don’t know. Sure, I wouldn’t expect a 4k remaster before Japan gets one. But I’m thinking there’s a good possibility that Anime Limited would want a Macross Plus collector’s set that gives users as much choice as possible to set preferred sub and dubtitles. Here, I’m thinking how the Japan release from a few years back tweaked the English tracks. For instance, maybe there will be an option to flip between the original Manga sub/dub and the updated sub/dub for the OVA and movie? We will have to wait and see what the new licensing allows for with regard to domestic translation in the west.

Speaking about the show itself, man…it will never be uninteresting to me. Macross Plus and Macross II are what introduced me to actual Macross content back in the day. I remember watching them both on VHS tapes.

Before that, I only really knew about Robotech and the cut-up version of DYRL: Clash of the Bionoids. Those were cool in their own way but, for me, ended up being poor substitutes to the real Macross TV series and DYRL itself. Once I was able to access the actual content with decent subs, I was hooked.

On 7/15/2022 at 4:57 AM, kazuo said:

Well, remember... different strokes for different folks.

As I understand it, Macross Plus got something of a lukewarm reception in Japan because of how different it was from what audiences expected in a Macross sequel.  Much like the Macross II: Lovers Again OVA, it was more popular in the west where those expectations weren't as defined and audiences were generally more open to a more action-focused story.  (That situation was reversed with Macross 7, which Japanese fans adored and western fans watching the fansubs found very polarizing.)

Plus supposedly found itself seeing a bit of a renaissance after the Macross Frontier movies and the Blu-ray re-release the same way II did.

On 7/17/2022 at 1:13 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, remember... different strokes for different folks.

As I understand it, Macross Plus got something of a lukewarm reception in Japan because of how different it was from what audiences expected in a Macross sequel.  Much like the Macross II: Lovers Again OVA, it was more popular in the west where those expectations weren't as defined and audiences were generally more open to a more action-focused story.  (That situation was reversed with Macross 7, which Japanese fans adored and western fans watching the fansubs found very polarizing.)

Plus supposedly found itself seeing a bit of a renaissance after the Macross Frontier movies and the Blu-ray re-release the same way II did.

Now imagine if they did a mashup of Macross Plus and Macross II...

...they could call it Macross II Plus II. :p

*runs*

On 7/1/2022 at 6:32 PM, azrael said:

And what about streaming? Not that I stream anime (or watch any anime these days...) but ya know...streaming is more prevalent in the West...

^^^ this so much.

While it's great that Big West is tending to their aging Western fanbase with these physical releases, I'm really hoping to see some growth in the fanbase. GenZ isn't interested in physical media and Big West's social media presence is practically non-existant. It'll be amazing to see what could happen if Big West made Delta available on streaming, combined with more social media engagement.

Oh, I think there’s a chance for streaming licenses if Macross gets a positive reception here. Whether or not Big West is working on those license contracts concurrently with these blu-ray licensing deals or at a later date is my question. I guess we will find out eventually.

On 7/15/2022 at 10:57 AM, kazuo said:

Macross Plus is the one Macross release I’m least interested in. No that is bad but I’m more interested in Macross II, 7 and Frontier.

The way I understand it is that Kawamori had a different setting in mind for the story of Plus that was not Macross.

And I think it shows that in a way that it is very atypical for Macross.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I can't get a good image of this, but could this mean there is a new Bluray release of Plus coming soon?
(center of the image)

Perhaps RE-release. There was a blu-ray release in 2013. Unfortunately we don't know if the North America-release will be based on the 2013 release or a new remaster. Anime Limited did not say when asked.

Let's hope it's an actual 4K UHD release of Mac plus. Not sure why they would want to release a regular old Blu-ray in the age of 4K releases and the fact that the majority of people are probably on 4K TV's now. If that happens then hopefully it opens the door for a 4K UHD release of DYRL.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/6/2023 at 8:48 AM, sh9000 said:

Nice.  I am all in on that when it opens.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish Big West would offer the option to purchase high-resolution digital downloads with English subtitles of all the various Macross animes, internationally

To be honest, given the limited storage space I have and also the fact that from my experience in the country I live, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs tend to either scratch and become unreadable or deteriorate due to the heat and humidity here within a decade of purchasing and become unreadable.

These days I far prefer buying digital downloads, rather than expensive and relatively fragile physical discs, with their limited lifespan.

Big West have to consider digital service (both streaming and download) if they really want a Macross worldwide take off, since it has outclassed physical release in many territories.

I'm still surprised that they (apparently) didn't choose to team up with a global streaming service as soon as the agreement was settled, yet it's the best way to target a large audience more or less quickly. At least faster than physical releases that were only announced in the US so far (also in Europe for PLUS), and which are targetting fans only.

More than two years have passed since the agreement, and it's still hard to understand Big West global strategy. Maybe they're waiting for the next work for a real, worldwide release of Macross sequels. For now, they're only targetting the US, some countries in Asia (South Korea had Frontier TV, Taiwan got Frontier movies), a little bit UK and very little bit Europe.

Edited by SSK

• sh9000 changed the title to Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, Macross II, Macross Delta, Macross 7 Blu-rays and Music

I'm sure announcements of streaming licenses will follow as the home video releases are prepared. After all, you don't want to completely destroy the market for the home video physical media by leading with streaming. They'll probably release them around the same time so they can market the home video release in ads on the streaming release for the folks who are using streaming with ads.

10 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm sure announcements of streaming licenses will follow as the home video releases are prepared. After all, you don't want to completely destroy the market for the home video physical media by leading with streaming. They'll probably release them around the same time so they can market the home video release in ads on the streaming release for the folks who are using streaming with ads.

Yeah. That makes sense.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

It's Macross Plus Movie Edition together with the four-part OVA on blu-ray.

That is a lot of Macross Plus!  If I can, I will purchase this, would prefer to have it to purchase on my iPhone.  I hope that all the Macross that will be available for the US market is able to be acquired this way.

Twich

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

So for whatever reason, maybe I just imagined it, I was under the impression there would be more news about Macross physical releases at Otakon, that the above announcement was just Day 1. Is this true? Is there more news? Or am I just crazy?

No one said that was happening for sure. Though I certainly hoped for it. Alas all their news was stuff we already knew about.