Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, Macross II, Macross Delta, Macross 7 Blu-rays and Music

sh9000

CBB8BFB3-C239-4E6D-B0CD-B0D3ED1979BB.jpeg.372801a51096090f5f98690e177cf622.jpeg

D158BA8C-7E0B-4742-8A61-18B9027C1B7C.jpeg.e2e92f02f7c67616f8b1115871b1defc.jpeg

F0AAFD86-E285-4B63-8CE8-C9B1C597A4C5.jpeg.4307b9bcd6255e7efa2fb81bc4345f4c.jpeg

2D5DFC70-CEF8-416E-97E2-FB78550B1A5F.jpeg.a4977ed9521cb6329c2eb433c7c97945.jpeg

Macross Plus blu-ray from Anime LTD.

Macross Frontier and Macross Delta blu-rays from Right Stuf.

Macross II blu-ray from Animeigo.

Edited by sh9000

• sh9000 changed the title to Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, Macross II, and Macross Delta Blu-rays

And what about streaming? Not that I stream anime (or watch any anime these days...) but ya know...streaming is more prevalent in the West...

Edit: never mind. They're coming as box sets (please be small)
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-07-01/macross-frontier-macross-delta-anime-offered-on-home-video-outside-japan/.187277

20 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Terrible apples, gave me a bad case of var syndrome. 0/10, would not buy again.

Implying we bought them the first time around either. :p 

At this point, I'm only really interested in Plus if they can straighten out the subtitles from the earlier release, and fix the English audio for the OVA version.  I wouldn't mind an official version of Frontier either, but my wallet is hiding in fear right now from other rather large commitments. :ph34r:

Edited by Chronocidal

1 minute ago, ValkAddict said:

^ Ditto. Will definitely be getting Frontier and Delta.

But what about Macross Zero? I know it's not a fan favorite, but I liked it.

I notice Zero and 7 are missing from this... I assume there needs to be some additional legal wrangling due to those shows using characters from the original series due to HG.

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I notice Zero and 7 are missing from this... I assume there needs to be some additional legal wrangling due to those shows using characters from the original series due to HG.

I think you may be right on the money there.  ALong with why we don't see any mention of SDF, DYRL, and 2012.

1 minute ago, Knight26 said:

I think you may be right on the money there.  ALong with why we don't see any mention of SDF, DYRL, and 2012.

The book from Udon mentions Flash Back 2012... the DYRL rights are a perennially sticky wicket due to the uncertainty over who actually owns the distribution rights (a third party not BW or HG), and HG has the distro rights to SDFM.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I was going to say the UN SPACY logo and Kite Roundel, but doesn't M+ and MII also use them?

Just now, pengbuzz said:

I was going to say the UN SPACY logo and Kite Roundel, but doesn't M+ and MII also use them?

Macross Plus does, yes... Macross II has its own variant of the roundel that is subtly different.

I suspect Zero and are more of backburner titles they will eventually get to and less of a legal matter. Those titles are less well known to current audiences (Zero is 20 years old and 7 is 27 years old). Going with titles that are current and still, fairly, fresh in current audiences minds is a safer route, money-wise. Older Gundam titles got pushed aside in favor of the newer ones, so that’s my frame of reference. 

Zero and 7 are passing into “eventually”-release territory with every passing year.  I just hope I’m not greying anymore when those come out.

edit: No, I take that back. The more I think about it, I WILL be old and greying when Zero is released. I’ll be old and white when 7 & MD7 are released. The Frontier movies will likely be released to home video next. Then the Delta movies. Then, eventually, Zero, first. Then, eventually, 7/MD7. (took nearly 20 years to be released and ZZ took near 30 years, so there’s precedent already)

48 minutes ago, azrael said:

I suspect Zero and are more of backburner titles they will eventually get to and less of a legal matter. Those titles are less well known to current audiences (Zero is 20 years old and 7 is 27 years old). Going with titles that are current and still, fairly, fresh in current audiences minds is a safer route, money-wise. Older Gundam titles got pushed aside in favor of the newer ones, so that’s my frame of reference. 

That explanation works for Frontier and Delta... but both II and Plus are older and they're getting Blu-rays immediately.

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That explanation works for Frontier and Delta... but both II and Plus are older and they're getting Blu-rays immediately.

II and Plus have released in NA for so long, all it's doing is changing distribution hands. Getting those into Blu-ray format is trivial at this point.

3 minutes ago, azrael said:

II and Plus have released in NA for so long, all it's doing is changing distribution hands. Getting those into Blu-ray format is trivial at this point.

They've also been out of print for a long time... and the old releases had a lot of issues.  

If they're going to do it right, they'd be doing it more or less from scratch the same way they're doing Frontier or Delta.

I'm happy for this news. I'll definitely be picking them up as I'm able. Even Plus, which I'm not a big fan of. I don't really have anything to add here except to say that I have just one Rightstuf/Nozomi Ultra Edition, and it's massive. It's the Gundam Wing one. I figured it would be the only Ultra Edition that I'd ever get, just because Wing was such a huge part of that time of my being a teenager, but I might have to shoot for at least Frontier's Ultra Edition.

The Wing one came with a whole-ass book filled with a boatload of art and some interviews. It wasn't a small DVD sized book like in other special editions like Outlaw Star or whatever. It was a full fat book. I liked it, but I wish it covered more of Wing's road to being shown in the US, the US response to it, interviews with the English voice actors, etc. It was pretty much just the same old interviews with the Japanese people involved in its original mid-90s production for Japan. Also, and this probably isn't anyone's fault, just packaging reasons with respect to practicality for fitting a whole-ass book in the Ultra Edition set along with all of the discs and the other knick-knacks, the box actually had a lot of empty space. I was able to fill this empty space with my two mid-00s Anime Legends TV series DVD sets, and I was even able to squeeze in the Endless Waltz DVD from back in the day.

I'm hoping that the Frontier and Delta boxes aren't quite so huuuuuuuuuuuuuge. I think the other Gundam Ultra Edition boxes ended up being Wing huuuuuuuuuuuuuge, though. I don't believe the Revolutionary Girl Utena limited complete blu ray box set was considered an Ultra Edition, but if they made something like that for the Macross boxes then that would be fine for me. That actually fits on my anime shelf!

41 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They've also been out of print for a long time... and the old releases had a lot of issues.  

If they're going to do it right, they'd be doing it more or less from scratch the same way they're doing Frontier or Delta.

Plus and II may be out of print on physical media but they're available for streaming.

No, I think they were just saving it for the reaction factor. I anticipate HG will announce they're involved in a DYRL release at their panel Monday. Anything less would make their panel as useless as ever.

Edited by Keith

Finally, I can legally support this franchise! 😄

After DYRL having English as a semi-important point in the movie, and the fact this franchise was meant for international waters, this feels like a long time coming. Absolutely glad I got into this franchise last year. Hope to Zero and 7 Dynamite getting a release as well.

Edited by TG Remix

9 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Just saw on FB that RightStuf is releasing Macross 7 on Bluray... so I guess that just leaves Zero.

ad6

Seriously, not trolling one bit, I'm extremely excited for this! I might be the only one, but Macross 7 is my favorite Macross. All of this great news is making my weekend!

4 minutes ago, Keith said:

No, I think they were just saving it for the reaction factor. I anticipate HG will announce they're involved in a DYRL release at their panel Monday. Anything less would make their panel as useless as ever.

TBH, I'd bet on their panel being as useless as ever. 

I remember AnimEigo's Robert Woodhead mentioning the thing holding up the boat on releasing DYRL? outside Japan was that nobody knew who owned the distribution rights from that awkward time of Clash of the Bionoids and the like.

Just now, Gamma00Ray said:

ad6

Seriously, not trolling one bit, I'm extremely excited for this! I might be the only one, but Macross 7 is my favorite Macross. All of this great news is making my weekend!

It's not my favorite series, but you'd can bet your life I'll buy at least one copy.

I've waited for this for too damned long to take half-measures. :D