Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, Macross II, Macross Delta, Macross 7 Blu-rays and Music

sh9000

20 minutes ago, Gamma00Ray said:

ad6

Seriously, not trolling one bit, I'm extremely excited for this! I might be the only one, but Macross 7 is my favorite Macross. All of this great news is making my weekend!

You must be new here.

13 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's not my favorite series, but you'd can bet your life I'll buy at least one copy.

I've waited for this for too damned long to take half-measures. :D 

You bet that when I got the first Macross 7 CD at Anime NYC a few years ago, I hopped on the train as fast as I could, flew into my Jeep in Jersey, popped it in the CD player, and rocked out all the way home :D

I think I was the only weirdo at the whole convention that liked Macross 7 :D

Oh good. Now I'll just be old and grey (not old and white) by the time they release all Macross domestically.

edit: At this point, I'm very tempted to NOT import Delta movie 2 in September. I can wait another year or 2 for a domestic release.
Perhaps Zero and MD7 for next year's announcement.

• azrael changed the title to Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, Macross II Macross Delta, Macross 7 Blu-rays
1 minute ago, azrael said:

Oh good. Now I'll just be old and grey by the time they release all Macross domestically.

I don't think it'll take Rightstuf/Nozomi that long to release all of their stuff. Three years tops. They've been good at putting out great quality stuff at not the quickest pace but not something that you'll wait until you have both knees replaced either. They've been decently providing us with Gundam for the past 5 years or so.

• azrael changed the title to Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, Macross II, Macross Delta, Macross 7 Blu-rays
10 minutes ago, darkranger12 said:

I'm shook that they actually released Macross 7 too.....since everyone was saying it was gonna be mired by music rights issues.

That argument went out when it all popped up on itunes.

30 minutes ago, darkranger12 said:

I'm shook that they actually released Macross 7 too.....since everyone was saying it was gonna be mired by music rights issues.

The rights were a problem when it was new... now that it's a twenty year old series the music rights ain't so pricy. :) 

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's not my favorite series, but you'd can bet your life I'll buy at least one copy.

I've waited for this for too damned long to take half-measures. :D 

^ Ditto.

Now hopefully the Macross Zero Blu-ray release will follow soon!

Holy poopsticks.

II, +, Δ, F, and 7 ALL announced for release in one weekend? I really didn't expect FIVE Macross shows to all be announced at once in my most optimistic dreams.

Does this include the Frontier and Delta movies?

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Does this include the Frontier and Delta movies?

Doesn't look like it. Those will probably coming on the next round. It seems like they want to do some theater runs on those.

Haven't checked into MW in a while, but with all that is going on I just had to check in. What a time to be alive as a Macross fans. English language releases of almost the entire catalogue.

I'm speechless!!

I need to ready my wallet. I hope they take the time and care to do this right and we get the releases in the right quality.

Crazy news from AX this weekend. If you asked me last week if I thought they'd release Frontier in the West, let alone 7... I would've just laughed at you. Jokes on me now!

Adrian Lozano squashed the 7 music rights allegedly being a problem a while back, so the holdup was never about the music, it was always about HG, nothing more, nothing less. Now that HG has been dealt with, there is basically nothing stopping anything Macross outside of Space War I and the Movie from being officially released in the West.

The main things I am curious about:

• What about the Macross 7 Movie?
  • Is Macross II going to be a new film transfer, or is it going to be an upscale? (barf)
  • What's up with the randoms releasing Plus?
  • Is Plus just going to be a copy-paste of the Japanese Blu-Rays? I'd gladly pay 2x for a new film transfer.
  • Will Plus use or at least include the Neil Nadelman subtitles? I don't like the revised subtitles on the JP discs.

I HAVE QUESTIONS. But I'm also very excited!

I.....never thought..... in all my years....nay, in my lifetime......That this would happen.... for over 20 years.......waiting.....hoping.....it's so beautiful.....the pulchritudinous of it all.....😭

I wouldn’t call Anime Limited some random company. They are a well-known distributor out of Scotland that normally has its anime license constrained to UK/Europe. I’m guessing this is one of those cases where they got permission to reach more countries in the west.

The videophiles at places like forum.blu-ray.com usually rank their encodes highly. For my part, I can confirm improved quality on AL releases like Outlaw Star and Violet Evergarden—especially when comparing these to Funimation’s encodes for the same titles. 

For the remaining Macross titles, I hope either AL, Animeigo, or Nozomi can pick up the others. If Big West is still shopping around, though, another very good choice is Discotek.

Boy, if Animeigo or Discotek got the blu-ray license for SDF Macross? That would be amazing.B))

Edited by technoblue

14 hours ago, kazuo said:

The main things I am curious about:

• What about the Macross 7 Movie?
  • Is Macross II going to be a new film transfer, or is it going to be an upscale? (barf)
  • What's up with the randoms releasing Plus?
  • Is Plus just going to be a copy-paste of the Japanese Blu-Rays? I'd gladly pay 2x for a new film transfer.
  • Will Plus use or at least include the Neil Nadelman subtitles? I don't like the revised subtitles on the JP discs.

I HAVE QUESTIONS. But I'm also very excited!

They haven't indicated when or where M7 movie will come. I suspect it may come later. We still have

• Zero
  • MD7
  • M7 movie
  • Fleet of the Strongest Women (maybe lumped in with Encore ?)
  • Frontier movies on Blu-ray
  • Delta movies on Blu-ray or theatrical release
  • FB 2012 (maybe tied up with DYRL?)

They haven't indicated whether II  is a new film transfer or upscale. II had the least amount of release info of all then news this weekend.

The 7 movie (The Galaxy Is Calling Me) along with all the 7 Plus shorts were mentioned, It's Dynamite that was in question. They started to show an ep that was cut off from the stream that was said to be Shawn Kleckner's fave ep, and I'll bet that was FotSW. It looks like 7 will be broken into 2 sets like the Japanese release, so I bet everything will be there.

The bigger question is which masters for Frontier & Delta will they get (broadcast, 1st blu-ray, or 2nd blu-ray).

II will be the same HD remaster as the Japanese release, Animeigo wouldn't have picked it up if it were anything less.

As for Plus, I'm not familiar with the studio that snagged it, but we'll have subs on the remastered OVA at least, and possibly the same unteresting translation of movie edition.

Another potential danger point though, I hope whoever eventually gets DYRL is smart enough not to take the edited first HD master.

Edited by Keith

55 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Are the Rightstuf Blurays usually region locked?

Seems like Macross Plus (i.e. the most uninteresting Macross) will also be released in the EU:

https://animeblurayuk.wordpress.com/2022/07/02/anime-limited-to-release-macross-plus-on-blu-ray-in-uk-europe-and-united-states/amp/

Like anything, it depends o  whether BW requests it in the contract.

2 hours ago, Scyla said:

Are the Rightstuf Blurays usually region locked?

Seems like Macross Plus (i.e. the most uninteresting Macross) will also be released in the EU:

https://animeblurayuk.wordpress.com/2022/07/02/anime-limited-to-release-macross-plus-on-blu-ray-in-uk-europe-and-united-states/amp/

Right. Anime Limited usually distributes to UK/Europe like I noted above. What’s interesting is that they have a western license covering more countries.

This is a rare—also newsworthy—thing.

Hell has frozen over, Macross 7 finally gets a western release. 

I was so pissed that no one released it back when it was first announced. I actually bought the japanese LaserDiscs so i could watch it. Eventually got the vhs fansubs from the internet the old way (mail a money order in) tape by tape. 

Ahhh the good old days.

26 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Hell has frozen over, Macross 7 finally gets a western release. 

I was so pissed that no one released it back when it was first announced. I actually bought the japanese LaserDiscs so i could watch it. Eventually got the vhs fansubs from the internet the old way (mail a money order in) tape by tape. 

Ahhh the good old days.

I've got the Japanese blu-ray sets, and will gladly get the U.S. ones too. As surreal as it is at this point, I am really curious to see how it sells. Especially in light of all the kickstarters that have come out for classic show remasters in the last couple of years.

7 minutes ago, Keith said:

I've got the Japanese blu-ray sets, and will gladly get the U.S. ones too. As surreal as it is at this point, I am really curious to see how it sells. Especially in light of all the kickstarters that have come out for classic show remasters in the last couple of years.

Same. I do hope all the domestic sales pull in respectable numbers, but for now it’s wait and see. 

The only set, from those announced, that has me hesitating on a day-one pre-order is Delta. I’m happy with the subtitled Japanese imports…but if we get a really nice collector’s edition, I can see myself picking up another copy to support more Macross here.

First of all thanks Shawn for straightening out my account you rock man. It's good to be back :)

Secondly this is great news. Been a long time coming, especially for a lot of us old heads. I can't wait to hear more details particularly on Macross Plus and 7, and what potential extras they will contain. I'm really hoping we finally get the Macross Fastest Liftoff special that came with the original JP Macross 7 VHS/DVDs. I remember watching that special ages ago and loving it.

I guess the only other burning question is, are we getting these in 4K UHD Blurays or standard Blurays? Have they indicated either way?

Edited by isamu

31 minutes ago, isamu said:

First of all thanks Shawn for straightening out my account you rock man. It's good to be back :)

Secondly this is great news. Been a long time coming, especially for a lot of us old heads. I can't wait to hear more details particularly on Macross Plus and 7, and what potential extras they will contain. I'm really hoping we finally get the Macross Fastest Liftoff special that came with the original JP Macross 7 VHS/DVDs. I remember watching that special ages ago and loving it.

I guess the only other burning question is, are we getting these in 4K UHD Blurays or standard Blurays? Have they indicated either way?

I don't think anyone has put our 4k of any Macross. The obvious prime candidate would be DYRL, but that heavily depends on who gets the license. There's a literal handful of anime that's come out in 4k here, and haven't noticed much come out in Japan either.

1 hour ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

It's really cool to see Macross shows finally make their way over here! I'll take physical media over streaming any day.

Assuming English subs are a given? And I wonder how much money I will need to set aside to buy them all? 😁

If we don't get English subs in a US release, we riot.

I think English subs are perhaps the safest bet ever in history. I'd be surprised if there's an English dub, though.

It didn't "sound" like Nozomi had dub plans, but we'll see. As for Price, the Gundam sets shojld be a decent baseline. $100 for 25 premium (or more directlly, $200 for 50 ep premium sets), $50 for regular edition 25 ep sets. The real question is whether the premium sets will havr exclusive on disc extra's, or exclusive physical extra's.

I wouldn't expect any of this to be dubbed. That is just grasping at straws, let's be real. Same with 4K. Isn't going to happen, nothing else currently exists that has been scanned/mastered at that resolution. I'd love to be wrong about 4K, maybe Anime Limited can surprise us. That'd be amazing.

Imagine thinking Plus is "uninteresting" though, yeesh. 🥴